Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Iron Speedo Mount Mod

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 03:51 AM
Airframer
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Iron Speedo Mount Mod

Just finished installing a 48 speedometer mount on my 2014 Iron. It took me about 4 hours to fully finish the install. Most of the time was spent modding the risers to accept the 48's speedo mount. I saw a video on youtube that someone did this mod to their risers. I think I took less material only removing what needed to be removed to make it fit. I mounted the headlight brow below where it's normally mounted. It does not sit flush so I used two of the longer screws that were originally in the handlebar mount to make sure enough threads are holding it on. It's temporary till I get a bottom mount headlight. Most of the leg work was done with a dremel and used a hack saw to cut out one section to speed things up a little. Everything was painted before installing.

An old pic but how it looked before

After

Last edited by Airframer; 02-09-2016 at 03:55 AM.
Old 02-10-2016, 01:35 AM
Airframer
Tourer

A few day time pics.

Old 02-10-2016, 02:36 AM
IronRoughneck
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love what you've done there, man! It looks really good. I have been trying to figure out what I want to do with my Speedo cause I hate the way it stands out on my ride and it seems you may have solved the problem for me. I was initially thinking about a relocation to the side of the bike, but I realized that I actually like having it front and center, I just don't like the way it sticks up. So then I was debating about buying a headlight fairing to cover up the speedo and voila- you come up with this! Where did you find the part btw? And is it something you would recommend to a guy that might be alittle less experienced at machining?

Old 02-10-2016, 02:51 AM
Airframer
Tourer

I felt the same. I don't like the side mount, I like having it up in front but it is like a speedo boner, lol. This looks more compact and just right. Even with the brow it looks ok now. If I was going to keep the brow I would put some spacers between the top triple tree and the brow but I'm still looking for a decent used bottom mount light. I found one locally but it's pretty much new and the dealer wanted $250 for it. I'll get a decent aftermarket new one for $150 before I do that...

The part is a used 48 speedometer holder. They don't come up on ebay often so when one came up even for $99 I bought it. The machining might be a tough project if you haven't done much of it before, however if you do I recommend having a good day so that you can take your time. The old saying is you can take away more but you can't add so take away a little at a time and keep fit checking it. I cleaned it up with a file and sand paper after and painted. Looks clean now even though it's not easily seen.

The expensive alternative is the RSD cafe mount. I was originally thinking of going with that but it's so expensive I have been holding off on it. Glad I did.

Old 02-10-2016, 03:20 AM
IronRoughneck
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the tips! I will definitely make sure to look into finding that 48 part. I'm not afraid of trying something new and spending the extra time to make sure it works properly- hell sounds like a perfect rainy Saturday afternoon job to me!

If you eventually end up going with the RSD Cafe Racer Mount at some point in the future, let us know how you like the lowered light and flat speedo compared to where it is now. I will likely be looking into that as well if I can't find the 48 speedo. Still, I suppose there is always the headlight fairing, though Sons Of Anarchy kinda ruined that look for me a little bit... lol

I suppose time and availability will eventually tell.

Old 02-10-2016, 05:37 AM
Airframer
Tourer

I won't be going the RSD route. I like how this looks more, I was just considering that before I figured out modding on the 48 speedo mount.