Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Air Cleaner to choose??

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 03:33 PM
aqua754
Cruiser
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Which Air Cleaner to choose??

I have de-Catted my stock header, purchased the FP3 and will be using the monster rounds and power duals map as per V&H (warned against auto tune with the stock de-catted pipe). I like the new deeper sound of the stock pipes so for now, they will stay. As for the A/C should I go with the V&H Naked, the Arlen Ness Big Sucker, K&N, or a Screaming Eagle set up. Looking to retain the stock cover as well. Need opinions or success stories.
Thanks!

Last edited by aqua754; 09-24-2016 at 11:24 PM.
Old 09-24-2016, 04:18 PM
GaJayhawk
Tourer
Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

I have a 2014 FLHTK with a RC Components PowerMax header and RCX slip-ons. I added the S&S Stealth Air Intake and a V&H FP3. The S&S enables you to keep the stock air cleaner cover. It provides a new backing plate that lets you get rid of the plastic housing on the engine side of the stock air cleaner.

I've run 15,000+ miles with since adding the S&S air cleaner, and have been very happy with the performance, and just as importantly, being able to keep the same look with the stock cover.

Old 09-24-2016, 07:09 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,858 Likes on 4,112 Posts

All heavy breather air cleaners will provide more air than the engine requires. Performance wise they all do the same thing; allow filtered air to enter the intake. Purchase based on looks.

The following users liked this post:
golfblues (12-08-2022)
Old 09-24-2016, 07:54 PM
talkingrock
Road Warrior
Received 421 Likes on 284 Posts

I use the A/N big sucker with stock cover on 2016 SGS its a easy install

Old 09-24-2016, 08:15 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,064 Posts

Flip a coin two or three times to make your decision. Any of the A/C elements will do the job.

Old 09-25-2016, 12:15 AM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 146 Posts

Looked at all the a/c you listed and went with a Crusher Street Sleeper III instead.

Old 09-25-2016, 06:54 AM
CJeep
Road Captain
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Lots of great air cleaners out there, for sure. Performance is about the same, as has been posted.

But, anyone switching over should real consider an AC that routes the crankcase breathers to a vent or catch can. DK Customs, and others, make kits that can be used with their ACs, or most other ones as well.

Wait until you see what is now NOT going directly into your throttle body.

While I already made my own breather bypass for the stock AC, this winter I will by the DK AC that lets me keep my stock Rushmore cover. It comes with the breather kit of your choice.

Old 09-25-2016, 07:13 AM
aaa1988
Road Master
Received 576 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by Bone Doc
All heavy breather air cleaners will provide more air than the engine requires. Performance wise they all do the same thing; allow filtered air to enter the intake. Purchase based on looks.
I first went with the Arlen Ness big sucker with V&H cover then switched to the RSD clarity line Air cleaner. There are a lot of options out there that will perform equally as well. Just get what style you like.

Attached Thumbnails Which Air Cleaner to choose??-photo580.jpg  
Old 09-25-2016, 07:29 AM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,524 Likes on 1,421 Posts

A/N Big Sucker for me, under the stock cover. Best bang for the buck. Uses their "Million Mile Filter", that looks just like K/N to me. Wash and oil. All insides are nice and smooth, easy swap. Eastern Performance cut the deal.
I had a Stage One setup at the Dealer before I took my bike new. Why would the MoCo use a white gauze air filter that they know will get some blow by oil on it, and stamp on it "Use No Oil"? When you wash those air filters and let them dry per the instruction, look thru it at a bright light - the gauze shifts, uneven media. Me not like that.
I recommend an oiled filter. Unbelievable how much pollen mine catches in the spring.
Think not just more - think BETTER, too.

Old 09-25-2016, 07:56 AM
RG Pilot
Road Warrior
Received 273 Likes on 202 Posts

I have headers and mufflers, FP3 and Screamin Eagle AC with a K&N filter using the stock cover. I decided to do the breather bypass and since I didn't like the noise that goes with an open AC and have read lots of posts about how free flowing the stock AC is, I put the stock AC back on and did the breather bypass myself. I like the lack of intake noise much better and feel no difference in power at all. I will change the filter element to a K&N for the stock AC.

Quick Reply: Which Air Cleaner to choose??