Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 07:08 AM
CVORoadKing2013
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Dilemma

Wife and I were In NY for Catskill Mountain Thunder. On Friday Sept 16 we were heading to Lake George for the afternoon. We were heading south on SR9 and the next thing I remember I was being loaded on to a Helicopter and being flown to Albany.

Long Story short it looks pretty good that the bike is going to be totaled. Frame is bent where the right foot board attaches. Dealer said all plastics and most metal needs replaced as well.

On to the dilemma

To look for a good deal on a 16 or go with the new M8. I know there is talk of a new frame in 18 but I really do not want to wait until next fall for a new bike. I will probably wait unit spring before buying anything.

Old 09-28-2016, 07:13 AM
jamala00
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5,220 Likes on 2,574 Posts

If you are going to regret not upgrading to the new M8 for a good deal on a '16 life is to short, upgrade to the M8. Wait for a new frame, then wait for the next thing, then the next, well you get my drift...

But.... what the hell happened, you kind of glanced over all that? Glad you both are OK and take all the time to heal first. You will have time to get the bike when the healing is done!

Last edited by jamala00; 09-28-2016 at 07:26 PM.
Old 09-28-2016, 07:36 AM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,504 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Dude, sorry to hear about your mishap. You didn't mention the missus, hope all is well.

Yes, a dilemma indeed. It doesn't look like too many issues with the new motor, so that's a plus. You already know the '16s are good and can get a good deal, if they're still around when you make that decision.

Me, I would go for a '16 then trade in a couple or three years. By then, everything will be out of beta testing.

Old 09-28-2016, 07:41 AM
CVORoadKing2013
Tourer

The misses is recovering ended up with a broken leg. She cant work and is still having a good deal of pain.

I was not as lucky I have fractures in my neck and broke my jaw in 2 places( jaw wired shut) . I had several doctors working for hours to stitch my face. We have a long road to recovery.

I do not remember anything.

Told a women pulled into a driveway they back out right into us. Speed limit was 35. Still waiting on the police report to fill in the details.

Old 09-28-2016, 07:49 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

You should concentrate on you and your wife's rehabilitation. I had back surgery in 1994, and rehab is critical toward avoiding pain in the future.

I would highly recommend getting a small hot tub. Nothing fancy. Sitting in that hot water is great for arthritic joints.

I don't know much about the new bikes, so can't help you there. Good luck on your recovery. Did you get the services of a motorcycle injury lawyer? You should.

Old 09-28-2016, 07:57 AM
CVORoadKing2013
Tourer

Yes recovery is first and foremost. The bike stuff is just giving me something to think about and keep my mind active.

Got a Lawyer as soon as I got home. I am not going to try and navigate this mess on my own.

Old 09-28-2016, 11:27 AM
heavypic
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Best wishes for a speedy recovery for you and your lady...

Old 09-28-2016, 11:41 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by CVORoadKing2013
On to the dilemma

To look for a good deal on a 16 or go with the new M8. I know there is talk of a new frame in 18 but I really do not want to wait until next fall for a new bike. I will probably wait unit spring before buying anything.
That's not a dilemma! Sounds as if you have a little time to dwell on what to do bike wise, while you and Mrs C recover. Very best wishes to both of you, in the meantime just keep in touch and browse the bike press, H-D website, etc. Relax man.....

Old 09-28-2016, 11:57 AM
Bodacious MC
Road Master
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts

Wow.....best wishes to both of you for a speedy recovery. Things happen fast and can go wrong even at slow speeds, scary!

Old 09-28-2016, 12:17 PM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts

The car frigging backed right out in front of you!/OUCH!!!

So sorry to hear you had an accident but am glad you and your wife made it thought it alive though have some serious injuries to recover from & hope your pain is least as possible for a short time only!

On the bike,may be a good idea to go for good deal in the 16 and trade in 2-3yrs down the road .

I suggest that because there could be some design/beta issues to work out on the new M8 we & or HD isn't aware of yet that you don't want to be involved in.

BTW,I was just riding in the same area last wk.

May both of you have speedy healing with least amount of pain possible & also have fun looking at and researching a new bike too.

Scott

Quick Reply: Dilemma