98 evo ticking

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 01:06 AM
mountain rider
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Yankee Dog
Glad you have it worked out...

Every spring when I am out for my first few rides I hear the ticking and wonder...then I recall the previous spring and convince myself "it's normal". It seems the windscreen bounces any of those noises right back at you, but it is just the way the engine sounds. I like the term mentioned earlier "pissed off sewing machine".

I guess that better than my daughter's Honda, it just sounds like a normal sewing machine!

Did you say your block is cracked at the oil pressure sending unit? If so, that sux, not sure if there is an easy fix for that one...YD
Ya, i think that that one is one i will hafta live with. at least it doesn't leak... yet

Old 05-30-2015, 08:49 AM
farmersemail
Advanced
Default 99 evo

my bike just started making loud ticking in the top end. i have adj push rods when i put ad27 cam in at 15000 i now have 38000. do i need to adj the push rods? going to check tapit screen now. its funny it happened all in one ride sounded great in the morning ride. ride home got loud.

Old 05-30-2015, 11:57 AM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by farmersemail
my bike just started making loud ticking in the top end. i have adj push rods when i put ad27 cam in at 15000 i now have 38000. do i need to adj the push rods? going to check tapit screen now. its funny it happened all in one ride sounded great in the morning ride. ride home got loud.
Did it get loud when you started it up after it sat or while you were riding?

Old 05-31-2015, 01:36 PM
farmersemail
Advanced

Originally Posted by Harleycruiser
Did it get loud when you started it up after it sat or while you were riding?
It got loud after about 50 mile ride it was normal when start up. I ride 133 miles round trip to work and back. Run from 3000 foot to 7000 foot in elevation

Old 05-31-2015, 06:38 PM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,743 Likes on 928 Posts

While I don't have adjustable pushrods, I have read on here more than a few times that they can back off on adjustment, so it's worth a look. Hate to have something bad happen when a simple check or readjustment is all that was needed. Lets hope it is something simple. YD

Old 05-31-2015, 08:09 PM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Yankee Dog
While I don't have adjustable pushrods, I have read on here more than a few times that they can back off on adjustment, so it's worth a look. Hate to have something bad happen when a simple check or readjustment is all that was needed. Lets hope it is something simple. YD
When they come loose they come loose and the valve stops opening and you are along side of the road.
Originally Posted by farmersemail
It got loud after about 50 mile ride it was normal when start up. I ride 133 miles round trip to work and back. Run from 3000 foot to 7000 foot in elevation
Valve tick is a pain to diagnose, my guess would be crud in a lifter blocking the oil hole keeping it from pumping up.
I would get a stethoscope and try to find out which one. Pull down the tube and see if there is any free play while off lobe.

Old 06-03-2015, 09:39 AM
farmersemail
Advanced

Originally Posted by Harleycruiser
When they come loose they come loose and the valve stops opening and you are along side of the road.

Valve tick is a pain to diagnose, my guess would be crud in a lifter blocking the oil hole keeping it from pumping up.
I would get a stethoscope and try to find out which one. Pull down the tube and see if there is any free play while off lobe.
Thanks I just ordered one today going to park the bike tell I get it