Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil issues remain

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 05:56 PM
Bowhunter8607
Road Warrior
Received 417 Likes on 322 Posts
Default Oil issues remain

So had my bike in the shop for over 5 months due to oil building up and dumping out of the rear breather. The top end was sent back to Zipper's Performance so they could investigate the problem and come up with a solution. Well I got the bike back from the shop with newly honed cylinders and new pistons along with other modifications to fix the issue and increase the performance at high altitude operation for where I live.

Once the engine break in period was complete I opened it up to see what she has and to my dismay, oil dumped out of the rear breather again just as before. It dumped all over the side of the engine case ans on the exhaust. The same issue remains even after dozens of tests performed by Zipper's to find the cause of the issue and fix it. They thought they had solved the problem but it turns out they did not.

What do I do now? What would you guys do? This kit has been back to Zipper's 2 times now and has been torn down by the shop 3 times to fix issues. I am at my wits end here! I have had nothing but problems with this kit from the start and they continue to exist.

Old 10-18-2016, 06:26 PM
Guzzi
Road Warrior
Received 105 Likes on 98 Posts

Is it possible to convert it down to a 1250? If so ask Zipper for a refund or just take your loss and move on. No easy answer on this one.

Old 10-18-2016, 06:28 PM
drinktothat421
Road Master
Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

hammer performance, or go back to stock, and or add cams.

Old 10-18-2016, 08:37 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

stock it out, send zippers their goods back, sell the 48.... fat bob

The following users liked this post:
drinktothat421 (10-20-2016)
Old 10-18-2016, 09:15 PM
Bowhunter8607
Road Warrior

Yeah at this point I am fet up with this kit not working right. We will see what Zipper's has to say about it when they get back to me again.

Old 10-19-2016, 07:42 AM
Kenny94945
Stellar HDF Member
Received 329 Likes on 287 Posts

I believe you had two threads on this saga and I read both.
This being a third thread I recall a few months ago the issue was solved.

Maybe as referred to above....best option...return to stock...get refund...buy another bike.

(Since no one can find something obvious...maybe it is somewhat unobvious, such as a cracked head, casting etc. Yet the pros are failing to find it.)

So maybe cut your losses and move on is best for your quality of life.

Good luck. Just a terrible story, yet many have similar stories when modifying motors (cars and bikes) so you are not alone.

Old 10-19-2016, 08:53 AM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,661 Likes on 934 Posts

Or sell you house and move to sea level. Sorry, j/k.

Old 10-19-2016, 11:34 AM
Bowhunter8607
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by guitarfish
Or sell you house and move to sea level. Sorry, j/k.
Haha at this point I may have to sell my house just to be able to fix the bike. Im not sure that the altitude has much if anything to do with the oil being forced out of the rear breather but I don't know. All I do know is that this is a nightmare that won't go away!

Old 10-19-2016, 05:42 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,930 Likes on 2,288 Posts

Man, I am sorry to read what you are going thru.

I followed your thread from months ago...then had not read anything and thought you must have had it straightened out.

I concur, partially, with cvaria. Have Zippers pay to have it put back to stock. Get your $ back for their kit that they can't make work. Then decide if you want to sell the bike and start fresh with another bike, or start over with that bike, with a more proven upgrade.

I know you'll still be out $ and a ton of frustration, but it seems never-ending...seems better to start fresh.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 10-19-2016, 07:55 PM
Bowhunter8607
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by DK Custom
Man, I am sorry to read what you are going thru.

I followed your thread from months ago...then had not read anything and thought you must have had it straightened out.

I concur, partially, with cvaria. Have Zippers pay to have it put back to stock. Get your $ back for their kit that they can't make work. Then decide if you want to sell the bike and start fresh with another bike, or start over with that bike, with a more proven upgrade.

I know you'll still be out $ and a ton of frustration, but it seems never-ending...seems better to start fresh.
I've started the conversation already and have had a couple of reaponses from Zipper's telling me to run simple tests and checks. I did what they wanted and asked what was gonna be done. Have mot heard back yet. Im gonna run it by them and see what they say about returning it back to stock and refunding me the money for the kit. I doubt they will want to refund the labor cost of install as well but this is just ridiculous already. They thought they had it nailed after their engineers did their tests and checks on the engine but I guess this is a very elusive problem.

I just want my bike to ve enjoyable again. I guess that's why they say if it aint broke don't fix it. I learned that lesson the very hard and expensive way that's for sure.

Of course the dealership that did the work is more than willing to trade me onto another bike but I just cant afford to have another payment and I know they won't give me crap in trade value on my 48. Im kinda stuck here if Zipper's refuses to fix it or return it back to stock and refund the kit.

Last edited by Bowhunter8607; 10-19-2016 at 07:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Oil issues remain