Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Questionable?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 10:21 AM
ShrinerRider
Road Captain

Received 106 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Questionable?

Going to look at at 74 FLH this afternoon. The case matches the green title, but there is no VIN on the frame, due to being cut to be raked. Should I be concerned about the lack of VIN? The tank and bags are stretched so it is far from stock, looks like a good deal, but a little nervous.
Thanks
Jason

Old 05-27-2014, 10:27 AM
1BRAVO9
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 579 Likes on 270 Posts

As long is it is titled and if you are titling it in a different state insure that state will issue a title for it. Different states have different standards on what and how they will title it. If it is the same state, I would feel comfortable.

In one state I live in I had to get a custom bike inspected and assigned a VIN by the Dpartment of Public Safety first, then they would issue me a title.

If the price is right and the current title is valid and in my state, I would definitely be good to go.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:29 AM
ShrinerRider
Road Captain

Received 106 Likes on 59 Posts

Same state, feeling better thanks!

Old 05-27-2014, 10:46 AM
MIKE93SVT
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

1974 means the title goes to the frame. So I wouldn't buy it for any more than the parts are worth. If you're in a state that will assign a vin without jumping through hoops, then go for it. But cops know that there should be a vin on the frame. Asking for a headache or possible impound if a LEO wanted to ruin your day over false paperwork.

Just my input, my FLT has a state assigned vin. But I only paid 1,800 because of that. I know it won't be as valueabel without a HD vin on the title

Mike

Old 05-27-2014, 01:19 PM
1BRAVO9
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by MIKE93SVT
1974 means the title goes to the frame. So I wouldn't buy it for any more than the parts are worth. If you're in a state that will assign a vin without jumping through hoops, then go for it. But cops know that there should be a vin on the frame. Asking for a headache or possible impound if a LEO wanted to ruin your day over false paperwork.

Just my input, my FLT has a state assigned vin. But I only paid 1,800 because of that. I know it won't be as valueabel without a HD vin on the title

Mike
If it were a newer bike I would be concerned about the issues you mentioned, but it being a 1974 I would not have any problem getting it, for a good price, and having a state assigned VIN.

Old 05-27-2014, 02:07 PM
LilRosie
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ShrinerRider
Going to look at at 74 FLH this afternoon. The case matches the green title, but there is no VIN on the frame, due to being cut to be raked. Should I be concerned about the lack of VIN? The tank and bags are stretched so it is far from stock, looks like a good deal, but a little nervous.
Thanks
Jason
Is the bike titled as a 1974 Harley w/ HD numbers ? If so you could encounter some major problems if pulled over by a knowledgeable cop. If it's titled as a 1974 Harley Davidson, the vin #'s is based on the frame vin #, even tho the reg #'s numbers match the motor numbers, they will look on the frame neck for the #'s. No #'s on the frame neck of a 1974 Harley, call out the hook.

Old 05-27-2014, 06:48 PM
1BRAVO9
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by LilRosie
Is the bike titled as a 1974 Harley w/ HD numbers ? If so you could encounter some major problems if pulled over by a knowledgeable cop. If it's titled as a 1974 Harley Davidson, the vin #'s is based on the frame vin #, even tho the reg #'s numbers match the motor numbers, they will look on the frame neck for the #'s. No #'s on the frame neck of a 1974 Harley, call out the hook.

What are you basing that on?

Old 05-27-2014, 06:56 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 2,867 Posts

Originally Posted by Machiavelli
What are you basing that on?
this is a flat side shovel and has no number from harley BUT it has the pad and they took it and he did not get it back

Attached Thumbnails Questionable?-daytonatheifttaskforce_zps9f891e60.jpg  
Old 05-27-2014, 07:02 PM
1BRAVO9
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
this is a flat side shovel and has no number from harley BUT it has the pad and they took it and he did not get it back

So was it stolen? That's an "Auto Theft Task Force", what is the basis for taking it and not getting it back? Also do you know these circumstances personally?

Old 05-27-2014, 07:49 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 2,867 Posts

Originally Posted by Machiavelli
So was it stolen? That's an "Auto Theft Task Force", what is the basis for taking it and not getting it back? Also do you know these circumstances personally?
no it was not stolen - it was the ****en morons who did not know the block number was all harley had in the 60s and the frame pad was added a year or so before they started stamping it AMF as in transision in those days of owning harley but had not paid for the company totally yet so the new AMF bike was really not untill 1972

buy the time the guy confirmed to them they made a mistake it was auctioned off already

you need to buy sometimg off and just not right and see what happens maybe then you will get it

Quick Reply: Questionable?