Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Paint codes for older bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 01:12 PM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,105 Likes on 1,493 Posts
Default Paint codes for older bikes?

Every paint code chart I find online seems to be newer only bikes...like back to the 90's or farthest I've found goes to 86 I think.

I need to find what the name and/or code is for my '83...that blue color you see in the pic of my sig.

Going to have a body shop fix the dent in the front fender that the bike had when I bought it, plus the rear fender...new paint.

Old 07-18-2014, 08:24 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,524 Likes on 2,865 Posts

today in my shop we take a picture of the item to be painted and have the paint mixed - the sun and air changes it from what it was so its of no value to try and get the original unless it is being restored, and all of it painted an OEM color

Old 07-19-2014, 12:06 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,210 Likes on 1,480 Posts

Try this for a start...

http://hdpaint.tk

Old 07-29-2015, 05:13 AM
Old School Dude
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've read out here that "Dupli-Color BUN0100 Universal Gloss Black" is a pretty close match to HD Vivid Black, and costs about 6-7 bucks a can at any auto parts store... or online of course I haven't used it myself, yet, but just saying that there may be an automotive match for you? There's a lot of lists of colors out here on various threads with their codes.

Last edited by Old School Dude; 07-29-2015 at 05:17 AM.
Old 07-29-2015, 05:24 AM
Old School Dude
Intermediate

BTW - I noticed your rear exhaust curves into the cone at the bottom before it heads out. So, the FXRS shovel that I'm working on right now had the same pipes on it as yours. So... get this... that curve nearly cooked the oil lines! They are right there behind that lower curve! So, be sure to check that out and make sure you're not cooking your oil lines cause it will cause them to become brittle and crack open. I noticed it when I was changing the trans oil, and they were ready to blow any minute! I had to replace them all, and just did this last weekend. Super messy and crappy job... and there's really no way to route them much better due to the oil pumps location etc. Bought a set of stock pipes that do not have that curve in them but rather are far away from that area... so the original design is best because of that issue. Waiting for them to arrive.

Last edited by Old School Dude; 07-29-2015 at 05:27 AM.
Old 07-29-2015, 07:53 AM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,524 Likes on 2,865 Posts

Originally Posted by Old School Dude
BTW - I noticed your rear exhaust curves into the cone at the bottom before it heads out. So, the FXRS shovel that I'm working on right now had the same pipes on it as yours. So... get this... that curve nearly cooked the oil lines! They are right there behind that lower curve! So, be sure to check that out and make sure you're not cooking your oil lines cause it will cause them to become brittle and crack open. I noticed it when I was changing the trans oil, and they were ready to blow any minute! I had to replace them all, and just did this last weekend. Super messy and crappy job... and there's really no way to route them much better due to the oil pumps location etc. Bought a set of stock pipes that do not have that curve in them but rather are far away from that area... so the original design is best because of that issue. Waiting for them to arrive.
back when pipes only a few choices were available, and they were very close to the rubber hoses we would add metal pipes between and around the exhaust area - it helps

but that was the days when we had a box of rigid frame oil lines take offs ( buying chrome ones ) as they had the round bends we needed to do that - wish i had that original line box back today

Old 07-31-2015, 09:35 AM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Old School Dude
BTW - I noticed your rear exhaust curves into the cone at the bottom before it heads out. So, the FXRS shovel that I'm working on right now had the same pipes on it as yours. So... get this... that curve nearly cooked the oil lines! They are right there behind that lower curve! So, be sure to check that out and make sure you're not cooking your oil lines cause it will cause them to become brittle and crack open. .
Yah...noticed that when I got her...new oil lines comin' from the pump, but yeah keeping my eye on 'em.
Thanks for mentioning though.

Even more....front pipe...rear brake lines 'n solenoid. Even cooks the rubber boot right down. Whenever I manage to dig up some better forward controls...can't wait to move the rear brake solenoid away from there.

Can't ditch them pipes though, old Paughco's...love the sound like no other!

Old 07-31-2015, 10:10 AM
Old School Dude
Intermediate

Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat
Yah...noticed that when I got her...new oil lines comin' from the pump, but yeah keeping my eye on 'em.
Thanks for mentioning though.

Even more....front pipe...rear brake lines 'n solenoid. Even cooks the rubber boot right down. Whenever I manage to dig up some better forward controls...can't wait to move the rear brake solenoid away from there.

Can't ditch them pipes though, old Paughco's...love the sound like no other!
Right on... I hear you! I got the same pipes and LOVED their sound, but I care more about my oil delivery than the pipes, so off they go I actually picked up an old circa 70's set without the bend on the bay, so I'm thinkin' they're going to sound ok Anyway, swell bike you got there! I'm a sucker for shovels and love em when their on the road!

Last edited by Old School Dude; 07-31-2015 at 10:12 AM.
Old 07-31-2015, 10:17 AM
screamn_eagle
Outstanding HDF Member

most good paint shops will be able to color match from the existing paint. as I saw on an earlier post the original factory color I am sure has faded a bit and would not match if they found the exact mix. you are much better off asking them to just photomatch the existing paint hues...it will look perfect. they have a machine, I forget what its called but it uses a special light that will break down the pigments and create a 100% perfect match for the paint that is on the bike...

don't quote me on the process, I am not sure how the thing really works, I have just seen the results and know that it does work. I by no means am a professional paint and body man

Last edited by screamn_eagle; 07-31-2015 at 10:18 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 07-31-2015, 10:45 AM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member

Update to my original question, have since found a body shop, they have the technology now where they have a special camera (maybe not special)...but they take some pictures and upload it to some program that checks some databases and spits out some color combo to make the paint.

However, I'm thinking of doing a slightly darker blue...more to match my truck.

Quick Reply: Paint codes for older bikes?