Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This noise normal?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 07:33 PM
Torpedo1
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Default This noise normal?

Owned an Iron before my Street Bob, and I know those engines have a real loud sewing machine sound . Never really minded the sound, but when I got the Bob, I noticed I never really heard any engine noise, just the exhaust.

Recently took it on a 6 hour trip - 3 hours in, I stopped and ate lunch. After that, I noticed a tapping sound all of a sudden, enough so that I pulled over to check my oil. Ever since, now I hear this tapping noise.

If it started since I had the bike I wouldn't be concerned, but it came out of nowhere. Got about 2000 miles on it.

Heres a video - is this a "why are you even posting this video it sounds like normal engine noise, idiot" scenario or something I should be concerned about?

https://youtu.be/UzWQWENNu7k

Old 09-27-2016, 07:39 PM
Maxxsmart
Road Master
Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

Sounds like the usual top end sewing machine sound. There's a product called (I think) Rocker Locker that apparently takes care of that, but you have to open up the rocker covers. Experimenting with different oils might cure it as well. Mine was all kinds of noisy with Syn3, but it seemed to quiet down when I switched to Mobil 1 V-Twin 20-50.

Old 09-27-2016, 07:50 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,628 Likes on 1,176 Posts

Have a look around my website (in my signature below), you might find it interesting

Also... https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...l#post15530252
__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click the LINKS below...

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Old 09-27-2016, 09:06 PM
Torpedo1
Tourer

Hmph, pretty neat. I wonder what brings the noise on all of a sudden though. The holes would have been the same size from the start, no?

Old 09-27-2016, 09:11 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor

Originally Posted by Torpedo1
Hmph, pretty neat. I wonder what brings the noise on all of a sudden though. The holes would have been the same size from the start, no?
The noise in my own bike was the same way, just appeared one day. I suspect the shaft rocking starts minimally & gets worse over time... once the aluminum rocker supports get even a little wear from the motion it's down hill from there.

Old 09-27-2016, 09:25 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

Are you using Mobile 1 vTwin or Amsoil synthetic oil? If you are you can quiet the motor by running Dino oil or a "thicker" synthetic oil. Are you running with a windshield?

Old 09-27-2016, 09:52 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor

Originally Posted by checkers
Are you using Mobile 1 vTwin or Amsoil synthetic oil? If you are you can quiet the motor by running Dino oil or a "thicker" synthetic oil. Are you running with a windshield?
This is very true. My own choice is Spectro 25-60 dino oil, best I've found for engine noise.... Mobil 1 V-Twin 20-50 is the worst IMO.

Old 09-28-2016, 06:19 AM
Maxxsmart
Road Master
Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by ROCKOUT Rocker Products
This is very true. My own choice is Spectro 25-60 dino oil, best I've found for engine noise.... Mobil 1 V-Twin 20-50 is the worst IMO.

Interesting... I have read this in other places, but my top end got significantly more quiet when I switched from Syn 3 to Mobil 1.

Old 09-28-2016, 05:07 PM
Torpedo1
Tourer

Originally Posted by checkers
To be honest, the dealer did my 1000 mile service and didn't tell me what weight they used, but i know it's regular oil and not synthetic. I did take my trip about 300 miles after that service when I started hearing the tapping.

No windshield for me either. Knowing what the sound actually is doesn't bother me too much now, the engine noise on the Sportster was way louder and that didn't bother me either.

Just bothered me not knowing what it was or if it was causing any kind of damage since it came on suddenly. I'll most likely pick up the Rockouts for a scenario when my rockers would be serviced anyway versus going out of my way to disassemble everything just to fix the noise. I don't have a motorcycle jack or torque wrench at the moment. (Anyone know what service interval it would make sense to install it, or if a dealer would even be willing?)

This thread has been real helpful though, appreciate the comments.

Old 09-28-2016, 05:35 PM
emperor wurm
Road Warrior
Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

I just switched from Mobil 1 to amsoil, the amsoil makes the tick noticeable louder.

Quick Reply: This noise normal?