Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Used Boom stage 1 speakers and amp kit, good deal?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 11:33 PM
ericj205
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Used Boom stage 1 speakers and amp kit, good deal?

Need some advice from you Audiophiles:

a friend of mine just upgraded his Rushmore road glide to Rockford Fosgate. He offered to sell me his Boom kit with qty 2 stage 1 fairing speakers, qty 1 amp with mounting brackets and wiring harness for $200.

Will these speakers work in my 2014 FLHX? Will they mount in place of my stock SGS speakers or will I need some sort of adapter or different mounting bracket? Will the same amp brackets from his RG work on my FLHXS? If not does Harley sell the proper bracket? I already know I would need the SGS style speaker grilles. Can I buy those separate? My dealer said he would flash the boom radio at no charge. Am I missing anything?

Is this a good deal or should I consider something else?

Old 10-22-2016, 06:40 AM
tesnevo
Club Member
Received 93 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by ericj205
Need some advice from you Audiophiles:

a friend of mine just upgraded his Rushmore road glide to Rockford Fosgate. He offered to sell me his Boom kit with qty 2 stage 1 fairing speakers, qty 1 amp with mounting brackets and wiring harness for $200.

Will these speakers work in my 2014 FLHX? Will they mount in place of my stock SGS speakers or will I need some sort of adapter or different mounting bracket? Will the same amp brackets from his RG work on my FLHXS? If not does Harley sell the proper bracket? I already know I would need the SGS style speaker grilles. Can I buy those separate? My dealer said he would flash the boom radio at no charge. Am I missing anything?

Is this a good deal or should I consider something else?

I like your spirit. I'm going to forewarn you, this may get chaotic.....
Go through the many post in the audio section and read up, the read some more.
#1. There is absolutely NO COST worth the Harley boom audio. NONE!! Run away from that!!
#2. Figure out what you want, end result, then Come back and post that. Plenty of folks here will be more than willing to help. Are you just wanting noise, good sq at typical speed, etc. What is your ultimate goal with the audio?
#3. Budget? For the 200 your friend was wanting to sell you that Boom junk (friends don't sell friends Boom audio, just saying) you can add about 200-300 more and do what the boom audio will NEVER come close to.

If you have a little patience and answer the few things above, like I said , plenty of folks here will get you more than taken care of.

The following users liked this post:
Gannicus (10-22-2016)
Old 10-22-2016, 07:59 AM
yooperhog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by tesnevo
I like your spirit. I'm going to forewarn you, this may get chaotic.....
Go through the many post in the audio section and read up, the read some more.
#1. There is absolutely NO COST worth the Harley boom audio. NONE!! Run away from that!!
#2. Figure out what you want, end result, then Come back and post that. Plenty of folks here will be more than willing to help. Are you just wanting noise, good sq at typical speed, etc. What is your ultimate goal with the audio?
#3. Budget? For the 200 your friend was wanting to sell you that Boom junk (friends don't sell friends Boom audio, just saying) you can add about 200-300 more and do what the boom audio will NEVER come close to.

If you have a little patience and answer the few things above, like I said , plenty of folks here will get you more than taken care of.
^^^^agreed^^^^

there is a damn good reason your buddy is getting rid of his boom audio.

Old 10-22-2016, 08:39 AM
ericj205
Cruiser
Default End result I am trying to achieve

i am basically looking for an improvement in volume and sound quality. May be wishful thinking but I would like to be able to hear clearly with a full face on at 75/80 mph. I would also like better quality sound when wearing a half helmet at 50-60 mph cruising speeds and lower in the warm months. I really don't want to spend more than $400 plus or minus. It would be nice if I could expand the system with speaker lids in the future. Lastly, I would like to retain the Factory radio/nav.

Thoughts?

Old 10-22-2016, 08:45 AM
ericj205
Cruiser

Forgot, I plan to do this upgrade myself like everything I do. I am pretty capable in both mechanical and electrical work. However, I usually change out bikes every 2-3 years So I don't want to make any permanent modifications to the bike (like cutting on the fairing). I would plan on taking the sound system off and transferring to my next touring toy and returning the bike to stock before selling.

Old 10-22-2016, 09:03 AM
yooperhog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 161 Posts

im sure the rushmore guys will chime in with a list of what u need such as line levelers and plug n play harness from biketronics

Old 10-22-2016, 11:31 AM
Springerfan
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

The BT line levelers are available with the proper connectors to plug directly into the Rushmore connectors . The rest of the speaker and amp connections and cables are available from other sources. I have added 2 amps, lids, inside bags and fairing speakers and have not cut a single connection. All of it can be removed and stock system can be replaced and no one would ever know. The expert advice on this forum has helped me every step of the way . SF

Old 10-22-2016, 04:25 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

Tesnevo is spot on!! Be money ahead to follow his advice. I couldn't have said it better myself. Good stuff T!!

Old 10-22-2016, 06:01 PM
tesnevo
Club Member
Received 93 Likes on 77 Posts

Seeing as you have a flhx your only going to need 1 biketronics line leveler. You can get the wire in style, not the one with the connector.
The speaker wires going to the front speakers are what will go into the line leveler. The LL converts it to RCA out. That I turn will go to Pam then wire to speakers.
LL Is about 50ish on their website. There are many setups you can go with from that point. My other suggestion is get a hold of (private message as he's always online it seems, lol) Cameron from Badazzbikes (vendor here) and tell him what your wanting audio wise and budget wise. He will do you right!!
FWIW, I just did a friends bike with a Kenwood kac m3004 bridged to a set of hertz hcx 165 for about 400.00. It sounded great!! But again there are multitudes of options.

Old 10-22-2016, 07:06 PM
Springerfan
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

The OP said that he didn't want to make any permanent modifications which is why I recommended the LL with the connector. He can plug it right in with no wire cutting.

Quick Reply: Used Boom stage 1 speakers and amp kit, good deal?