Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stop from bottoming out

Old 09-26-2016, 06:46 PM
rquest
Road Master
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts
Default stop from bottoming out

Anyone able to stop a Night Train or Soft Tail from bottoming out?

Old 09-26-2016, 06:50 PM
Wrenchy
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Adjust the pre-load of your shocks first then ride height if that doesn't help enough. Still not good enough, get stiffer springs or different shocks.

The following users liked this post:
BLACKFLST (09-26-2016)
Old 09-26-2016, 07:16 PM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 751 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by Wrenchy
Adjust the pre-load of your shocks first then ride height if that doesn't help enough. Still not good enough, get stiffer springs or different shocks.

It's amazing how many softail owners don't know how to adjust the shocks properly.
I was a member of that group until I finally figured it out.

Old 09-26-2016, 07:51 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,893 Likes on 3,008 Posts

Get a spanner wrench and turn BOTH shocks in the same amout (very important). There's a sticky on this somewhere.

Old 09-26-2016, 08:55 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

If you are riding 2 up or on the thick side of the Toledo. The dual shock adjustment is critical. When adjusted correctly you will not bottom out and you can increase cornering clearance. Forget counting turns etc. Loosen the lock nut while holding the shaft with a 9/16" open end wrench. Spray the threads with PB Blaster or WD 40 the night before. Turn the cans all the way forward and then to the rear about 1/4" from full forward. Visually line up the front edge of both cans. Tighten lock nuts while holding wedge cans with a wood block when tightening lock nut and ride it. It will gain you 1/2-3/4" of cornering clearance and will not bottom out. Handling will feel settled. If you are a light weight and solo, it may feel a bit stiff, but well worth the benefit.

Last edited by checkers; 09-26-2016 at 09:18 PM.
rquest (09-29-2016)
Old 09-27-2016, 01:14 AM
rquest
Road Master

Thanks guys, again this bike is new to me and I'm learning a lot in a very little time. I want to get it on the road and I noticed the old tire had a rub on it.

Old 09-28-2016, 01:25 AM
FLYING_BURRITO_BROTHER
NOT A MODERATOR
Received 20,398 Likes on 7,990 Posts

I'd have to remove my softailloweringkit to stop bottoming out...

Old 09-28-2016, 01:39 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,975 Posts

Originally Posted by rquest
Anyone able to stop a Night Train or Soft Tail from bottoming out?
Yes, I have a Springer and it doesn't bottom out at all, even when carrying extra weight. Adjust the rear suspension and see it that helps ya, worked for me.

Old 09-29-2016, 01:21 PM
rquest
Road Master

Originally Posted by checkers
If you are riding 2 up or on the thick side of the Toledo. The dual shock adjustment is critical. When adjusted correctly you will not bottom out and you can increase cornering clearance. Forget counting turns etc. Loosen the lock nut while holding the shaft with a 9/16" open end wrench. Spray the threads with PB Blaster or WD 40 the night before. Turn the cans all the way forward and then to the rear about 1/4" from full forward. Visually line up the front edge of both cans. Tighten lock nuts while holding wedge cans with a wood block when tightening lock nut and ride it. It will gain you 1/2-3/4" of cornering clearance and will not bottom out. Handling will feel settled. If you are a light weight and solo, it may feel a bit stiff, but well worth the benefit.
Thanks for the info, maybe you can elaborate on "Loosen the lock nut while holding the shaft with a 9/16" open end wrench. Turn the cans all the way forward and then to the rear "
Are you saying to move the shocks as far as you can towards the front of the bike? (what do you mean turn the cans?) and then how far back? Just a few turns each holding with a wood block?
I'm sure you gave me a perfectly good explanation but I'm haveing problems seeing it in my mind, LOL.

Attached Thumbnails stop from bottoming out-night-train-shock.jpg  

Last edited by rquest; 09-29-2016 at 01:30 PM.
Old 09-29-2016, 08:22 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

rquest, when you get under the bike it will make sense. It's been 4 yrs since I adjusted my Heritage. You likely wont need a spanner wrench. Spray the shaft of both shocks, you will see 2 large lock nuts tightened against each shock, I think they are 1"1/8" open end. Each shaft is notched for a 9/16" open end wrench. Hold the shaft with the 9/16 and loosen the 2 large nuts and screw them all the way to the front of each shaft, then turn the 2 shock "cans" forward against the large nuts making sure the front edges of the shock"cans" are equal at their front edge. You should be able to turn the "cans" forward by hand using a gripper glove. Hold the "cans" with a gripper glove or hold/pry a wood lever gently between cans to hold them while you tighten large nuts against the cans, done.

Last edited by checkers; 09-29-2016 at 08:26 PM.
rquest (09-29-2016)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: stop from bottoming out