Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Oil mist

Old 06-30-2014, 04:39 PM
Jimmyacorn1
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil mist

While the work on my '78 as progressed and ready to go, there's an oil "mist" that I can't locate. The oil system is stock btw. I've tightened as many connections and checked as many hoses as there is on the bike. There's not just one spot that leaks. I could find that if there were. It's a fine rain-like "mist" barely visible. It soaks the underside and then the damn oil drips from everywhere. Any ideas on where the "mist" may be coming from. I'm thinking maybe a seal into the primary or something.

Old 06-30-2014, 09:03 PM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,407 Likes on 878 Posts

You'll have to clean it up real good and then check it after a short ride... Too many possibilities...

Old 06-30-2014, 11:54 PM
FilthyLucre
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Where is your breather hose routed? Is it still to the carb or has it been re-routed to the rear chain? The breather will put out some oil. On the older models they ran the rear chain oiler into the breather also.

Old 07-01-2014, 11:27 AM
Jimmyacorn1
Intermediate

I've re-routed the puke tube (breather line) but I left it long and out of the way completely. I've cleaned the underside, wiped it all down, put a rag on the breather tube, and then started the bike. Again, there is NO definitive leak. It's a "mist" of oil so I can't see where it is coming from. I didn't want to permanently attach the breather tube until I find out where the mist is coming from. I'm thinking it may be where the oil is moving into the primary but I don't know. I'm going to have to disconnect everything I suppose. So what's new, eh? LOL

Old 07-01-2014, 06:48 PM
FilthyLucre
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

The oil does mist in the primary but the gaskets, seals etc should keep it in. Check the vent hose on the back of the primary. It runs to a T then to the oil tank. Check the oil deflector on the starter housing, it may have been bent and not sealing. Check the seal and rubber boot on the solenoid. There should be a seal on the back of the bearing for the main shaft in the inner primary. There is a large O-ring around the alternator housing.
In short there are many ways for a primary to weep.

Old 07-01-2014, 07:16 PM
Jimmyacorn1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by FilthyLucre
The oil does mist in the primary but the gaskets, seals etc should keep it in. Check the vent hose on the back of the primary. It runs to a T then to the oil tank. Check the oil deflector on the starter housing, it may have been bent and not sealing. Check the seal and rubber boot on the solenoid. There should be a seal on the back of the bearing for the main shaft in the inner primary. There is a large O-ring around the alternator housing.
In short there are many ways for a primary to weep.
Thanks. Best informative reply I've received. I'll get right on it.

Peace

Old 07-08-2014, 06:20 PM
Jimmyacorn1
Intermediate

Fixed