Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what amp do u have ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 08:57 PM
hdultra2010
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what amp do u have ?

so lately I am trying to upgrade my speakers and get new amp. the fact I was reading I find only few that will fit in fairing....the same for the speakers they are 2 ohm which put me in 3 choices , the polk mm651 , infinity 62.11i and the JBL p622. I never had any of the laters, but used to have polk 6X9 and they sound great.
I am in really strict budget since I did make a lot of buying this last few months just to get her where I feel it is good.
I end up buying the jbl speakers already 2 pair for $150. 75 W. couldn't afford the others ughh , they are in their way here (excited lol).
now I couldn't make my mind about the amp. especially I don't want to lose the FM radio. I know that class D amp aren't good for that matter. the AB gets hot a lot . then the tight space on fairing .
I saw this http://www.crutchfield.com/p_020XC14...c1410&skipvs=T .
it is small enough to fit but the D class worried me about the Fm.

does anyone of u try it before? if so how they sound ? did u lose the fm channels?

what others choices of amp that can fit in fairing? and how u like them ? any pics installed would be great . thanks

PS : I am only putting 4 speakers , fairing and the trunk.

Old 05-28-2015, 09:08 PM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

I put that amp in a friends bike with 4 JBL GTO's and it sounds pretty damn good. Those speakers are very clear but not much low end. At 2ohm you get some decent power from that amp. He didn't lose any FM reception....but that's hit or miss. Perhaps the power draw on the amp is not sufficient to impact FM reception. The only issue we had was using hi level inputs the amp was going into protect mode. Adding a hi to low RCA converter fixed it.

Having said all that. If FM wasn't an issue for the price you can get a more powerful amp. Also check eBay for better prices on the clarion.

Old 05-28-2015, 09:30 PM
hdultra2010
Cruiser

Originally Posted by haze324
I put that amp in a friends bike with 4 JBL GTO's and it sounds pretty damn good. Those speakers are very clear but not much low end. At 2ohm you get some decent power from that amp. He didn't lose any FM reception....but that's hit or miss. Perhaps the power draw on the amp is not sufficient to impact FM reception. The only issue we had was using hi level inputs the amp was going into protect mode. Adding a hi to low RCA converter fixed it.

Having said all that. If FM wasn't an issue for the price you can get a more powerful amp. Also check eBay for better prices on the clarion.

thanks for the reply, it looks like it is a good amp, don't have any adjustment or anything just plug and play. it has 25 amp fuse which put it in right rms as they claim.
I hear a lot of FM channel as I used to have a class d before and lost few channel on older bike...
I am still thinking about others that I can put under the trunk since I have quick disconnect with more room for amp underneath it. most of marines amp are D class on cheap side lol.

still looking around online on ebay and amazon , getting crasy about size and the class and the wattage too ....

Old 05-28-2015, 10:15 PM
macride
Cruiser

Cerwin vega b4 2kappa 62.11i being moved to lowers from fairing after one of the polks had a bad day. Now waiting on the brown truck with new bt 6.5's to put in fairing. As to fm. Never had much good reception when using a few brands of in fairing antennas so made a bracket and mounted an hd stubby out back and now have several stations clear. Btw the cv amp rocks. And fits in fairing. Snug but it works sitting atop the hu.

Old 05-29-2015, 07:03 PM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts

Many people, myself included, loved the Polk MM651's. Problem is the speakers kept failing. The stalk that supports the tweeter is glued in and the glue fails allowing the stalk to lean, then the woofer contacts the stalk, then they start buzzing. After the third set I switched to the Kappas and like them.

Old 05-30-2015, 01:08 AM
ridedaddy
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

My uncle uses that same amp and it seems to be a decent little unit. He did loose most of his fm with it though. My advice to you would be stay away from the mm651s, they won't last. 6 days or 6 months your guess is as good as mine but they will fail. Kappas seem to be doing a good job for people, including my uncle. Also the Biketronics bt71s economy line speaker sells for $150 I believe, with a different amp it could be a great choice. Biketronics will offer you a forum discount and a lifetime warranty!!

Last edited by ridedaddy; 05-30-2015 at 01:12 AM.