Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MAP Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 04:31 PM
Bogie_71
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default MAP Sensor

Anyone have experience with where the MAP sensor is located? Edit: 2015 XL883N

While I was out riding today the bike had a few moments where it felt like it cut power while maintaining a steady throttle and the check engine light came on for a few seconds. The light went back off and I rode it around a bit more and it seemed to run normally.

Anyways, I got home and checked the diagnostics and got P0108 on the ECM which seems to indicate MAP sensor high. The light stayed off so I'll clear out the code and take it for a ride tomorrow morning for a bit and see if symptoms continue. If so, I'll roll by the dealership. I would guess this should be a warranty part that probably shouldn't fail under 1k.

Figured I would check the connections though if I could find the right sensor. I checked my throttle cables and the nut that locks in the adjustment was all the way loose so I checked the throttle adjustments and tightened that back up.

Last edited by Bogie_71; 08-07-2015 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Forgot model
Old 08-09-2015, 07:05 AM
Bogie_71
Cruiser

Took it to the dealership and they told me that the codes were historical and that the bike will occasionally flash the check engine light if their codes in it. I'm not 100% sure I buy this as when I first checked there was only one code and then later there were two codes but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

They cleared codes, added gas, and it ran fine all the way home even though on the way to the dealer ship it kept hesitating and backfiring a lot.

On the upside yesterday was a great day to ride and I got some more practice in with traffic and all kinds of other craziness around.

Old 08-16-2015, 08:22 AM
Bogie_71
Cruiser
Default Problem is back

Here is a "surprise", the supposedly historical code (which I knew it wasn't) came back and the bike keeps acting like it is going to stall anytime it is under power. The check engine light is on more than off.

Same codes as before. Will be interesting to see what the dealer says but they are going to have to come tow it so I guess no riding for a while. I was riding at about 40 (in 3rd gear) and it acted like it was going to stall and went from 40 to 20 in about a block with the same throttle input. Not feeling to secure riding the 20 miles to the dealer.

Engine codes are P0108 and P0113. Checked all the connections and everything seems good. Supposedly they ran a sensor diagnostic last time I had it in. It ran good for about 40 miles after the dealer visit and started throwing codes again. Cleared it out yesterday, started today and just didn't want to run well at all and as it warmed up it got worse.

Bike only has 1k miles

Old 08-25-2015, 08:59 AM
MikeLaPlaya
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

i am having the same problem .....same error codes ..
says to check connections ...
also getting the error that the air inlet is open or to hot ..
will keep watching this thread ...
out with the service manual.....oh dear ...i could be the problem ...

Old 08-25-2015, 09:02 AM
MikeLaPlaya
Tourer

here is a quick read on fuel systems.
http://www.harley-performance.com/ha...injection.html

Old 08-25-2015, 09:55 AM
Bogie_71
Cruiser

I had mine at the dealer and they found that the tmap wire was pinched in with the other sensor assemblies from the factory. They fixed that and it ran a lot better for about 130 miles then I started getting check engine light and same codes.

Now I am wondering if a wire is broken in the wiring harness or maybe the sensor was damaged from being shorted? Seems to me if the sensor was damaged it would always be on but maybe just within certain parameters it starts to error out.

Taking it back to dealer again so hopefully they will be able to look at it this week and see if they can find anything else. If they do I will update the thread.

Old 08-25-2015, 12:40 PM
MikeLaPlaya
Tourer

ok thanks for that ..

Old 08-28-2015, 01:13 PM
Bogie_71
Cruiser

Now they tell me bad TMAP sensor so I am waiting on replacement part. Hopefully they will have it in next week.

So far:
1) Pinched wire for the TMAP sensor. They fixed that and get CEL again.
2) Now replacing TMAP sensor.

I won't be able to verify until I get the bike back but I am really hoping that resolves it and I can finally get some good riding in. Other than these problems I really like the bike; the times that it has run good it has been fantastic.

Old 09-02-2015, 05:44 PM
Bogie_71
Cruiser

Sorry, no update for you so far if that fixed the problem. Apparently that part is backordered with no ETA given to me on when I'll get it fixed yet.

Edit: With any luck maybe today! Probably tomorrow but I am hoping!

Last edited by Bogie_71; 09-03-2015 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Update
Old 09-06-2015, 08:02 PM
Bogie_71
Cruiser

Originally Posted by MikeLaPlaya
i am having the same problem .....same error codes ..
says to check connections ...
also getting the error that the air inlet is open or to hot ..
will keep watching this thread ...
out with the service manual.....oh dear ...i could be the problem ...
What does it say for you being the problem? That seems strange.

Anyways, they replaced the MAP sensor and it is still having the issue. As long as it runs I guess I'll just ride it until the dealer has to come tow it. After the work they did it runs better, for the most part other than cruising along at 60 and getting the occasional sputter that drops me 1 or 2mph for a second and then keeps on going.

Just won't sink any money into upgrades and I'll trade up in a year or two as long as it is running good enough.

Quick Reply: MAP Sensor