Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally got my starting issue on video!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 04:28 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,509 Likes on 2,133 Posts
Default Finally got my starting issue on video!

As some may recall, I've been having starting issues where a VINERR appears and the occasional kick back of the compensator(?). But I haven't been able to recreate it a) in front of any HD tech, and b) when taking video.

Until today. After a good 2 hour or so ride I stopped for gas and thought, "what the hell". Pulled out the phone, and here it is. The kickback is louder in person, and a little hard to hear on the iphone video, but its there...

If someone can fill me in on how to post a video vs. a link, that would be helpful too.

Now off to my dealer to let them have a look.

Last edited by Mchad; 09-24-2016 at 04:18 PM.
Old 09-22-2016, 04:47 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,907 Likes on 3,015 Posts

What I'm hearing is a week starter or battery. Possibly a bad start switch. It sounds like the starter is dropping out and that's what you might be hearing as a "kick back"

The following users liked this post:
hd4evr2008 (09-22-2016)
Old 09-22-2016, 04:54 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,509 Likes on 2,133 Posts

Originally Posted by RANGER73
What I'm hearing is a week starter or battery. Possibly a bad start switch. It sounds like the starter is dropping out and that's what you might be hearing as a "kick back"
More likely a weak starter then the battery. If you watch the gauge, you can see it go dark - both the leds and the lcd as the starter pulls all the juice while it struggles.

I'd say I'm 100% sure its not the battery - tried it with a brand new one and same happened. Freshly charged after a good ride.

Old 09-22-2016, 04:59 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,907 Likes on 3,015 Posts

I've seen your other posts but don't remember the exact symptoms you described as I suffer from CRS.
So you checked battery.
Checked ALL cable connections.
Then that leaves the starter.
If the staters is dropping out, it could be the start solenoid has a bad coil.

Old 09-22-2016, 05:18 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Originally Posted by Mchad
As some may recall, I've been having starting issues where a VINERR appears and the occasional kick back of the compensator(?). But I haven't been able to recreate it a) in front of any HD tech, and b) when taking video.

Until today. After a good 2 hour or so ride I stopped for gas and thought, "what the hell". Pulled out the phone, and here it is. The kickback is louder in person, and a little hard to hear on the iphone video, but its there...

https://youtu.be/RSoComL09AQ

If someone can fill me in on how to post a video vs. a link, that would be helpful too.

Now off to my dealer to let them have a look.
https://youtu.be/RSoComL09AQ

seems like it is refusing to show here but the link works

the mobile version of the site ignores links for some reason

Old 09-22-2016, 05:31 PM
Maxxsmart
Road Master
Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

I can't prove this theory to be right, or wrong, but here's a quote from my post on your "OK, now I am pissed" thread.

I took the bike in a couple weeks ago to have the dealer take a look, and of course they found nothing. When I was there picking it up, the guy that sold me the bike said he had the issue show up a few times on his 14 DB. He explained that he turns the ignition with on, waits for the check engine light to shut off, then turn the run switch on, with for the pump to prime, then hits the starter. He explained, then showed me on my own bike, that sometimes the check engine light will not come on if you cycle the ignition with on too fast after shutting the bike off. At first, I called BS on it, then then he showed me. Ignition on, check engine light on, then cycled off. He turned the switch, waited about 5-10 seconds, then turned it again, and the check engine light didn't come on. We waited a minute, and cycled it on a again, and sure enough, the light came and went... Started just fine. After he showed me that, I have stopped for gas several times, stopped, and picked up a bottle of gin at BevMo, and made a few short stops here and there while the bike was hot, and still haven't had the issue again... Knock on wood again.

Your video is what I have experienced as well. I noticed your check engine light was still on when you cranked it. A tech at Fuel Moto explained to me that this is all probably the ACR(s) not open when it's hot. he explained that he can start his RG with manual releases closed when it cold just fine, but basically the motor will dead stop on the compression stroke if the releases are closed when it's hot.

Personally, I think its a combo of a $h!t battery, and the ACR(s) not opening all the time.

Last edited by Maxxsmart; 09-22-2016 at 05:49 PM.
The following users liked this post:
AgentOrange883 (10-02-2016)
Old 09-22-2016, 05:39 PM
Jake911
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Geez. . . that soun ds like my '98 Evo when the starter was about to kick out the starting ring gear teeth. And it did! Switched to the old style lower tooth count starter ring and a new high torque stater solved the problem. Can you even change out the TC starter ring to the old style? I have no idea.

I remember you having battery issues and have a new lithium battery so that should not be the issue. As mentioned above, double check all the positive and negative battery connections. But it sounds like the starter is worn and going south. Is this just when it's warm or also cold? Not enough compression, 9.2:1, on those motors to cause those kind of starter issues unless the starter is weak. I'd expect that starting at 10:1. But maybe HD uses weak starters since they have the CR?

Last edited by Jake911; 09-22-2016 at 05:41 PM.
Old 09-22-2016, 05:43 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,231 Likes on 3,611 Posts

Compression releases are not working and you have too much cranking timing.. Take that video to the dealer / service department.

Old 09-22-2016, 06:03 PM
sdlsaginaw
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Too much ignition advance at the bottom of the RPM map? I don't know if this is a tunable thing on these motors, but it sounds just like when I've advanced the dizzy too far on an older car motor I'm trying to start before setting the timing with a light.

Oops, I see this was already suggested...

Old 09-22-2016, 06:09 PM
Road Gliderman
Cruiser
Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Mine was doing the same it was the compression release if you had the bike tuned make sure this ACR's are turned on.

Quick Reply: Finally got my starting issue on video!