Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ak's 06 883xl

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 11:59 AM
AK883xl
Road Captain
Received 48 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Ak's 06 883xl

Hi Harley Heads. I have been stalking the forums for a while but finally signed up so i can contribute and ask some questions, show off my build and riding experience. Im here in Dallas Tx and just purchased my own first bike, an 06 black sportster 883xl with 10,000 on the odometer. Ive ridden previously on friends and parents bikes back in NY. Im loving this bike so far and have no complaints. since receiving the bike ive done small mods to my taste. Took off the 2 up seat and sissy bar, gave it a good wipe down, wash, wax polish and look over. Previous owner loaded it up with chrome accents and even looks as if he took a slide on it or parked it somewhere where it fell over. im in the process of replacing the scratched parts and getting the bike more comfortable for my stature of 5'4". I ordered Burly Brand 10.5 stubby rear shocks to give it a lower stance.

Constantly updated photo below

what i want her to look like:

Mods DONE:
10" tc bros black z bars with internal wire and dimpled
Biltwell Oxblood red handlebar grips
Burly Slammer rear shocks 10.5" rear
JP Cycles 1" rear lowering blocks
shorter black jiffy kick stand
side mount axle license plate bracket
autometer gauge clamp speedometer relocated
cut and ground down stock speedo and repaint for bracket
red rear turn signal caps instead of amber
amber front turn signal bulbs
clear front turn signal lenses
front turn signal relocation 39mm clamps
custom headlight bracket/brow delete
iron and 48 style mirror flip with angle blind spot add ons
mirrors painted gloss black
chopped and lowered front short fender
chopped and painted rear fender
HD run-brake-turn signal module rear middle brake delete
painted rear fender support covers and turn signal mounts black
blacked out front fork sliders and reflector delete
V-twin Manufacturing slash cut stepped dragpipes wrapped in titanium
Screamin Eagle stage 1 oval air cleaner
DK Customs black handlebar clamp with integrated dummy lights (replacing dk customs handlebar grip dummy light bracket)
DK Customs LED side mount plate light
gas tank paint stripped - raw steel finish
flush mount black push pop up gas tank cap
black front break and clutch levers
black out tribal HD pegs
arlen ness black knurled shift peg
black headlight slotted grille
Kawell LED light bar front mounted for night riding
Swingarm leather harley solo bag
wrinkle black engine jugs, primary and engine casing
painted mirrors black
custom cut logo vinysl for tank (temporary until actual paint)

PLANS:
extended passenger left side peg from solo bag mod
Led license plate light
Led red light strip under rear fender
gas tank external fuel gauge meter install
gas tank custom art and clear coated
custom seat leathers re wrap or new seat plus 2 up
new paint on front fender
brighter headlight (daymaker or HID)
led front mini turn signals
paint fork trees black
new rims or powder coat black
tune? or 1250 kit?

at the dealership

delivery day

im a shorter stocky guy but the bike fits me perfect

want to sell these as they provide no visibility to traffic behind me. going to switch back to the OEM black mirrors like the Iron883s have

put about 2-3 hours of elbow grease into rubbing out the oxidation and got her all shined up.
Before:

After:

bike now with less accesories on it

want to powder coat the wheels black, get 1" low rise drag bars to get it lower looking almost bobbed, relocate the front signal indicators, new slip on aftermarket louder pipes or drill the baffles out, get the laydown brake light and plate for the rear and possibly chop the rear fender slightly shorter

and question.. Upon waxing i snagged the air cleaner hose which is now hanging lose from behind the stock filter. I know some people have it hanging down from under the bike and some have it rigged to a "Horse Shoe" system that goes to a catch can. The hose isnt long enough and doesnt reach down under the bike so im guessing it was attached somewhere to the OEM cap behind? any info or input on where this is connected would help alot.

Glad to be here and thanks ahead of time for the info

Last edited by AK883xl; 11-02-2016 at 12:40 PM.
Old 04-12-2016, 12:12 PM
edgeofinsanity
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Are you sure that hose is connected to the air cleaner? It looks like it might be the overflow, or drain, for the carb. I'd have to double check, but I believe mine is routed between the cylinders and back down towards the ground.

The following users liked this post:
AK883xl (04-12-2016)
Old 04-12-2016, 12:18 PM
AK883xl
Road Captain

yes i probably meant Carb.. its attached to the black plastic part behind it near the cylinders. ok i wasnt sure if that is where it went because of heat or moving belt parts etc. ill check again when i get home

Old 04-12-2016, 02:56 PM
HarleyScuba
Elite HDF Member
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

Nice job getting the rocker boxes and triple clamp shiny. I use a buffing wheel, attached to a drill, being careful, to take some of the manual labor out of the equation. Takes about 3 minutes for a triple clamp. The rocker boxes are substantially trickier with a power tool.
That's a stock air cleaner on your bike. It has the little air scoop under the chrome cover. A Harley Screamin' Eagle, high flow air cleaner eliminates that air scoop, but the SE air cleaner allows more air flow due to its different backing plate and filter element. The hose you see is most likely the vent line, to atmosphere. Here's a diagram from Ronnie's HD OEM Parts Finder (I love this feature of their web site)
http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche..../%20ENRICHENER
When you get your new pipes (or slip-on mufflers instead of a full, new exhaust system), seriously consider a high flow air cleaner. It doesn't need to be a Screamin' Eagle version. There's a hundred aftermarket options available. Also, re-jet the carb, to see a marked improvement in the performance, beyond simply having noisier pipes. This combination of mods - air cleaner, re-jet and pipes, is often called, "The Harley Tax".
I hope your new ride provides years of faithful service.
Welcome to the forum.

Last edited by HarleyScuba; 04-12-2016 at 02:59 PM. Reason: nunya
AK883xl (04-12-2016)
Old 04-12-2016, 04:36 PM
AK883xl
Road Captain

great and helpful info... im going to keep all this in mind as i search for my parts. Thanks for the diagram... that helps alot too

Old 04-12-2016, 06:18 PM
tmultra
Road Warrior
Received 593 Likes on 190 Posts

I just bought the exact same year and model bike one month ago. I've been working on mine too. Got a spring solo seat on chopped the rear fender relocated turn signals and license plate. Also blacked out the front shocks and air cleaner. Enjoy the new bike!

Old 04-12-2016, 08:27 PM
Jaystn62
Stellar HDF Member

Received 213 Likes on 155 Posts

My first Harley was a 06 883c. Great little bike around town and backroads but decided I wanted more of a road bike. Would eventually like to get a Sporty just for around town and backroad riding with the wife

Berardi3 (06-19-2016)
Old 04-12-2016, 09:50 PM
AK883xl
Road Captain

thats exactly what i planned for this one.. just to enjoy the nice days cruising around town.. do some back road riding and once and a while ride 10 mins to work. i live in the city area of dallas but all the good food and hang spots are close by. i missed riding and wanted to be able to pull up on my own bike when i didnt feel like driving my car so the 883 was the perfect bike for me. size wise too!

Old 04-12-2016, 10:09 PM
tlaw
Road Captain
Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

It's a nice looking bike. Congratulations. Keep us posted on any new mods.

Berardi3 (06-19-2016)
Old 04-14-2016, 08:32 PM
AK883xl
Road Captain

so i temporarily plasti dipped the mirrors and inverted them under the bars. believe it or not i can actually see more of whats behind me. also did some small bolts here and there that i didnt want chrome until i can get them painted black.

always love this site! the burly slammer 10.5" shocks came in today so that made my day. might be going on this weekend.

also went to the local art store and had some small ideas for matte black vinyl, stay tuned!

Last edited by AK883xl; 04-15-2016 at 01:06 PM.

Quick Reply: Ak's 06 883xl