Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

From 2016 Low Rider to Raw Rider build

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 08:41 AM
SquishyLowRider
Road Master
Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts
Default From 2016 Low Rider to Raw Rider build

I wanted to create a build thread so that I can keep up with my changes so that I can look back in time to see how much my bike has changed over time. I should have done this earlier because I have a crap load of pics. I've been clogging up the Club Style Thread with my build and should have just done this before.

First pic is for reference purposes only as I have accidentally deleted my pics of the bike when I first purchased it.

This is a stock HD pic:

I originally wanted a Denim Black Street Bob, but I got a great deal on the Low Rider.

Being an constant tinkerer in the garage, I was ready to start my first mod. I chose one that a lot of guys have done. I removed the reflectors and stickers the day after I brought her home.

After riding a stock bike for a month, I was ready to get to modding. This brought up my choice of going bobber, club style, or something unique. It took a while to decide on this one.

Being that I was a motocrosser for 35 years, I went more for the performance route and went with the club style look. The first thing that stood out for me were the T-bars so I went looking for bars. I purchased 10 inch Santee StraightUp Tbars. The install tool about 4 hours as this was the first HD that I've ever worked on.

The following users liked this post:
randyp (09-06-2016)
Old 06-21-2016, 08:47 AM
SquishyLowRider
Road Master

After an unfortunate incident with a texting cager, the bars only lasted about a month before they were bent. I also scratched up my tank paint. So after a grand total of about 1k miles, I had some unexpected work to do.

Here the tank after the incident:

At the time, I thought I has dented the tank, but it was really just clear coat damage. There was very little damage to the vivid black paint actually.

At this point, I went mod crazy. I got a decent insurance check and started putting it to use.

Old 06-21-2016, 08:55 AM
SquishyLowRider
Road Master

First up was the fabled Stage1 upgrade. I had put a good bit of time trying to decide on finishes and brands. The only thing I really knew was that it was going to be a 2 into 1.

As far as finishes go, I didn't care for the black on a bike that already had so much black on it. I liked the total blacked out look, but not with chrome mixed in which my LR had plenty of. I didn't care for the chrome pipes much either. It did start to grow on me, but I grew tired of polishing chrome. It gets spots so easily and I ride in all weather so it was a pain. Stainless steel was my choice after seeing a few on some bikes.

I went with Two Brothers Racing pipe because I had used their exhausts on my YZ450F (my last MX bike). It held up well an never had any problems with it. I went with a FP3 for the easy install and setup. For intake, I went with Arlen Ness Big Sucker. I also threw on some Bad and G battery cover bags as well. I'm thinking about selling them though. I haven't gotten used to them being in the way of my legs at traffic stops.

Old 06-21-2016, 09:05 AM
SquishyLowRider
Road Master

My next upgrade was to the shocks. I went with the basic Hagon shocks at 13.5 inches. That's a +1.5 inches over the stock shocks. I think I paid 260.00 for them, but they were once of the best upgrade that I have done. It made the entire bike better. I thought that the stock seat was a cinder block, but after the shocks, the stock seat is very nice. It made the bike handle much better and no more dragging footpegs.

Old 06-21-2016, 09:12 AM
SquishyLowRider
Road Master

The next mod was a bar change since the Santee's were tweaked. I originally wanted WestCoat Tbars, but the wait time put a nix in that as I am extremely impatient waiting on UPS/USPS. I went with Wild1 Psycho Steet Fighters. I bought the 10 inch versions. After much thought I also purchase the Memphis Shades Gauntlet fairing. I wanted something a little taller, but I would have to wait for a TSport rendition. I may eventually add an extension to it.

To cover the spot on the tank, I research vinyl wrap and attempted it for the first time. It wasn't that hard for what I was trying to do, but it took several attempts because I tried to go cheap and use some off brand stuff. In the pic below I used a 3M flat black wrap on the tank and fairing shield

Old 06-21-2016, 09:19 AM
SquishyLowRider
Road Master

After about a month, the bottom of the wrap started to come up. I'm sure it was my fault with the installation, but I originally blamed it on the heat from the engine as the peels were all close to the rocker covers.

So I decided to pull the wrap off. When I took the wrap off, some of the clear coat came with it. Not a good thing for people that want to be able to go back to the stock look. For me it wasn't a big deal as I was going to grind it all away anyway.

Here's a pic of the peeling clear coat:

Next, I took my axle grinder with one of those paint stripper bad and went to town on the tank.

Old 06-21-2016, 09:22 AM
SquishyLowRider
Road Master

Along this same time I wanted taller bars so I bought extensions. The stock LR cables are on the short side, but I was able to bring my bars to 12 inches using the stockers by rerouting the clutch cable and bending the front brake fitting connectors.

After reinstalling the tank, I ended up with this:

Old 06-21-2016, 09:25 AM
SquishyLowRider
Road Master

I'm still undecided on the look, but I do like that it is unique and has an industrial vibe to it.

Old 06-21-2016, 09:27 AM
SquishyLowRider
Road Master

After some suggestions to do the rest of the tins as well. I went after it this past weekend.

Here are some pics:

Old 06-21-2016, 09:34 AM
SquishyLowRider
Road Master

It's hard to tell from the pics, but I also wrapped the fairing with carbon fiber vinyl. This weekend, I may paint the fairing a silver/grey color to match the rest of the bike.

Another upcoming mod is to build a skid plate. I want something home made looking, but not too home made if you know what I mean. I've been looking at 6061 sheets of ALU and getting some ideas.

Quick Reply: From 2016 Low Rider to Raw Rider build