Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Pics

Old 08-30-2014, 11:23 AM
biginchhustler
Road Master
Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Pics

OK,OK I know-- this is shovelheads -- seems theres more builders on a shovel site than any place else - 1984 evo fxrs -- custom home made pipes -- 9:5:1 cr ported heads - .40 squish - no base gasket -- leinweber E5S cam -- super e -

Old 08-30-2014, 11:25 AM
biginchhustler
Road Master

take a close look-- I made the mid brake set up to fit a 5 speed tranny -- notice the clam shell clamp set up to hole the pipes - this eliminates the use of ugly brackets

Old 08-30-2014, 11:27 AM
biginchhustler
Road Master

and yes it has a BDL belt drive -- 22 tranny and 46 rear -- custom made primary - shifter and foot peg set up --

Old 08-30-2014, 11:44 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,166 Likes on 5,391 Posts

Originally Posted by biginchhustler
no base gasket

OK I give....why?

Old 08-30-2014, 12:00 PM
biginchhustler
Road Master
Old 08-31-2014, 01:28 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,166 Likes on 5,391 Posts

You can do the same thing by milling the cylinder deck...those leak bad enough with quality gaskets...can only imagine what they will with some sealer only...kinda thinking that is a race only mod...is that what you are doing with it?

Old 09-02-2014, 09:17 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,524 Likes on 2,865 Posts

be carefull with that sort of an idea - i have seen this before and when all said and done it really was not faster and the pistons were Rubbing you know that term and you know what it means

the piston flop over at TDC will cause the the piston when it rocks < depends on piston to wall clearances how much - it will actually hit the top of the shelf - race motors do not size up like a street engine does so the growth is less and sometimes you can get away with that idea

>045 is the min for a street engine dont go any more

you can use a cometic .010 base gasket and a .030 head gasket if the deck is not plus then sometimes you can squeeze a .045 out of the mix

Old 09-03-2014, 08:21 AM
biginchhustler
Road Master

done this b4 used 3 bond on shovels also - the quench on this one is .040 - I never have had the piston hit the head - and yes this makes a huge difference when done correctly - in combination with other stuff -- I have head and base gaskets in different thicknesses - this was just a final assembly and it was used to get the .040 -- I use a small piece of tubing and recess the drain hole in the block and insert the tube in the cylinder - the tube is the thickness of like curtin rod super thin - when the 3 bond is put on and the cylinder set in place the tube keeps the 3 bond from fouling the oil return - never had one leak - I use 3 bond or Honda bond to seal the case 1/2's --

been riding the bike for over a week now -- no issues - bike is really,really strong -- the foaming oil calmed down as soon as the oil reached operating temp -- I laughed at the suggestion I had water in the oil -- lol

next oil change will be the synth oil I brake the engine in with dino oil --

did have 1 issue the PO had a solenoid problem -- I installed a new one and a new relay -- pop the compression releases and lift the choke - and it fires right up - loud,loud E5S leinweber great cam --

Old 09-03-2014, 06:50 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,524 Likes on 2,865 Posts

done this b4 used 3 bond on shovels also - the quench on this one is .040 - I never have had the piston hit the head - and yes this makes a huge difference when done correctly - in combination with other stuff -- I have head and base gaskets in different thicknesses - this was just a final assembly and it was used to get the .040 -- I use a small piece of tubing and recess the drain hole in the block and insert the tube in the cylinder - the tube is the thickness of like curtin rod super thin - when the 3 bond is put on and the cylinder set in place the tube keeps the 3 bond from fouling the oil return - never had one leak - I use 3 bond or Honda bond to seal the case 1/2's --

been riding the bike for over a week now -- no issues - bike is really,really strong -- the foaming oil calmed down as soon as the oil reached operating temp -- I laughed at the suggestion I had water in the oil -- lol

next oil change will be the synth oil I brake the engine in with dino oil --

did have 1 issue the PO had a solenoid problem -- I installed a new one and a new relay -- pop the compression releases and lift the choke - and it fires right up - loud,loud E5S leinweber great cam --
.544 lift both 275 at .053 - ground on a 112 < drag cam numbers 112 - i like more lift but i do like the duration and the LSA

Old 09-04-2014, 06:22 AM
biginchhustler
Road Master

leinweber uses .020 to measure duration so @ .53 is only 242 not 274

-- http://www.leinewebercams.com/EVOCatalog05052010.pdf -- its a bottom end mid range power cam -

I run 22 tranny and 46 rear and it pulls like a freight train..

like some who use those Ridiculous pipes either to short or to large add that to a long front pipe and a super short rear pipe but hey it looks coooool

I make my own 2 into 1 inside the cone is another cone that gives it the needed back pressure ..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pics