Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

CV carb conversion - How to?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 02:27 AM
bagged92sdime
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CV carb conversion - How to?

Hey, so I've found a little here and there about doing a CV carb swap on shovelheads and lots of people saying that they like them better than the S&S Super-E.

Currently, I am having issues with my S&S that are driving me nuts and I have a CV sitting in storage off of a 97 Heritage Soft tail.

I know that I will need an adapter to mount the CV to the manifold. Already found one and found a nice air cleaner (backing plate and filter included) specifically for this swap.

Here are my questions though:
-Will the carb off of the 97 work fine?
-Do I need a mount for the backing plate for the new carb like what the S&S has (going to the rocker box)?
-Will the carb adapter work on a S&S manifold?
-I have an aftermarket twist throttle set up. Am I correct in believing it is already set up for dual throttle cables (Pics below)?
-Does anything need to be done with the choke for CV?
-Anything else I should know?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Here is my throttle-

Appears to have a spot for a second throttle cable. Am I right?

Old 09-13-2014, 02:37 AM
bagged92sdime
Intermediate

Also, I just measured my current throttle cable and it is approximately 42". Going to a CV, would this cable work?

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/520-708

Old 09-13-2014, 09:54 AM
V_twins
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I did the a couple of months ago
Make sure the Cv is a 40 and not a 44... I think the 44 is too big for a stock shovelhead
Manifold: if the 2 holes that mount the manifold to the S&S carb are the same distance as OEM it should be fine... but I am not expert here
Your controls should be OK for dual cables
Cable lenght depend on your handlebars
I build 2 brackets that go from the backing plate to the front and rear rocker boxes (where the ham can brackets go) and one bracket from the backing plate to the bolt between the cylinders. The front bracket broke and I welded it stronger. It's fine now.
For the adapter you have 2 options.... the rubber one and the aluminum machined one. The rubber one may deteriorate in time, the aluminum one needs to be pressed in with a little JB weld in it so it won't come apart.
I run the chocke cable between the cylinders to the motor mount on the left side of the bike.

Old 09-13-2014, 12:47 PM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,054 Likes on 1,510 Posts

You will need to get a Manifold...the Bore on the S&S is larger, and it uses 3/8 bolts to mount...The CV probably used 5/16 mounting hardware.
The Throttle cable should be fine.
The Carb...especially with the adapter [I won't use a Rubber one] will need to be supported at the air cleaner somehow...If going on a Rubber Mount bike...That last is Mandatory due to the rubbermount Gyrations trying to shake the Carb Off!!!
Make sure you use the correct jetting, and needle too....

Old 09-13-2014, 01:29 PM
bagged92sdime
Intermediate

Awesome. Thanks. Going to storage here in a few and going to look for the CV carb. If I can find it, I think I will go ahead and do this conversion. I will make sure that it is a 40mm and not a 44mm. Is there any kind of marking I should look for to identify it being one or the other or am I just going to have to measure the outside of the mounting flange on the carb? For now, I think I'll run a rubber mount, but down the line I'll get the aluminum flange so I have it if/when the boot cracks.

Old 09-13-2014, 01:42 PM
bagged92sdime
Intermediate

Also, where would I run the vacuum line from the carb to?

Old 09-13-2014, 02:46 PM
extech
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The adapter you'll need is sold through any Drag Specialties dealer, part number DS-289219, it should bolt right up to your S&S manifold. The other thing you'll need is some kind of support bracket to hold the carb into the manifold spigot, Drag also has them available.
You can use a single cable on the CV carb since they do have a return spring on the throttle shaft.

Old 09-13-2014, 03:49 PM
bagged92sdime
Intermediate

Originally Posted by extech
The adapter you'll need is sold through any Drag Specialties dealer, part number DS-289219, it should bolt right up to your S&S manifold. The other thing you'll need is some kind of support bracket to hold the carb into the manifold spigot, Drag also has them available.
You can use a single cable on the CV carb since they do have a return spring on the throttle shaft.
Thanks. As far as throttle cable thats nice to know since the guide I read said you could run one cable, but it wasn't a very safe option, so it would be best to run a 2 cable set up. So maybe I'd be able to use my existing cable?

Old 09-13-2014, 03:51 PM
bagged92sdime
Intermediate

Oh, I forgot to add that I went to my storage unit and found the carb...Looks to be in good shape too! Pulled the bowl off of it and the large jet sticking down said 165, the small jet down in a passage way said 45.

Old 09-13-2014, 09:20 PM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,054 Likes on 1,510 Posts

Probably set-up perfectly for an EVO...I'm running a 190 Main and a 50 intermediate...with a N65 needle.
I certainly would not Fool with a Rubber flange for any reason...We quit doing that back in the Round-slide Mikuni, /Lake Injector/Lectron , Days. Crap!

Quick Reply: CV carb conversion - How to?