Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

1982 Lowrider FXS Build

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 11:02 AM
Justindee88
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1982 Lowrider FXS Build

Well, where do I begin? I've been lurking on this site for a while and have finally decided to share some of my build with y'all! I'm 25 and this is my first Harley build. I've had time tampering in the automotive/paint and body industry growing up and have been on 2 wheels for as long as I can remember. This isn't my first Harley but definitely my first "antique". Sooooooo here it goes.....

This gem started off as a "bar hopper" that I have been wanting to get for a while. After a lot of searching and even more let downs on craigslist specials I ran across a 1982 FXS that appeared to be in decent order. After a quick test drive around the block I couldn't fork over the cash fast enough!

I got her home and had her apart the next day. Decided to take the tins off and put them in matching black primer, sand and scuff the old paint on the frame and paint it with some gloss black rattle can paint. After getting the tanks and fender off, I discovered a horrible mess the previous owner called wiring. There wasn't much hope for this harness so I patched up what I could to have working lights and directionals. Also changed the oil, made minor adjustments to the carb. cleaned up the engine and primary cover and repainted them as well. Replaced the battery and I was ready to go.

http://rs1326.pbsrc.com/albums/u652/...a.jpeg~320x480

Attached Thumbnails 1982 Lowrider FXS Build-shovel5.jpg  
Old 06-24-2014, 11:08 AM
Justindee88
Novice

I drove the ole' girl the first weekend and lets just say, she wasn't as ready as I was. Very minor issues but issues nonetheless. Fork seals blowing oil everywhere, trailing arm bushings shot, rubber bushings with risers and ape hangers , plenty of engine oil leaks, broken throttle cable and to top it all of my new interstate battery ended up on the new heat wrapped exhaust. The battery issue was the last straw and made me decide this bike needed some serious help. That following Monday I had her stripped down to the frame and ready for the powder coaters.

Contd....

Old 06-24-2014, 11:29 AM
Jimmyacorn1
Intermediate

Looks damn nice. I went to your link but it said to install some update media player in order to get to see all your pics. I didn't that but it'd be nice if you could add a few here.

Old 06-24-2014, 11:59 AM
Justindee88
Novice

I'm getting some photos together now. I'll have some uploaded soon. Thanks for the compliment!

Old 06-24-2014, 01:44 PM
Justindee88
Novice

I received the parts from the powder coater and everything turned out amazing! If anyone is ever looking for a professional, reasonable, and knowledgeable powder coater in the Tampa Bay area I HIGHLY recommend http://www.propowdercoat.com/. These guys did some awesome work, in a timely matter and knew what they were doing. They plugged all the bolt holes and studs so I wasn't tapping everything for assembly!

Old 06-24-2014, 01:54 PM
Justindee88
Novice

It was time to start ordering parts. I decided if i'm going to do this, then i'm doing it right. Ordered the new Handlebar Solid Mounts, Swingarm Pivot Rebuild Kit, Neck Bearings and Seals, Fork Master Rebuild Kit, Progressive Lowering Spring Kit, New Wiring Harness, Lowbrow Customs Fork Shrouds, Old-Stf Brass Oil Lines, Old-Stf Brass "Kick" Start Pedal, Brass Rocker Box Acorn Nuts, Brass Rocker Plugs, Brass Stater Cover, New Forward Controls and last but not least my 21x2.15 Fat Spoke Wheel with a matching rear 16".

Last edited by Justindee88; 06-24-2014 at 01:59 PM.
Old 06-24-2014, 02:06 PM
Justindee88
Novice

The fun begins, parts started to come in and now it's time for assembly. Everything was going smooth until the front wheel from, Jireh Cycles came in. I personally called to see if they had a front wheel compatible for my bike and of course they said, yes. Well, the wheel they sent me for my narrow-glide was for a wide glide front end.

I call to see if they have the correct wheel and of course they don't. To top it off, their customer service was absolutely TERRIBLE! I strongly advise NOT using them!!! Now that that's out of the way and i've spent around $500 on parts for the narrow-glide, I ordered a new black springer front end to accommodate the wider front wheel.

Old 06-24-2014, 02:35 PM
Justindee88
Novice

Now i'm at a stand still until the front end gets here. To give you and idea of what i'm doing i'll give you a run down. I wanted to go with an old school look and a bit of new school taste. Something that reflects my personality, in your face but classy at the same time. All brand new seals and bearings on the chassis, absolutely no chrome, low and loud. I've never been a fan of chrome so I decided to dress her up in brass and black. Fat spoke wheels front and rear (spokes will be coated gold), brass engine components, coated gold fork springs for the springer, an ostrich covered la para bare bones seat and some Roland Sands Design brass foot pegs, grips and hand controls. To tie it all together The new wrap around front fender and the rest of the sheet metal will be finished off with a House Of Kolor 3 stage Kandy Root Beer and sealing it off with a House Of Kolor Gold Mini Flake

and for color reference...

I'm sure i've missed a ton of things but for now this is my stopping point until more parts arrive. Im expecting to see the new springer front plus all the Roland Sands goodies within the next two weeks. Thanks in advance for your interest and feel free to comment and ask questions! Stay tuned

Old 06-24-2014, 04:06 PM
Jimmyacorn1
Intermediate

Nice. I'd like to keep falling you on this build. Hope you keep it up and keep posting.

Old 06-25-2014, 07:19 AM
Justindee88
Novice

Thank you. Will post updates whenever enough cool stuff happens to talk about haha

Quick Reply: 1982 Lowrider FXS Build