Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this normal????

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 08:55 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,179 Likes on 2,450 Posts

Originally Posted by meangreen02
Ok so here is the deal, I let them do the repair and when leaving I said so my next service is at 10,000 right. TECH says no you have pre-paid service so the next one is at 7500. What gives I have been paying extra for full SYN and getting the oil changed every 2 to 3 thousand anyone else ever hear of this????
yep. on the prepaid service plans, they do a service every 2500 miles. even though the factory spec is every 5k. that's how the math works, they tell you that you can save x number of dollars with the prepaid instead of paying full pop for a service. only what they don't tell you is that they are throwing extra services in there. hell, you could save money just by following the mfg service schedule instead of the $300-400 they want every 2.5k.

I do my own (as do many). they tried to get me to buy the prepaid service for three years at $2500 dollars. no way. I ride about 10k per year, and figured my cost for supplies for the three year period (using synthetic oil) to be less than $600.

with the prepaid plan, If I were you, I wouldn't pay extra for synthetic. at that change interval, unless you sit in traffic every day, day in/day out, you'd be wasting money using syn. imo. unfortunately, you're stuck, but lesson learned for next time.

Old 05-25-2016, 10:17 AM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 836 Posts

I am on my third Harley, but this is the first one I bought new. At 2000 mile service....
If I recall, at St Paul HD in MN they had a 1000, 2500 and then a 5000.

The 2500 was for something misc like a belt adjustment or just a quick check. I did the 1k only....as most do.

Old 05-25-2016, 10:51 AM
ramblin5
Road Master

Received 217 Likes on 110 Posts

Shouldn't have to pay extra for synthetic on your pre-paid service. You're supposed to be able to use whatever you want at no extra charge. That's how mine has worked for the last 50k miles.

Old 05-25-2016, 11:11 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

I guess that would be dealer specific. my 'local' dealer bases their prepaid service plans on hd360 oil, and charges extra if you want to go with syn 3, about $4 per qt.

Old 05-25-2016, 11:50 AM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 521 Likes on 361 Posts

Man, I hope that prepaid service came with a loaner bike. I would be pissed if it didnt

Old 05-25-2016, 11:58 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

why would you need a loaner? it only takes 1 to 1-1/2 hrs to fully do a service.....

Old 05-25-2016, 04:41 PM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 521 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
why would you need a loaner? it only takes 1 to 1-1/2 hrs to fully do a service.....
Because waiting at a dealership sucks and I have better things to do than wait at a dealership and playing with my ****. And most dealerships that I go to are always busy no matter what. You HAVE to make an appointment to get service done and it takes a day to get it finished.

Old 05-26-2016, 02:48 AM
meangreen02
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Thank You for all the replies. I have always done my own service but I figured with a new bike I would let them do it until the warranty was up so there would be no doubt if an issue was covered or not. With that said I did not pay $2500 I paid $700 for the pre-paid service and I was informed I would have to pay extra for the SYN.

Old 05-26-2016, 07:19 AM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,284 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Thank You for all the replies. I have always done my own service but I figured with a new bike I would let them do it until the warranty was up so there would be no doubt if an issue was covered or not. With that said I did not pay $2500 I paid $700 for the pre-paid service and I was informed I would have to pay extra for the SYN.
You got your money back after the 5K if your dealer prices are like those in the links below. I didn't realize how much it costs to go to a dealer.

http://www.beachhousehd.com/repair-y...e-pricing-menu

http://www.syshd.com.au/show-me/harl.../service-menu/

Old 05-26-2016, 01:49 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by TUCCI
Funny is not the word I would use.....Fishy is a better one.

There is no valid reason for changing oil that often. You might want to read the service plan contract for the straight poop. I find it very, very odd that there would be a shifter seal leak at 2000 miles. (anything is possible, but I still stand behind very, very, odd)

BTW, getting rid of the heel part of the shifter and going toe-only is the best way to go. That way you won't find yourself "stomping" that shifter with your heel and aggravating that seal geometry into another leak. Another plus is that your foot is no longer "trapped" in one position on the left footboard (not floorboard, bikes do not have floorboards).

Enjoy your new bike.....but I would heavily scrutinize your service techs activities. There is no reason you shouldn't be performing your own service. My bike has never been back to the dealer since the day I purchased it.

Quick Reply: Is this normal????