Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter Storage - Pros/Cons

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 05:59 AM
HeyJohn
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter Storage - Pros/Cons

So I just got my 2009 Electra Glide with 30K on it last week. Want to take good care of it and make it last (and maximize the value when I trade it in). What are the pros and cons of dealer winter storage vs. under a cover in my garage. My dealer has free storage this year. I have to provide a full tank with stabil and a battery tender which I would do at home in my non-heated northern Illinois garage. Thanks for any input.

Old 09-29-2016, 06:13 AM
jamala00
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5,220 Likes on 2,574 Posts

I've stored all my bikes in my non-heated WI winter garage. I put it on the cycle stand and get the rubber up off the cement. I like to have "winter projects" with my bike. Last year I had my inner batwing fairing color match painted. Can't do that when the bike is somewhere else. This year I am doing front suspension.

Old 09-29-2016, 06:52 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

I've been riding bikes for almost 50 years and have never made a fuss of them through the winter. I use battery tenders (I have several bikes) as my only concession and have never had any problems.

Old 09-29-2016, 06:57 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 69,880 Likes on 21,305 Posts

Originally Posted by bojjo1283@yahoo.com
So I just got my 2009 Electra Glide with 30K on it last week. Want to take good care of it and make it last (and maximize the value when I trade it in). What are the pros and cons of dealer winter storage vs. under a cover in my garage. My dealer has free storage this year. I have to provide a full tank with stabil and a battery tender which I would do at home in my non-heated northern Illinois garage. Thanks for any input.
This is good enough and what the majority of us have as well.
If you didn't have a garage then I would say yes, but since you do leave it at home. Where I live we can usually (not always) ride 1-2 days a month even in the bad winter months.

Congrats on the new ride too!!

Old 09-29-2016, 06:59 AM
T Man
Road Captain
Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts

I would never store my bike away from my own home unless I absolutely had to. I have a heated garage now, but in the past I have stored many bikes in unheated garages. Same deal as others, full tank of fuel with stabilizer (I use SeaFoam), and battery tender. A couple of times over the winter on a warmer day I will fire it up for 10 minutes just to get things moving.

Old 09-29-2016, 07:04 AM
From_Behind
Club Member

Received 893 Likes on 513 Posts

Keep it at home - you can ride it when conditions permit, and it's ready to go when YOU are, and not when the dealership is.

Old 09-29-2016, 07:04 AM
valpal
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I too have several bikes that, typically, will stand for longer periods (4-8+) weeks during the cold season. I can't put them anywhere else but in the large shared garage that will get quite cold during winter time as it is "open" due to ventilation requirements. I do have the bikes (with the battery connected) on battery tenders. This saved my Honda last winter...

What I have noticed is that apparently the tires are not too happy when having been in the same position for such long periods. They clearly are no longer entirely round, at least initially when moving them. That can't be good.

With my RGU I'm now contemplating to put her on my lift or even use the lift for the FLD and put the RGU at least on the eazyup center stand (which I yet have to install).

The latter issue will most likely not be dealt with when you have the bike stored at the dealer as I cannot imagine them putting every single bike on a stand to get the rubber off the ground. So I see no benefit of storing the bike with the dealer - unless of course one does not have any cover at all at their home. But you have a garage. So why bother with putting the bike some other place where it's out of your sight?

Old 09-29-2016, 07:12 AM
valpal
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by T Man
full tank of fuel with stabilizer
What's the idea with the full tank? I can see how a practically empty tank could be an issue, but why full? And what does the stabilizer really prevent during a period of some 3 months? Will fuel really degrade in such a way that it could cause issues?

Pre-submission-edit: Ok, https://seafoamsales.com/sea-foam-motor-treatment/ lists a couple of things, among others the control of moisture in the fuel.
I'm now wondering if the "stabilizer" doesn't destabilize itself over such a period and should rather be added shortly before riding season... Anyway, my main question is: why a full tank?

I guess one could also say that tires should maybe be slightly overinflated, especially when not off the ground?

Old 09-29-2016, 07:18 AM
electricstart
Road Warrior
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I live in north NJ . I store my bikes for many years in unheated garage all winter and never had a problem . I picked up a couple of 4x6 rubber mat from tractor supply for the floor that the Bike sits on . Battery always on tender and use Startron in gas . I try to ride until December and if no salt on roads will ride all winter unless below 20 F. The bike has set for 3 plus months with no problem . Sometimes I do cover because I am in and out of garage usually to get snow blower and shovels . The only con is you cannot ride .

Old 09-29-2016, 07:18 AM
T Man
Road Captain
Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts

Having a full tank prevents condensation from forming and therefore prevents water from getting in your fuel tank. There are many stabilizers that will work just fine, I use Sea Foam just as a preference, and because it has been on the market for a very long time and remains a popular choice. I've never changed my tire pressure, nor raised my bike off the ground for storage, and I've never had any sort of tire distortion. That's just my experience though.

The following users liked this post:
valpal (09-29-2016)

Quick Reply: Winter Storage - Pros/Cons