Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

swing arm bearing problems

Old 07-13-2016, 09:46 PM
fxrnutt
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Default swing arm bearing problems

So I noticed a little movement in the *** end of my bike.I could wiggle the wheel just a little(checked wheel bearings,all good ) . I have 2 months left on my warranty so I took it in and they rebuilt my swing arm. The bearing on the drive side was smoked. I only have 10k on the bike. Anyone else have or heard of swing arm issues?

Old 07-14-2016, 11:42 AM
amfhd
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

MY 06 has some movement on the left side. I can't shake the rear wheel, but if I grab the belt and tighten and loosen it when the bike is upright I can feel and hear some movement. I don't notice it when riding. About 39,000 miles.

Old 12-03-2016, 05:55 PM
fxrnutt
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Update . ....harley replaced swing arm bearing and bushing again under warranty . .....500 miles and I have a little play already and expect it to get worse like before....****in junk.....now looking for aftermarket solutions . ....anyone ?

Old 12-03-2016, 05:57 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Originally Posted by fxrnutt
Update . ....harley replaced swing arm bearing and bushing again under warranty . .....500 miles and I have a little play already and expect it to get worse like before....****in junk.....now looking for aftermarket solutions . ....anyone ?
timkin

Old 12-03-2016, 07:01 PM
Nemosengineer
Road Master
Received 221 Likes on 159 Posts

I replaced all moving parts in my swingarm pivot at 20K miles, at disassembly I found the right hand bushing was toast, bone dry, no lube from the factory. I replaced items 12, 14, and 17. Item 14 is a steel shelled bi-metallic split bushing. Item 17 is what that bushing runs on, the mating surface has a rather coarse machined finish that almost guarantees a short service life for the bushing.
The left hand side pivot is a rather large spherical plain bearing, item 9. This bearing controls the position of the swingarm relative to the pivot mount on the transmission and with grease should last a very long time.

The only flaw in the swingarm pivot is items 14 and 17 on the right hand side. Item 14 should be non-split and made from a good grade of Ampco bearing bronze with a grease groove and have a zerk fitting installed on the swingarm. Item 17 should be remade with nice tight tolerances in a good hardenable steel with a nicely ground surface that gets along with the bearing material. That would last a good long time.

s

: Mike

Old 12-03-2016, 07:09 PM
Suede Blue Man
HDF Community Team

Received 730 Likes on 502 Posts

Hmm, bummer. One more thing to keep an eye on, thanks for bringing this up again!

Nemo, appreciate your metalurgy knowledge, you seem up on this metal stuff

The following users liked this post:
Nemosengineer (12-04-2016)
Old 12-03-2016, 09:18 PM
Kraken
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I think mines developed a bit of play, with only 11k on it. Gonna use the warranty to check it out while it's still covered. 2014 FXDB.

Old 12-03-2016, 11:05 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,223 Likes on 3,607 Posts

Originally Posted by Nemosengineer
I replaced all moving parts in my swingarm pivot at 20K miles, at disassembly I found the right hand bushing was toast, bone dry, no lube from the factory. I replaced items 12, 14, and 17. Item 14 is a steel shelled bi-metallic split bushing. Item 17 is what that bushing runs on, the mating surface has a rather coarse machined finish that almost guarantees a short service life for the bushing.
The left hand side pivot is a rather large spherical plain bearing, item 9. This bearing controls the position of the swingarm relative to the pivot mount on the transmission and with grease should last a very long time.

The only flaw in the swingarm pivot is items 14 and 17 on the right hand side. Item 14 should be non-split and made from a good grade of Ampco bearing bronze with a grease groove and have a zerk fitting installed on the swingarm. Item 17 should be remade with nice tight tolerances in a good hardenable steel with a nicely ground surface that gets along with the bearing material. That would last a good long time.

Snipped the Pic

So did you replace the split bearing with Ampco 18 on your bike?

Old 12-04-2016, 04:22 PM
Nemosengineer
Road Master

Originally Posted by bwoltz
So did you replace the split bearing with Ampco 18 on your bike?
Hi Bwoltz,
Not yet, at the time I overhauled the pivot I just threw new parts at it and packed the works with Bel-Ray EP2 grease. The future plan is to find a alloy swing arm (Roaring Toyz) and fabricate the new pivot parts at that point.
Anytime I see a split bushing installed, the first thing that comes to mind is it's a cost saving measure, combined with the less than acceptable machine work of the "spacer" it runs on, the lack of weather protection, and lack of grease in my case, I'm surprised it went 20K miles.
My rough plan (subject to change at any moment) for the bushing is Ampco 25 with grease grooves, 4140 for the spacer (hardened RC 50+ than ground), about -2% of bushing ID for the clearances, and somewhere between 16 and 32 for the surface finishes. I will play with the diameters a bit to end up with a thicker wall bushing and use a light press fit with anti seize, and for the left hand side I will upgrade to a better equivalent size spherical bearing probably from Aurora bearings.
I would be very interested in your thoughts on this, I realize this is massive overkill but it should be fun to build .

Last edited by Nemosengineer; 12-04-2016 at 11:27 PM. Reason: I'm getting old and I need to fix what I write ; )
The following users liked this post:
Quickjr (08-07-2021)
Old 12-04-2016, 08:36 PM
Nemosengineer
Road Master

Originally Posted by Suede Blue Man
Hmm, bummer. One more thing to keep an eye on, thanks for bringing this up again!

Nemo, appreciate your metalurgy knowledge, you seem up on this metal stuff
Hi Mister Blue,
I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night ... I have been in the mechanical arena a long time, I inherit other people's, it don't work/it don't fit/obsolete/mechanical problems for a living.
Sometimes I actually fix something . Thanks!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: swing arm bearing problems