Sponsored by:

Sena Freewire coming next week

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 08:35 PM
striper.seeker
Tourer

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Sena Freewire coming next week

Just found out the new Sena Freewire device that allows full use of the Sena bluetooth headsets with the BOOM! audio (talk as well as hear). It's expensive - $250.00. I have some questions about it though.
The Sena bluetooth headsets already can communicate without anything else with up to eight other sets. If I have one freewire as the driver, and I can use the CB, VOX commands, phone talk, etc., can I still talk to the passenger with Sena proprietary comms or do they need the Freewire too? That's $500 for two sets, on top of the $250 the Sena 20s costs. That's expensive. I hate the wires, really I do. But....
Thoughts?

Thanks

Old 10-19-2016, 09:28 PM
PeteF
Road Captain
Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

I have a pair of Sena SMH10s. Sena uses a universal intercom protocol and I've paired with a non Sena device before and both worked fine for communicating with each other. I'd say you should have no issues talking Sena to Sena as long as the Freewire utilizes the universal intercom protocol.

Old 10-19-2016, 09:53 PM
Sailrider 1
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Don't believe the hype about communications with up to eight other sets. I have 4 sets of the Sena 20s. You can pair three of them together and generally talk amongst all three without too many problems. You do occasionally get one or the other dropping out or there is so much background noise you turn one off. We have never been able to get all four connected simultaneously. I would think getting eight all paired together and working for any length of time would be near impossible. We love the 20S, don't get me wrong but their claims of up to eight connected may work in a lab but not in the real world.

Old 10-20-2016, 12:24 AM
Gone Bush
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I use the Sena 10R, the low profile model, and can easily get it to pair with 3 others making a total of 4 people on the network.

That's the maximum it can do and the phone connection is dropped when we have 4 people linked.

Old 10-20-2016, 08:04 AM
mcouture
Road Captain
Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

SMH10 here - I've had 4 people in conference on occasion with no ill effects.

I'm interested in seeing how the Freewire works - I'm the only one in the group that has a Rushmore. I really would like to have access to the Infotainment system from my Sena. It would really be great for the long trips....

Old 10-20-2016, 06:47 PM
Harleyrlb
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by striper.seeker
Just found out the new Sena Freewire device that allows full use of the Sena bluetooth headsets with the BOOM! audio (talk as well as hear). It's expensive - $250.00. I have some questions about it though.
The Sena bluetooth headsets already can communicate without anything else with up to eight other sets. If I have one freewire as the driver, and I can use the CB, VOX commands, phone talk, etc., can I still talk to the passenger with Sena proprietary comms or do they need the Freewire too? That's $500 for two sets, on top of the $250 the Sena 20s costs. That's expensive. I hate the wires, really I do. But....
Thoughts?

Thanks
You need 2 Freewires if you want to use the bike intercom. The Sena 20s intercom is excellent. Besides the price of the Freewire you also have to purchase the cord to connect the Freewire to the Harley 7-pin. Buying one unit and the cord is going to run between $280 to $300. Add to the cost of a 20s and you have a lot of money invested for one person. I think Sena has overpriced the Freewire. You can buy the Sena 20s Harley helmet clamp kit and connecting cord for about $150. You can do the same thing a Freewire does. You just deal with the cord which by the way is a lot shorter than the Harley headset cords and isn't that bad using it. You can also use the clamp kit with or without a 20s.

Old 10-20-2016, 07:36 PM
striper.seeker
Tourer

Originally Posted by Harleyrlb
You need 2 Freewires if you want to use the bike intercom. The Sena 20s intercom is excellent. Besides the price of the Freewire you also have to purchase the cord to connect the Freewire to the Harley 7-pin. Buying one unit and the cord is going to run between $280 to $300. Add to the cost of a 20s and you have a lot of money invested for one person. I think Sena has overpriced the Freewire. You can buy the Sena 20s Harley helmet clamp kit and connecting cord for about $150. You can do the same thing a Freewire does. You just deal with the cord which by the way is a lot shorter than the Harley headset cords and isn't that bad using it. You can also use the clamp kit with or without a 20s.
The price I was quoted at $250 included the cable. (not a big savings thou).

Can you explain what you mean about using the clamp kit and connecting cord and do the same thing as the Freewire? You can talk through the BOOM! using the wire ? Why have bluetooth then? I'm confused. I have a wire now and can talk to the BOOM! and have everything work. (VOX, voice commands, intercom, etc.). Bluetooth only receives from the BOOM!. If I used the wire to talk back to the BOOM!, I don't need the blue tooth.

Old 10-20-2016, 07:59 PM
Harleyrlb
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The difference is the Freewire adds at least $100 to get rid of the cord between helmet and boom system. I got the Sena Harley helmet clamp kit and a 20s. I wanted that set up to use the 20s for bike to bike intercom with other Sena Bluetooth headsets. With boom only you have no bike to bike except by CB only. So the difference between using the Freewire is no helmet cord to 7-pin. The only cord is the one connecting the Freewire. You just have to determine what your use is going to be.

Old 10-21-2016, 08:44 AM
86cj7
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good morning all,
Looking at Sena's Web site it is now available. The question I have if anyone can answer this will it only work with the infotaiment or will it work with pre Rushmore as long as you have the 7 pin connectors? Second and I guess this will be a guessing game until someone actually has one and tries it will it only work with the 20S headset?
thanks, Rod

Old 10-21-2016, 09:03 AM
striper.seeker
Tourer

Originally Posted by 86cj7
Good morning all,
Looking at Sena's Web site it is now available. The question I have if anyone can answer this will it only work with the infotaiment or will it work with pre Rushmore as long as you have the 7 pin connectors? Second and I guess this will be a guessing game until someone actually has one and tries it will it only work with the 20S headset?
thanks, Rod

I asked Sena about the 20S and they said it is initially designed and tested with the 20S, but should work with their more recent models (10s, etc.). They are working on updates for all their models to support the Freewire.

I can't speak to your other question, but I could guess that as long as the pin outs are the same and control the same functions it should work. But I've been known to be wrong occasionally..lol

The following users liked this post:
86cj7 (10-21-2016)

Quick Reply: Sena Freewire coming next week