General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wartime production history

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 08:22 PM
chuck biscuits
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default wartime production history

picked up my first harley project last fall and restored it..its a 1943 wlc..but im starting to wonder if it is a civilian model..the serial number is throwing me off.usually they have more than 4 digits from the ones ive seen so far.original grey paint under the repaint..the fenders and front brake are more like the knucklehead type...could this be a civilian model?...i read that there were 38 civilian bikes made in 1943 that were sold to various company executives..all came in only one colour..grey..

Old 09-21-2016, 08:24 PM
kel03
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,044 Likes on 4,356 Posts

Can you put some pics up, bet everyone would to see it.

Old 09-21-2016, 08:42 PM
chuck biscuits
1st Gear
Default pics

yes i will take some shots of it tomorrow when i have some daylight and figure out how to post them..im a good mechanic but im retarded with technology,especially when it comes to computers..please bear with me lol

The following users liked this post:
kel03 (09-21-2016)
Old 09-22-2016, 06:46 AM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,704 Likes on 1,989 Posts

IIRC, a "WLC" was a military 45" built for Canada. As for the serial number, I'm at a loss. However, being that it was built for a "foreign" government, I suppose anything is possible, and they may have used a different numbering system for them.

Old 09-22-2016, 09:14 AM
Sierra977
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,988 Likes on 2,065 Posts

Soviet Union received 34,000 WLA motorcycles during Great Patriotic War (WW 2).

Old 09-22-2016, 04:31 PM
chuck biscuits
1st Gear

sorry folks,still working on trying to post pics but having difficulty as i am using my phone to do this.sent an email to myself with photos and attempted to forward them but no luck..im a military collector and restorer from manitoulin island,ontario canada and work closely with many of the museums here so ive been able to examine a good handful of wlcs and some wlas..some noteable differences between the 2 but the main one that stands out is the wlc had a footclutch and a hand clutch..no evidence that there was ever a hand clutch on this one..also my springer front end and bars are factory chrome..which was an option on the 38 that were produced

Old 09-22-2016, 04:32 PM
Halojumper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,344 Likes on 844 Posts

WLC is a WLA that went to Canada.

Old 09-22-2016, 04:35 PM
Halojumper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,344 Likes on 844 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck biscuits
picked up my first harley project last fall and restored it..its a 1943 wlc..but im starting to wonder if it is a civilian model..the serial number is throwing me off.usually they have more than 4 digits from the ones ive seen so far.original grey paint under the repaint..the fenders and front brake are more like the knucklehead type...could this be a civilian model?...i read that there were 38 civilian bikes made in 1943 that were sold to various company executives..all came in only one colour..grey..

Are you saying there are only 4 digits in the number part of the VIN? If so, that matches the numbering scheme for that era. Is it something like 43WLC1234?

Old 09-22-2016, 04:45 PM
chuck biscuits
1st Gear

also,the old boy that i bought it from picked it up back in the 60s at a surplus auction and indicated to me that in those days the 45s were considered "the farm tractor" of harleys and considered valueless..he told me everyone including himself were more into the 'big twins' and these 45s were often just raided for parts..that being said it is highly unlikely that this particular bike has had any parts changed on it...as for the vin#,the wlcs that ive seen have a much higher range of digits and lower numbered examples will have a zero before the actual number

Old 09-22-2016, 04:47 PM
chuck biscuits
1st Gear

yes thats how this one is numbered..43wlc8911 in my case

Quick Reply: wartime production history