Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

82 fxr breather issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 08:09 PM
BiGGGJ82
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 82 fxr breather issue

A quick run down of the bike before i get to the problem. Its an 82 fxr that i bought last year and just recently did the top end on. 80"(1340) stock bottom end, stock bore. It was just honed during the rebuild. Heads got a valve job and a good cleaning. Ok here goes problems....

When i started taking everything apart i realized that the guy who had the bike before me had the case breather blocked off along with the primary oiling system. I got everything put back together. I unblocked the breather and kept the primary oiler blocked off. The bike starts right up and runs like new. But....after a few test rides, i figured out that the oil that was leaking and soaking my tire was coming from the breather and when i shut the bike off, quite a bit of oil pukes out of the breather. So i then took the cam cover off and nothiced the breather gear was off timing by 2 degrees. I got it back in timing and now it leaks even worse from the breather. I dont know what else to try!!!

**i also put a new oil pump check ball in and a new spring and that didnt help either**

any and all suggestions that could help me get this figured out would be greatly appeciated! Thank you

Old 06-26-2014, 09:07 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,567 Likes on 2,891 Posts

most times the excess oil in the breather system is the breather valve is very loose in the bore - now the correct way is to mike the valve and transfer it to a bore gage and see exactly what it has -

having said that - your rings have not seated yet and the barrels being this old and still being STD lends its self to the wall finish is polished so smooth, you may never get it to seat up correctly , as all the heat cycles and piston ring travel has and will be making it have excessive blow by -

they make a roughness gage to determin the bore finish but if it were me i would put .010 piston and ring set in it - try and get 1/16 - 1/16 - 3 /16 ring and piston set and the rings you want moly top ring cast iron second and chrome oil control --- NOT all cast iron rings or the 5/32 5/32 - 3 /16 that is the original old ring package that does not last like the other set