General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS are we getting stupier?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 04:16 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,546 Likes on 3,057 Posts

Originally Posted by HenryT
Hate to say it but FAR too many people who operate motorcycles never learned how to properly and aggressively use the front brake. I recommend to anybody who will listen to learn on the dirt trying to go fast. I learned it racing MX at a competitive level and on my Harley today I still apply those lessons. TBH on the street on my big heavy Breakout I pretty much just use the front brake all the time, since its so heavy from what I'm used to I also use the rear just to prevent premature wear on the front pads LOL.

Yeah my bike has ABS also which is fine by me, in a panic stop it will come in handy, really don't see a down side to it. More than anything the ABS helps you to be able to continue to steer in a panic stop....locked up wheels don't steer.

Yeah, but with ABS a rookie doesn't need to know that anymore. He can wear out his back brake pads and the rear will never lock up. Only in a panic stop when he grabs a handful will he use the front brake fully.

(Which is fine I guess until he takes his buddy's non-ABS bike out for a spin.)

Old 02-10-2016, 05:22 AM
6530mask
Elite HDF Member
Received 451 Likes on 345 Posts

I could pretty much guarantee that in a crisis most riders will be standing on their brakes.

Old 02-10-2016, 06:40 AM
Robjr
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

If I was the OP, I wouldn't ride with the buddy, who the hell uses just the front brake anyways and jams on it.

Old 02-10-2016, 11:29 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

I use the front brake about 90% of the time. I have never "jammed on" the front only. I did jam both brakes a couple times in the past. I try to ride so I don't have to jam on either brake, but $hit happens once in a while.
I do not like or want ABS or any other safety feature. I want to actually drive my car/bike myself and rely on my skills and not some machine.

I guess all the morons that talk/text LOVE all those features.

Old 02-10-2016, 11:40 AM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Originally Posted by ohiomike
my body just when down, he`s ok but was riding his other bike w/o ABS and he was so used to ABS that he hit his front brake hard and wheel went under,dumped him, he said my other bike has ABS and when he hit front brake hard , didn't happen...I said "DUH" but I still understood him, do we now TRUST that when we ride, we gotta realize what we`re riding or just go old school, and master our machines???????????? hope that makes sense.........
Both of my BMWs have ABS; my Road King and Suzuki DR650 don't. The bikes are so different that I have to ride them differently, especially in the rain. But if I had two identical bikes, one with ABS and one without, I can see how there might be a problem. What I like about ABS is that I don't have to concentrate so much on braking in the rain and on gravel roads. I like to ride aggressively at a "sporting pace", and ABS just makes that easier. My next bike might have Traction Control, so maybe I'll use that the same way, I don't know.

Old 02-10-2016, 01:43 PM
Jumper1
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't really see the problem with ABS. If it activates you have already messed up. If it keeps you from eating asphalt it is worth it.

Old 02-10-2016, 02:08 PM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Jumper1
I don't really see the problem with ABS. If it activates you have already messed up. If it keeps you from eating asphalt it is worth it.
How have you "already messed up" by using your bike's ABS? It's just a tool that lets a rider brake hard on wet roads without locking the wheels with the brakes.

Last edited by RK4ME; 02-10-2016 at 02:12 PM.
Old 02-10-2016, 03:11 PM
Jumper1
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Someone had posted to the effect they have to change the way they brake going from one bike with to the one bike without ABS. My point was that if you braked to the point of lock up that at least a bike with ABS would help to keep you from eating asphalt.

Old 02-10-2016, 06:15 PM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member

Someone had posted to the effect they have to change the way they brake going from one bike with to the one bike without ABS. My point was that if you braked to the point of lock up that at least a bike with ABS would help to keep you from eating asphalt.
What I like about ABS, is that there IS NO point of lock up. Except for cornering speed, I ride my ABS bikes on wet pavement the same way I ride them on dry pavement. ABS is as much of a convenience feature as it is a safety feature.
I've been riding since the sixties and I've "lost the front end" before, so I know what it feels like.

Old 02-11-2016, 10:35 AM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 615 Likes on 384 Posts

I agree. ABS is all good. Some insurance companies offer a discount for bikes with ABS.

Quick Reply: ABS are we getting stupier?