Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed the DK Custom Oil Filter Relocation on the Wide Glide...

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 09:34 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts
Default Installed the DK Custom Oil Filter Relocation on the Wide Glide...

Got the DK Custom oil filter relocation installed on the Wide Glide last Friday, took a bit of time to get it tweaked to my liking due to my +3" billet shift rod and having a Jagg thermostatic oil cooler adapter taking up additional space but it did turn out very nicely

The kit is very nicely made, the only issue I noted was the cast engine adapter had some nicks on the mating surface and the black finish used on the adapter had migrated to the mating surface leaving it very rough and bubbled but a few minutes with a fine file and some 1500 and 2000 wet/dry left a smooth polished flat surface to mate cleanly against the Jagg thermostatic adapter. It may have just been my specific engine adapter but run your finger on that mating surface to be certain it's smooth.

With the limited space I had I needed the 'In' and 'Out' fittings on the engine adapter in a specific position to clear the shift rod and have the hoses not contact each other. I fooled around trying to catch the threading on the Jagg adapter in different positions so the DK Custom engine adapter would snug up to the Jagg with the fittings where I needed them but the 'Out' fitting ALWAYS ended up at a 6 o'clock position; about the worst place it could be. I eventually used a long 7/8" wrench and reached in from between the downtubes and gently tightened the adapter further using the center 'In' brass fitting hoping the entire time I wasn't over-tightening and trashing the o-ring for the adapter. I did get the 'Out' fitting to an 8 o'clock position which would get me just enough clearance.

The billet oil filter mount was positioned directly under my upper clutch cable stand-off clamp; those clutch cable clamps made life much easier The downtube is 1 1/2" so no shims were required for the oil filter mount. I used Gates 400 PSI reinforced oil cooler hose and #16 fuel injection clamps to connect the engine adapter to the oil filter mount. Note, there is an 'In' and 'Out' on both the engine adapter and the billet oil filter mount!

Getting there, just before tweaking the engine adapter to reposition the 'Out' fitting...

Permanent oil filter mounted, hoses and clamps secure... Done!

Held my breath and started the bike, hoping the engine adapter had not been over-tightened; all good, no leaks anywhere. Oil pressure on the gauge showed no changes; a quick ride around the block and back to again check for leaks. All was well; took the bike out for a nice romp...

Afterthoughts: Most of the problems were of my own creation; running a +3" billet shift rod limited how I could route the hoses and the added thickness from the Jagg thermostatic oil cooler adapter placed the DK Custom adapter fittings more outboard limiting options further but the problems were not deal breakers.

This DK Custom oil filter relocation looks fantastic and should provide additional cooling while keeping contaminated engine oil off the front isolator during filter cleanings.

A very worthwhile mod and I highly recommend it. This is a Watson Approved™ upgrade!

The following 10 users liked this post by TinCupChalice:
0pini0nated (01-07-2017), cvaria (09-26-2016), DK Custom (09-28-2016), Hellbilly562 (09-28-2016), HKMark23 (12-03-2016), Jay Guild (10-26-2016), lh4x4 (09-27-2016), NC Rob (09-26-2016), randyp (09-28-2016), Whtwolf14 (09-28-2016) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-26-2016, 10:30 AM
scott504
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Great write up. I was looking at these last week while trying to visualize on my bike, thanks for the help with that. Should make oil changes a breeze. Pixiebob?

Old 09-26-2016, 10:57 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,246 Likes on 3,624 Posts

Looks good.. The only thing I don't like about the DK filter setup is they use multi barbed hose fittings. They are easily replaceable with single barb types..

I'd probably remove the Jagg thermostat housing and simply plumb the filter and cooler in series, filter first. I've not had good luck with the Jag thermostats. I had one flake out on me. On the 2 I have, I've yanked the thermostat and plugged the bypass. I live in so cal so thermostat is not needed. Most of my rides are over 100 miles..

If you are a short commuter might want to keep the thermostat but that filter is going to act like as an oil cooler too.

Old 09-26-2016, 11:30 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Originally Posted by scott504
Great write up. I was looking at these last week while trying to visualize on my bike, thanks for the help with that. Should make oil changes a breeze. Pixiebob?
The more I look at the oil filter relocated to the left downtube, the more I like it; looks trick sitting there! Removing and cleaning that permanent filter will be a simple clean process...

I think Watson is more Maine Coon than anything else. He's a rescue, like all my cats are. Found him in a field outside of town; clueless as to what had happened. He's the most gregarious lovable critter you could ever want; BUT... he's FIV positive, I can't bring him in. I've kept him separate from the other cats and fattened him up from 9 pounds to 15 pounds getting his health issues taken care of and trying to get him in to an FIV rescue. The reason I didn't post this review yesterday was I took him down to Battle Creek to a no kill FIV rescue; I'm really going to miss that big fuzzy dude; but I know he's safe

Originally Posted by bwoltz
Looks good.. The only thing I don't like about the DK filter setup is they use multi barbed hose fittings. They are easily replaceable with single barb types..

I'd probably remove the Jagg thermostat housing and simply plumb the filter and cooler in series, filter first. I've not had good luck with the Jag thermostats. I had one flake out on me. On the 2 I have, I've yanked the thermostat and plugged the bypass. I live in so cal so thermostat is not needed. Most of my rides are over 100 miles..

If you are a short commuter might want to keep the thermostat but that filter is going to act like as an oil cooler too.

I completely agree on the barbed hose fittings, I almost changed them out but figured this late in the season, let's try it out and mod it over the winter to something more to my liking. I call this Version 1.0; I like the idea of an oil filter relocation but I'm not completely happy with the plumbing quite yet.

I like the idea of the thermostatic adapter since I'll be riding right up until the roads ice over and on cold days the oil cooler isn't being used at all. Once I've moved back to Florida I will revisit deleting the thermostatic adapter...

Last edited by TinCupChalice; 09-26-2016 at 11:35 AM. Reason: ...added image...
Old 09-26-2016, 11:47 AM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

Looks good! I wonder if the two fittings on the engine adaptor could be replaced with 90's like the ones that are used in the frame mounted adaptor. Then one could avoid the possible issue you had with the shift linkage.

Old 09-26-2016, 01:01 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Beside easy access, what is the advantage? I am just curious.

Old 09-26-2016, 01:08 PM
NC Rob
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks very much for the write up, I was looking to get one of these myself. I was looking for an oil cooler and just got the DK email and I love their stuff. I will order this and one of those cool new 7 spoke ACs (that website is a wallet drain).

Glad you found a place for Watson. We have a Maine Coon as well. Loves people and greets them at the door like a dog. He is the king of the house (we have 4 other indoor rescues) and we aren't sure if he realizes he is a cat.

Old 09-26-2016, 03:43 PM
DK Custom Products
Sponsor
Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by 128auto
Beside easy access, what is the advantage? I am just curious.
By relocating the oil filter, the filter is out in the wind for better cooling, & it's easy to remove the filter w/ No Mess! No more oil compromising the front rubber motor mount,either. And,last but not least,the unit looks great,too.

Nice job on the installation,TC.

Clint

Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Last edited by DK Custom Products; 09-26-2016 at 03:47 PM.
Old 09-26-2016, 04:41 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,510 Likes on 2,133 Posts

Excellent. Love it, Tin. Definitly on my list of to-get's! Only thing is I think I may look into upgrading the fittings to AN hydraulic fittings/hoses. I really don't like barbs for critical fluid connections. But I'm just nuts, so don't pay attention to that.

The following users liked this post:
turbotom1052 (05-25-2020)
Old 09-26-2016, 04:47 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Nice write-up TinCup, I did one on my Road King and although I sold it before I had a chance to do an oil change, it was a great mod. Nice to meet another cat lover.

Quick Reply: Installed the DK Custom Oil Filter Relocation on the Wide Glide...