2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom Dynamics TruBeam 7" LED Headlight?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 12:20 PM
Buckeye Rider
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom Dynamics TruBeam 7" LED Headlight?

Has anyone purchased and installed one of these yet? Interested in reviews.
CD is supposed to also release the matching LED passing lamps this month. The headlight is $440 and passing lamps are $300 for the pair... Chunk of change, I know. I'm thinking about picking up the headlamp from CD and buying FuelMoto LED replacement bulbs for the passing lamps. $60 for the pair. Wondering about the look and visual performance. I rarely ride at night, so looking for the best daytime visibility- to be seen by others...
Thanks for the feedback.

Old 03-14-2016, 10:04 PM
Captnpirate
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I use a Truck Lite phase 7 LED headlight and I love it..

Old 03-14-2016, 10:53 PM
rv7garage
Road Master
Received 198 Likes on 157 Posts

That phase 7 looks real nice. Also liking the engine guard LEDs

Old 09-12-2016, 06:21 PM
ATM983
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A little late but was doing some research on the TruBeam. I ordered mine and will post some reviews when it is installed. Should be here tomorrow.

Old 09-12-2016, 07:54 PM
Mr_King
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ATM983
A little late but was doing some research on the TruBeam. I ordered mine and will post some reviews when it is installed. Should be here tomorrow.
Can't wait.

The following 2 users liked this post by Mr_King:
Redwood2112 (04-08-2019), Ricochet59 (10-01-2016)
Old 09-12-2016, 08:17 PM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 22,059 Likes on 8,481 Posts

Custom Dynamics makes some pretty good stuff. I have their fog lamp (LED)s and the tail light space filler LEDs.

Old 09-12-2016, 08:33 PM
rvdoc
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I went with the Vision X from Yaffe. Bright and looks good. Nice halo ring that increases others chances of seeing you.

Old 09-12-2016, 08:37 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 244 Likes on 194 Posts

Prices are getting very competitive and more and more manufactures coming out with the LED packages should check out Amazon site quite few selection and priced are very right.

Old 09-13-2016, 08:48 PM
vhmike73
Road Captain

Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by rvdoc
I went with the Vision X from Yaffe. Bright and looks good. Nice halo ring that increases others chances of seeing you.
In doing a lot of comparison/research while shopping for a replacement for the utterly pitiful "Daymaker" that is stock on my Ultra Limited, it appears (I'll leave it at "appears", since I don't have either lamp, but...) that the Custom Dynamics lamp is the same as the Vision X from Yaffee, but with a different nameplate in it (and possibly lacking the built-in "halo"). The factory "Daymaker" is complete garbage (stock on a Limited?? Really HD??). Ultimately I went with the JW Speaker 8700 Rev II based on reviews/comments here and price (less than $280 delivered). The 8700 Rev II is still lacking, though a bit better in the corners. It's only because I rotated my spots that I have any confidence riding at night unless I'm in town with streetlights aiding my turns.

I had the "Daymaker Reflector" on my 2011 Street Glide (with the matching spots) and I feel that was a MUCH better combination than what came on my Ultra Limited- the so-called "top of the touring line bike". The only gripe I had with that setup was that the high-beam only seemed to put a "hotspot" out in the leading edge of the lighting beam; it didn't really seem to work very well at raising the horizon. I'm not sure if that was a fluke with my headlamp or the way that light works overall, but I could ride with the highbeam on all the time and never got flashed for it, which doesn't say much for the effectiveness of that lamp. Still, I believe Harley needs to make the Daymaker Reflector the factory installed lighting setup for the Ultra Limited/Low like they do on the Road Glides. Unless someone comes up with a definitive review of the CD TruBeam setup (including the announced spotlights) that shows they're hands-down better, I'm saving my pennies for the Daymaker Reflector setup that I can install over the winter.

I hope one of those who've purchased the Custom Dynamics TruBeam or Vision X can post up a solid review, especially relating to how much of a cutoff there is with the lamps as you lean into corners. All LED headlamps will reach out in front of you well, but it's the hard cutoff when you're cornering that makes or breaks an LED headlamp IMO. When I had the TL Phase 7, that too had a horrible cutoff that caused turns to stay black when leaning, and the matching spots didn't help as much as I wanted- that's when I moved to the Daymaker Reflector setup.

Old 09-13-2016, 09:21 PM
Mr_King
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by vhmike73
In doing a lot of comparison/research while shopping for a replacement for the utterly pitiful "Daymaker" that is stock on my Ultra Limited, it appears (I'll leave it at "appears", since I don't have either lamp, but...) that the Custom Dynamics lamp is the same as the Vision X from Yaffee, but with a different nameplate in it (and possibly lacking the built-in "halo"). The factory "Daymaker" is complete garbage (stock on a Limited?? Really HD??). Ultimately I went with the JW Speaker 8700 Rev II based on reviews/comments here and price (less than $280 delivered). The 8700 Rev II is still lacking, though a bit better in the corners. It's only because I rotated my spots that I have any confidence riding at night unless I'm in town with streetlights aiding my turns.

I had the "Daymaker Reflector" on my 2011 Street Glide (with the matching spots) and I feel that was a MUCH better combination than what came on my Ultra Limited- the so-called "top of the touring line bike". The only gripe I had with that setup was that the high-beam only seemed to put a "hotspot" out in the leading edge of the lighting beam; it didn't really seem to work very well at raising the horizon. I'm not sure if that was a fluke with my headlamp or the way that light works overall, but I could ride with the highbeam on all the time and never got flashed for it, which doesn't say much for the effectiveness of that lamp. Still, I believe Harley needs to make the Daymaker Reflector the factory installed lighting setup for the Ultra Limited/Low like they do on the Road Glides. Unless someone comes up with a definitive review of the CD TruBeam setup (including the announced spotlights) that shows they're hands-down better, I'm saving my pennies for the Daymaker Reflector setup that I can install over the winter.

I hope one of those who've purchased the Custom Dynamics TruBeam or Vision X can post up a solid review, especially relating to how much of a cutoff there is with the lamps as you lean into corners. All LED headlamps will reach out in front of you well, but it's the hard cutoff when you're cornering that makes or breaks an LED headlamp IMO. When I had the TL Phase 7, that too had a horrible cutoff that caused turns to stay black when leaning, and the matching spots didn't help as much as I wanted- that's when I moved to the Daymaker Reflector setup.
JW just upgraded theirs to Adaptive.

The following 2 users liked this post by Mr_King:
Fatarrow (11-08-2017), Ricochet59 (10-01-2016)

Quick Reply: Custom Dynamics TruBeam 7" LED Headlight?