Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

82+ front master rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 04:51 PM
i Confederate i
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 82+ front master rebuild

Hey guys been a while since I posted up here. Hope everyone is doing alright.

I'm in the middle of trying to rebuild the front master on my 75 shovel. I swapped the whole M/C to an '82 master a while ago to change to dual calipers. 3/4" diameter master. Never tackled this one before and I have a few problems. First off, I ruined the new seal trying to seat it via the c-clamp method, new parts on order. Anyone have a trick to this?

Second, I had a friend help me remove the old seal. I told him to try to catch all of the parts while I yanked the seal. I pointed the seal towards the table to avoid any injuries, and just had him cup his hands over the area the parts should've popped out... He ran like a little girl. So I'm missing some old parts, not an issue except I don't know exactly what came out. The old piston went flying, so I hope the new one is a match. Also the rebuild kit came with a rubber cap type seal that I have no idea what its used for. I've never seen one like it. It looks like a little rubber cup with no holes it in. My only guess is that it is supposed to cap off the opening for the brake like to avoid garbage getting in.

Thanks. I know I turned this into a cluster f*ck.

Last edited by i Confederate i; 08-18-2014 at 04:52 PM. Reason: add info