Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stopping Power On FXDB

Old 09-29-2016, 01:12 PM
Fireguy88
Road Master
Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Stopping Power On FXDB

I'd like to do something to increase the stopping power on my '15 Street Bob. It really isn't a problem for me but I have noticed a huge difference when riding 2 up. I know a lot of people have done a conversion to a duel disk setup but think it's out of my price range. Can anyone recommend better pads than OEM? Or would that really not make much of a difference? How about using a larger rotor? I intend to get mag wheels some day but don't think changing wheels of the same size down the road will cause fitment issues as far as rotor size is concerned. I could be wrong.
Thank you as always!

Last edited by Fireguy88; 09-29-2016 at 01:15 PM.
Old 09-29-2016, 01:32 PM
veritas.archangel
Road Warrior
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Go with EBC Sintered pads. Much better than stock.

A larger rotor will require new caliper brackets. So for that money you could probably come up with a used right fork leg from a LowRider as well as used stock rotor, caliper and master cylinder. The front wheel on the Street Bob is already set up to accept a rotor on that side. It's actually a fairly easy and inexpensive job to get a dual rotor setup on your bike.

The following users liked this post:
Fireguy88 (09-30-2016)
Old 09-29-2016, 01:41 PM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts

The first thing to understand is 'stopping power' isn't a single magic bullet but rather an upgrade of several things. Even the stock rotor and brake pads can completely lock up the front so the 'power' is there, it's a matter of gaining additional control over your braking.

Stopping effectively comes down to your tire contact patch; you need to be able to apply maximum braking but still keep the wheels rotating; kinetic friction is much more effective and will stop you more rapidly than the static friction of a sliding tire.

Look to upgrading your tires, the OEM's are not exactly tier 1 tires, I could break them loose rather easily when practicing threshold braking. Myself and many others have moved to Pirelli Night Dragons. The difference between the Night Dragons and the OEM tires is very apparent and I was able to more effectively modulate the front brake and decrease my stopping distances.

I'm running the Arlen Ness Big Brake rotor and Lyndall brake pads. My threshold braking distances decreased further with those upgrades. Also look to your front suspension; the stock setup is wildly under-sprung and I was able to easily bottom it out when practicing braking before moving to Progressive Heavy springs. Now the front is firm and planted under heavy braking, not bouncing up and down and that translated in to even more control.

The last part of improving your 'stopping power' is to upgrade you. Practice your maximum braking, ABS or not. Know how it feels when the bike is nearing that point of breaking the front loose; ABS, if you have it is a rider aid, it cannot replace rider skills. When you practice heavy/maximum braking you'll develop the confidence to truly use the front and rear brakes effectively and it's that confidence along with a few upgrades that will truly give you the control over your braking...

The following 4 users liked this post by TinCupChalice:
blueangel73 (10-01-2016), Capt Steve (12-18-2016), Fireguy88 (09-30-2016), Whtwolf14 (10-01-2016)
Old 09-29-2016, 02:29 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,725 Posts

I agree with Tincup. My 883 had pathetic braking when I got it, put EBC pads on the front (none of the pads were worn much at that point) and forgot about dual disks, with good pads, the single worked fine. Shortly after I got tired of the rear end breaking loose so easy on corners and put on Avon Venom tires, and got another improvement in stopping and all around handling. When I got my 1200, did the pads and tires right away; they were quite worn anyway. I'm in the long process of rebuilding my Tour Glide, and it's going back together with Lyndall Gold pads and Avon Cobra tires. From posts on this forum, sounds like almost anything other than Dunlop/Harley 400 series tires handle better. If you ever get to ride something with Brembo calipers, you'll realize calipers can make a noticeable difference, too, but then you're spending a lot more money; pads can make a big difference for the least money.

Fireguy88 (09-30-2016)
Old 09-29-2016, 05:46 PM
mirrmu
Road Warrior
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

i recently put some EBC Double H sintered in rear of my wide glide and the improvement is very noticeable, going to do the front soon

Fireguy88 (09-30-2016)
Old 09-29-2016, 06:01 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts

Of course the helpful folks here have put in as much as needed to be said. I too didn't have the funds for the duals.

With the advice of Tin and Cvaria and others I similarly chose the Arlen Ness rotor kit at about $300 plus new Lyndal Pads which I think were about $30/pr. Phat Tire has good pricing, free shipping, etc. Very noticeable change in stopping. So much so that my skillset required "updating" as well!

Fireguy88 (09-30-2016)
Old 09-29-2016, 06:06 PM
james1
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also a big fan of the EBC HH pads. I run them on all three bikes.

You can swap out to a Brembo caliper & M/C from the baggers pretty easy as well. I've got a layout of the adapter that needs made if you have access to a buddy who can machine a little aluminum. I'd share that for free.

Not sure if anyone has done it but there are different bore diameters on the different master cylinders. I have a feeling that swapping out to one size smaller would give the front brake a major boost in perceived power due to the benefit on leverage.

Fireguy88 (09-30-2016)
Old 09-29-2016, 06:08 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Lyndall Z pads and DNA polished SS rotor. More than enough braking.

Fireguy88 (09-30-2016)
Old 09-29-2016, 06:16 PM
Ghost_13
Grand HDF Member
Received 6,904 Likes on 2,893 Posts

Only thing I'd add to TC's post - good brake fluid

Meaning replace every year - it does get contaminated.., and absorbs moisture

Never tried Lyndall - always used EBCs

Ghost

Fireguy88 (09-30-2016)
Old 09-30-2016, 07:37 PM
Fireguy88
Road Master
Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by robbyville
Of course the helpful folks here have put in as much as needed to be said. I too didn't have the funds for the duals.

With the advice of Tin and Cvaria and others I similarly chose the Arlen Ness rotor kit at about $300 plus new Lyndal Pads which I think were about $30/pr. Phat Tire has good pricing, free shipping, etc....
Could you post a link Rob? Thanks!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stopping Power On FXDB