Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Push rods for solids

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 02:49 PM
GordFXE80
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Push rods for solids

Running solids on my and I noticed my front pushrod had a little too much thread on the rod adjuster for my liking and tends not to spin perfectly true when your turning it around to adjust it. I has S&S heads and the problem is that the existing length overall, without the adjuster on it, from top of ball to end of nut measures 9&7/16 and a kit offered to me for the solid setup only measures 9 & 1/4 for the front longer exhaust..are S&S heads different or what could the problem be...inserts are the same as in the kit offered...It's a stroker but stock cylinders.??? Any Ideas

Old 09-09-2014, 06:37 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

if you dident put the motor together than you dont know if someone ground the seats too much and or ground the rockerarms, or even ground the valve tip or all three have been done, all of this will extend the length of the pushrods adjuster more than a 1/4 of an inch in some cases -

having said that the front exhaust is the longest of the bunch even stock the adjuster extends more than the others

Old 09-09-2014, 08:54 PM
GordFXE80
Intermediate

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
if you dident put the motor together than you dont know if someone ground the seats too much and or ground the rockerarms, or even ground the valve tip or all three have been done, all of this will extend the length of the pushrods adjuster more than a 1/4 of an inch in some cases -

having said that the front exhaust is the longest of the bunch even stock the adjuster extends more than the others
don't Think the heads have been off since 2003 when they we put on new by all the bills and paper work that has given to me on work done but still doesn't explain why or where they found a 9/& 7/16th rod instead of the 9&1/4...runs like a charm but was just worried about that much thread sticking out and if it would be weaker or not because it isn't exactly true when you spin it setting up your lifters. Was going to order a colony full kit but cant seem to get an answer on how long there main front long exhaust rod is.

Old 09-10-2014, 07:42 AM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

we have a box of a couple hundred pushrods i wil look in the shovel pan bags and see if i have a take out that was not unadjusted for a thread length comparison

Old 09-10-2014, 10:31 AM
GordFXE80
Intermediate

we have a box of a couple hundred pushrods i wil look in the shovel pan bags and see if i have a take out that was not unadjusted for a thread length comparison
Thank you, been a little bit frustrating trying to figure this one out and where to locate the proper kit.

That's my front exhaust which is 9&7/16ths, without the adjuster on it, it's from the top of the ball to the bottom of the nut

Old 09-10-2014, 06:00 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

i did not give any thought to the measurments you gave as too pushrod length, i have been doing this a while and that front exhaust in the picture if thats the one you are talking about it is actually short compaired to what i have seen

Old 09-10-2014, 09:32 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,917 Likes on 17,474 Posts

Some of those solid kits had one pushrod that was longer than the other 3 just for the front exhaust , did you check that before assembly ? And the ones that didn't had more than enough thread to cover the extra length needed to get them adjusted.

Old 09-11-2014, 11:32 AM
GordFXE80
Intermediate

there all in there right holes and that is the longest one and all show about the same amount of thread when adjusted.

Old 09-11-2014, 11:41 AM
GordFXE80
Intermediate

i did not give any thought to the measurments you gave as too pushrod length, i have been doing this a while and that front exhaust in the picture if thats the one you are talking about it is actually short compaired to what i have seen
short rod or short amount of threads showing?

Old 09-11-2014, 03:36 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by GordFXE80
short rod or short amount of threads showing?
if it came into the shop and we did a service to include a valve adjustment i dont see any thing that stands out - the exposed thread is to my eyes /// looks normal

Quick Reply: Push rods for solids