Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Best of Idaho riding??

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 07:20 PM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,291 Likes on 1,905 Posts

Originally Posted by nibroc
would that be the snake river?
Lochsa River, The Selway joins it in Lowell ID then I think it becomes the Clear Water River. Get on google earth and type in Lowell ID and look at that country.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clearw...idrivermap.png

Old 02-09-2016, 10:15 PM
Hausguy
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

It's all good. Many good recommendations here.

Old 02-09-2016, 10:55 PM
Nickatnyt
Road Warrior
Received 123 Likes on 83 Posts

Any of the state highways in SW WA will do you right. Massive vistas of farmland and canyons...no 100' trees to block your view for miles in any direction.

Mountains are ok, but I've already seen enough Ponderosa pine to last a lifetime. I like my riding views unobscured with nothing for the damn forest rats to hide behind.

Old 02-10-2016, 04:15 AM
Ultra Rider 07
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 290 Likes on 142 Posts

We only had a couple days to spend last time we were out that way, From all of the good info here looks like I may have to add a few more days the next time around.

Old 02-10-2016, 06:48 PM
Cab Lizzard
Advanced
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Lava Hot Springs on HWY 30 for a nice warm soak after a long day.
Never have found a bad ride yet in Idaho.

Last edited by Cab Lizzard; 02-10-2016 at 07:23 PM.
Old 02-11-2016, 06:32 PM
JeremyHagen68
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 269 Likes on 268 Posts

Thanks for all the info once again. Any other info is greatly appreciated!!

Old 02-12-2016, 12:06 AM
wyoming55
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Ive ridden most roads mentioned, lots of good advice, been about 10 years so I cant remember the Rd No's without getting out a map, but been through about all those towns, lots of cool roads and scenery in Idaho

Old 02-17-2016, 08:00 AM
bigwave916
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by OneBlackFly
Anywhere in ID that is not flat is great riding.
Wow! Maybe I need to spend two days there.

Thanks for all the advice. My plan right now is to arrive Idaho from SLC via Twin Falls and ride to Ketchum to spend the night. I'll take 93 to the north up to Lolo then come over to Grangeville. I at least want to see the Indian battleground and ride 95 for a stretch. I'd like to ride the Whitehorse Switchback. Then I'd head to Portland OR through Washington via US12 and Hwy 14.

I routinely ride 600 mile plus days, but I don't want to just blow by everything. I hope I'm not biting off more than I can chew.

Old 02-17-2016, 11:33 AM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,291 Likes on 1,905 Posts

Originally Posted by bigwave916
Wow! Maybe I need to spend two days there.

Thanks for all the advice. My plan right now is to arrive Idaho from SLC via Twin Falls and ride to Ketchum to spend the night. I'll take 93 to the north up to Lolo then come over to Grangeville. I at least want to see the Indian battleground and ride 95 for a stretch. I'd like to ride the Whitehorse Switchback. Then I'd head to Portland OR through Washington via US12 and Hwy 14.

I routinely ride 600 mile plus days, but I don't want to just blow by everything. I hope I'm not biting off more than I can chew.
Last year my wife and I rode from North Salt Lake to Salmon ID via Ketchum and it wasn't a long day. We probably hit the rd by 8:30 -9 and I don't recall what time we got to Salmon maybe 5pm. We stop for the views but usually just blow through the tourist towns like Ketchum.

If you like history, Lewis and Clarks winter qtrs. in Astoria OR. was interesting then you can head south on 101.

Old 02-17-2016, 03:46 PM
turdlefxst
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If it were me, and coming north on 93.
Pull off 93 at White Bird, have a toddy at the little local bar, then head out of there on the "Old White Bird hwy" back onto 93. Grangeville take hwy 13 back to hwy 12, or a little detour on hwy 14 to Elk City and back. it turns to gravel at elk city so you have to come back to 13, But wow what a sweet ride. Once back on 12 the Clearwater motel in Kamiah is good to stay at. When you hit Lewiston, go south on hwy 129 to Or. hwy 3, into Enterprise & Joesph...check Wallowa Lake. Coming out of Enterprise west to Elgin, you can jump back up to Walla Walla and hwy 12. Or go south to I-84 and pick a direction.... hwy 395 will drop you out at Mt Vernon hwy 26,but I would drop souyh to Baker city, the west on hwy 7, to Austin Jct. stop in Sumpter to check it out "Old mining dredge and stuff. From Austin Jct hwy 26 towards Mitchell, lots of great riding and scenery "Painted hills, and Fossil bed country small town, no traffic, and curvey paved back rds.
If you want to bypass that and do hwy 12, you'll come thru Packwood, my home...... But go to Randle and south on USFS rd 23 to Carson.... Thru Mt St. Helens country, and our little "dragon rd"
The coast is not that impressive to me, but we see it all the time.
Enjoy and add some more days if needed, or your gonna have to come back

There are some other secret rds in the area also, but I'm not gonna tell............Happy Trails

Quick Reply: Best of Idaho riding??