Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

76 FX Superglide

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 07:23 PM
specialidiot
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 76 FX Superglide

Hey folks,

I'm going to look at a 1976 FX Superglide. Seller says it has between 55k and 70k (speedo was changed, old one says 55k, current one says 70k), and was updated to electric start. He also says the top end was recently done but does not have receipts. The pictures indicate it is in pretty decent shape.

What kind of things should I be looking for when I go see it?

Also.... any guidelines on what I should be offering on it?

Old 07-06-2014, 09:20 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,483 Posts

First things first...does he have title? Does the numbers on the frame agree with the vin on the motor?

Speedo...one says 55K, the other 70K. Assuming the first was the original, is the second one a used one? If not 125K is a lot of miles.

Recent top end but no receipts....ummmm okay then, who did the top end. You need to go find the wrench that did it so you can speak with hbim directly about what exactly was done. I have an issue with bikes that have no receipts but yet the owner "claims" this of that was down, or "claims" that he has always serviced the bike at regular intervals.

Things to look for, ease of starting. Check the heads. Are they cold or has he started it and ran it because he knows its a bitch for some reason (he can't figure out) when its cold.

Oil leaks. Get under and look for leaks around inner primary around mainshaft. Could be as simple as the seal, or as problematic as worn mains haft and spacer.

Oil leaks. Top of heads down to cylinder base gaskets.

Has it been converted to no lead valves? Still running points or converted to electronic iggy?

Got any decent pics you can post? pretty decent shape can mean a lot of things to a lot of people.

Old 07-06-2014, 09:32 AM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,493 Likes on 1,073 Posts

I had a '76 FXE....It was a good bike for what it was.
Assume that the bike will need fairly constant attention, because they needed fairly constant attention, even when they were new.

Some stuff will have substantial wear on it because it's an old bike.
Those motors usually need a top end about every 10,000 or so, so it probably did have one recently.
I used to do the top end myself every year and if the owner does his own work, he probably won't have much in the way of receipts to show you.

If it don't smoke and it don't dump a whole lot of oil and the price is right...Buy it.

Make sure the numbers on the left engine case and the right side of the steering head match with each other and with the title.
Sometimes on an old bike the numbers won't match on the engine case and frame, but if it's legit the new engine number will be on the title.

Old 07-06-2014, 09:32 AM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,493 Likes on 1,073 Posts

Double post....

Old 07-07-2014, 10:09 AM
Jimmyacorn1
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't give more than 3 grand for the bike the way you describe it. How long has it been sitting? When was the last time it was run for any significant length of time? If you don't really want to work on this bike then don't get it because that's what you're going to be doing. As for 10K top end....shovels don't need a top end every 10k miles. 50-60K is more like it.