Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Barn find

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 11:15 PM
rawger
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Barn find

What's the best way to rejuvenate a Shovel that's been setting in a garage in Phoenix for more than 3 decades?
3,335 original miles, 77 FXE, tank drained in '78.
original service manual.
any tips & hints appreciated.
Thanx

Attached Thumbnails Barn find-77-fxe-003.jpg  
Old 05-18-2014, 06:58 AM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 2,867 Posts

( all ) the seals and gaskets will start to leak - tires - oil and fuel lines are plastic - not rubber anymore - all the brakes will need a complete over haul - carb -- hope your handy

Old 05-18-2014, 08:53 AM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,408 Likes on 879 Posts

very cool! looks like more of a living room find not a barn find, haha. that's some old stereo equipment back there... good luck, like john said, you will have to go thru the whole bike and replace everything that isn't metal (except that cool seat) and clean up what is. battery is probably shot too ;-)

Old 05-18-2014, 10:40 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,210 Likes on 1,480 Posts

Take photos of everything from every angle before you start disassembly (helps putting it back together....even with the factory manual). Like has been said seals and rubber are worthless after 3 decades of sitting. And if has been sitting on the ground in the same spot, those tires are gonna be squared and not round.

Think you just have to decide where you are gonna start. From the pic you posted it lokks pretty close to stock. I am a person who favors close to stock, but that is just me. With that I would probably start my way from front to back. Pull front end, change seals on forks, change fork oil, relube steering head, obvioulsy change front brake pads and fluid as well.

After that you can get it up on a stand lock the front end in and go after the engine, then the taranny and then the rear end and swing arm. Doing one section at a time allows you to keep track of everything as well. Just take the time and do it right, one time, the first time.

If I recall isn't most of the main wiring under the the cap over the headlight. When you take a look you will be able to see if it was a hack job or if it is stock.

Nice score. Always liked those turtle-tank HDs.

Old 05-18-2014, 02:03 PM
fireman64
Road Warrior
Received 1,583 Likes on 329 Posts

Thats good looking bike. congrats.

Old 05-18-2014, 02:12 PM
heritageblue2013
Grand HDF Member
Received 556 Likes on 308 Posts

Put gas in and ride the hell out of it!

Old 05-20-2014, 01:41 AM
rawger
Novice
Default barn find

Thanks for all the replies,
I am not a mechanic but I do almost everything myself.
Bought my first bike when I was 14, this is bike number 13.
The pic is in my garage, been a vintage stereo fanatic for a long time.
I will take your advise and take on one component at a time.
With this low miles I will keep it completely stock, would like to enter in bike shows when complete. Trophies would go well with this cherry.
Where can I search to find if the tires are original.
And I think the seat and sissybar are period correct, might leave them if I can prove it.
Thanks again.
Love this site, learning much shovelness.

Old 05-20-2014, 09:34 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,210 Likes on 1,480 Posts

Make sure you get a factory manual. When you figure out where to start, read that section and then read it again. Manual will also tell what type of tires were on the bike when it left the factory. As far a bike events, no one judging will bust your chops because you don't have factory original 70's tires.

And remember the bike can only be original once. I would stay away from 'customozing' with all the extra chroming and steel braiding and updated brakes and such. While it make look nice, it devalues what appears to be a pretty close to stock condition bike.

Old 05-21-2014, 01:08 PM
Krutch
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sitting is hard on bikes and cars. Gaskets dry, seals can rot, Fuel and oil lines turn hard or disintegrate, and rust can develop inside the engine, tranny, and fuel tank. Some times even the oil tank can rust where the oil has wicked from the walls. Mice and other pests can build nests in the pipes and if any valves have sat open it is an open invitation to invasion from such pests. Moisture at least!
I have seen some Pans (shovels too) that sat for a while and new gas, oil, plugs and a few kicks it goes down the road. But if any of the stated above conditions exist, it could do some damage to any bike.
One that has sat should have a through inspection by a qualified wrench. Especially if the bike is to be ridden on the highway soon.

Old 05-22-2014, 08:04 PM
rawger
Novice
Default barn find

Thanks
I will take my time and check everything before riding.
My daily driver is 07 FLHTP.
No need to rush this FXE.
The more time I spend with her, the prettier she gets.

Quick Reply: Barn find