General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil change kits

Old 10-27-2016, 11:58 AM
Cblake1
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil change kits

Hey everyone. Was just wondering if I could get some recommendations for an entire oil change kit for my 2009 fat bob. I've seen many out there and I believe the manual recommends HD branded oil but I haven't seen a kit that HD sells. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Chris

Old 10-27-2016, 12:21 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,726 Posts

You'll probably get oil and a filter a lot cheaper buying it separately. I'd guess from posts here that most folks use synthetic, like I do, and you can get Mobil 1 on sale at a number of places (even Walmart), Amsoil and others on line cheaper than you usually can locally. Filters... you can often get your favorite brand at an auto parts store. I use Wix and can get them at about any of the auto parts stores around here cheaper than paying shipping on line, even the chrome filters.

If you haven't changed oil on a Harley before, I'd suggest watching one or two youtube videos, just search "harley fat bob oil change" and you'll find a lot. You'll also see that the drain plug and oil fill varies among big twin Harleys, so be sure you get the right drain plug for your bike - some guys have posted about their ordeals when they pulled a plug that was supposed to be a mostly permanent tapered plug used for something else, and you can crack a case messing with one of these.

You probably know there are three separate oil changes on a Harley, primary case and transmission, too. If not, check these out on the youtube videos, too. It's all in the manual, but sometimes it helps to see someone else doing it if you haven't done it before. And if you do run into something you're not sure about, this forum is a good place to ask.

Old 10-27-2016, 12:29 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,718 Likes on 6,183 Posts

What kits? It's four quarts, a filter, and maybe a gasket/o-ring. You need a wrench?

Old 10-27-2016, 01:16 PM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 657 Likes on 435 Posts

Kit?

Why?

Of course the manual recommends Harley Branded stuff, what would you expect them to recommend? Mobile 1, Amsoil, or Valvoline, or Red Line?

Old 10-27-2016, 01:29 PM
MysticTraveler
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Red Line has a 'kit', and their products are top shelf. Doesn't include a filter though.
https://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=105&pcid=19

You can put a good quality 20w50 in all three holes, and keep things simple. Over time, many folks trend towards their favorite product in the three very different environments they serve in... a good 20w50 syn in the engine... gear oil in the tranny... and just about anything works in the primary. There's a ton of oil threads and polls you can check out. I have no particular gripe with Harley-branded stuff. I just think there are much better products, if you are going to pay the premium price.

Old 10-27-2016, 01:38 PM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 657 Likes on 435 Posts

How would you know it's better?

Old 10-27-2016, 01:56 PM
fsae0607
Road Master
Received 258 Likes on 143 Posts

I like using oils that can be bought at any common auto parts store.

This is what I run in my bikes:

- WIX oil filters
- Mobil 1 synthetic 20W-50 V-Twin motor oil in the engine
- Mobil 1 synthetic Racing 4T 10W-40 in the primary
- Mobil 1 synthetic 75W-140 gear oil in the tranny

Works great and not one problem.

Check out any oil thread if you want your head to spin!

Old 10-27-2016, 02:03 PM
MysticTraveler
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

For starters, by looking at their relative mix and type of base stocks. Harley Syn 3 is a 'blend'... 60% synthetic, and the rest petroleum based. It costs roughly the same as Red Line, Amsoil and others that are 100% synthetic base stock. Part of the problem is the definition of "synthetic" has become bastardized. Blends and fully synthetic products all carry a synthetic label.

In real terms, its hard to quantify why one product is better than another. We don't here about many (or any?) oil-related failures in non-racing bikes. If you are using a product that meets the required spec, and change your fluids often, you should be fine. It's really more about what gives you peace of mind... which is more about marketing and perception, than reality.

My personal prefs:
Engine - Red Line 20w50
Tranny - Spectro 75W-140 gear oil
Primary - Shell Rotella T 15w-40

Old 10-27-2016, 02:11 PM
MatteGlide15
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 600 Posts

I think he's talking about something like this

Old 10-27-2016, 02:13 PM
Redoilokie
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,709 Likes on 5,857 Posts

We've rehashed every other old topic recently. It's about time we got around to a new oil thread.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil change kits