Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Lost frame

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 04:10 PM
pyroboy
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lost frame

I have a 1981 FXE and the frame was "lost". Long story. Does anyone know if my 1981 motor and tranny will fit in a 1976 FXE frame without too many modifications?
Thanks!

Old 06-05-2014, 04:17 PM
TpaGreenHornet
Tourer
Received 192 Likes on 85 Posts

so you lost your 81 frame but want to know if all the stolen parts of it will fit a 76 frame you found on the cheap to register a legal bike????

for a first post a doubt you'll get much help around here on this

Old 06-05-2014, 04:33 PM
pyroboy
Stage II

Not like that at all. I was in a serious accident a number of years ago with the 81 shovel. I was having a friend rebuild the bike for me. He had sent the frame out to be straightened and painted, but in the interim he passed away (cancer). No one knows where he sent the frame, including me obviously. So I have all my original parts except the frame.
I just saw a frame for 1976 FXE advertised for sale and just wondered if this would work for me.
Thanks for the response.

Old 06-05-2014, 04:44 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,779 Likes on 18,557 Posts

Originally Posted by TpaGreenHornet
so you lost your 81 frame but want to know if all the stolen parts of it will fit a 76 frame you found on the cheap to register a legal bike????

for a first post a doubt you'll get much help around here on this
Wow .... That a rather big assumption!

Old 06-05-2014, 05:33 PM
TpaGreenHornet
Tourer
Received 192 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by pyroboy
Not like that at all. I was in a serious accident a number of years ago with the 81 shovel. I was having a friend rebuild the bike for me. He had sent the frame out to be straightened and painted, but in the interim he passed away (cancer). No one knows where he sent the frame, including me obviously. So I have all my original parts except the frame.
I just saw a frame for 1976 FXE advertised for sale and just wondered if this would work for me.
Thanks for the response.
You'd be amazed at what some people try to use forums for. Sorry about your friend. Hope it all works out for you and you get back in the wind.

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
Wow .... That a rather big assumption!
It is.

Old 06-05-2014, 06:58 PM
FilthyLucre
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Yes all the 81 parts will fit the 76 FXE. Hopefully you have the title for the 76 because that it what it will be.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:33 PM
sixty7flh
Cruiser

just curious, how long ago was it sent for a frame repair? I did that to my old one years ago, but now cannot seem to get any such frame work. They actually want to total my bike as we speak, and I really do not think there is much at all wrong with it. The cross bar where the front engine guards is mildly bent from laying her down.....

Old 06-06-2014, 09:11 AM
AlCherry
Road Warrior
Received 89 Likes on 50 Posts

Not many shops are tooled to straighten frames. It's easier to total them. There are a few indy's that have the jigs to do the deed. There is one in Port Arthur, TX that does it.

Old 06-06-2014, 09:14 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,779 Likes on 18,557 Posts

Originally Posted by AlCherry
Not many shops are tooled to straighten frames. It's easier to total them. There are a few indy's that have the jigs to do the deed. There is one in Port Arthur, TX that does it.
"There is one in Port Arthur, TX that does it" ... and they do a great job too ... We had one done and they did a great job! Bought a "crash job" and found many parts at the old Detroit Swap Meet ( at the State Fair Grounds ) ... She's still going strong too.

Old 06-06-2014, 09:39 PM
LilRosie
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

This probably doesn't apply to a shovelhead frame, but a little fyi about restoring a newer frame.

Several yrs ago a friend was in an accident on his 1996 HD (don't remember the model), the bike frame was bent. He talked to the HD dealer about rebuilding his bike and getting a new frame. He was told that the company (HD) would build him a new frame and stamp his old numbers on the new frame. The dealer would cut the neck w/ the numbers off his old frame send it to HD, they would make a new frame for his 1996 HD. Then HD would destroy the old neck.

He said for this to happen, all parties involved would have to agree. These parties would be, him the owner, insurance company, HD dealer, and the HD company. All parties agreed, he got a new frame and his bike put back together as it was originally.

Quick Reply: Lost frame