Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Paint codes for older bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 10:55 AM
Old School Dude
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat
Update to my original question, have since found a body shop, they have the technology now where they have a special camera (maybe not special)...but they take some pictures and upload it to some program that checks some databases and spits out some color combo to make the paint.

However, I'm thinking of doing a slightly darker blue...more to match my truck.
A guy literally JUST told me about that yesterday! Ha! Never knew that before either! They can even capture the "fade" in the formula supposedly... Fade = the sun fade of your old paint vs. new paint so the new will match the old... Personally, I've decided to just go it alone. I think I can match it close enough to my specs with store bought. I don't have a spray gun, nor do I know how to use one, so rattle can is all I know how to do. BUT, I am pretty good with one if I do say so myself! And as I understand it, the body shop will only give you the raw paint in a can... so... I'm out of luck with that, and don't much want to pay them to apply it...

Old 07-31-2015, 12:12 PM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 880 Posts

Originally Posted by Old School Dude
A guy literally JUST told me about that yesterday! Ha! Never knew that before either! They can even capture the "fade" in the formula supposedly... Fade = the sun fade of your old paint vs. new paint so the new will match the old... Personally, I've decided to just go it alone. I think I can match it close enough to my specs with store bought. I don't have a spray gun, nor do I know how to use one, so rattle can is all I know how to do. BUT, I am pretty good with one if I do say so myself! And as I understand it, the body shop will only give you the raw paint in a can... so... I'm out of luck with that, and don't much want to pay them to apply it...
A good automotive paint store can sell you mixed paint in aerosol cans...

Old 07-31-2015, 12:20 PM
Old School Dude
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe12RK
A good automotive paint store can sell you mixed paint in aerosol cans...
Oh really???? Thanks! Didn't know that either... Well, I'll check that out then! Just got my fender under primer last night, so now would be the time. Appreciate it!