Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Apes on a Fatboy S

Old 11-14-2016, 07:37 PM
Howard Malloy
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Apes on a Fatboy S

Anyone put apes on a Fatboy S? If so, where did you get your cables/wire extensions? Im trying to price everything out for my winter project and am struggling to find a kit that fit's this bike. I assume I have to buy my brake line, hydraulic clutch line, wires, etc separately? Any advice is appreciated.

Howard

Old 11-14-2016, 07:49 PM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member
Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

HERE is a good place to start.
I got my apes and a basic wiring kit, which included everything I needed, from these guys about 6 years ago and I have been totally with their product and their service (even shipped it all FREE to Japan), tho not everybody here will say the same...

They also sell a complete kit with handlebars all pre-wired. I didn't want to pay the charge for it, tho after I wired them up myself, I kinda wished I had. LOL

Old 11-14-2016, 07:56 PM
Howard Malloy
Intermediate

Ive looked on HCC & per the website cant find what Im looking for. Hell, their "create your own custom" page doesnt have anything past 2015. I could call them I guess, but am a bit shocked I havnt been able to find a kit online.

Old 02-03-2017, 12:21 PM
the_brento
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Howard Malloy
Ive looked on HCC & per the website cant find what Im looking for. Hell, their "create your own custom" page doesnt have anything past 2015. I could call them I guess, but am a bit shocked I havnt been able to find a kit online.
Have you had any luck? I am running into the same issue for my Slim S. LA Choppers has a kit for $450 but sheesh that's a lot of money for some wires and 2 hydraulic lines...

Old 02-04-2017, 10:58 AM
Howard Malloy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by the_brento
Have you had any luck? I am running into the same issue for my Slim S. LA Choppers has a kit for $450 but sheesh that's a lot of money for some wires and 2 hydraulic lines...
I ended up getting some HCC Bars from ebay. They came with wire extensions and hydraulic lines for just over 400. If you look for my other posts you can see pictures. I had emailed them prior to buying and they made the kit what I needed. One piece of feedback, the bars I purchased were 16" I was told I needed +10 on the brake & clutch lines. +10 is too much, when you see the pics you will see what I mean.

Old 02-04-2017, 02:58 PM
Roadie13
Stellar HDF Member

Received 999 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by the_brento
Try these guys, used them for 3 sets of bars and never an issue.
https://www.magnumshielding.com/
I prefer to pre-measure and order a specific size instead of doing the kit, but it's up to you. If the Slim S is the same as the Fat Boy S it gets interesting because HD changes the routing (goes to a block fitting like a touring bike and then back to the ABS module as opposed to just a longer cable straight down to the ABS module).

The cable sets are expensive as hell for the S models as compared to the standard break system bikes. If you need wire extensions NAMZ is an excellent source.

Old 02-04-2017, 03:52 PM
the_brento
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Howard Malloy
I ended up getting some HCC Bars from ebay. They came with wire extensions and hydraulic lines for just over 400. If you look for my other posts you can see pictures. I had emailed them prior to buying and they made the kit what I needed. One piece of feedback, the bars I purchased were 16" I was told I needed +10 on the brake & clutch lines. +10 is too much, when you see the pics you will see what I mean.
Nice! Thanks for your help!

Old 02-04-2017, 03:53 PM
the_brento
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Roadie13
Try these guys, used them for 3 sets of bars and never an issue.
https://www.magnumshielding.com/
I prefer to pre-measure and order a specific size instead of doing the kit, but it's up to you. If the Slim S is the same as the Fat Boy S it gets interesting because HD changes the routing (goes to a block fitting like a touring bike and then back to the ABS module as opposed to just a longer cable straight down to the ABS module).

The cable sets are expensive as hell for the S models as compared to the standard break system bikes. If you need wire extensions NAMZ is an excellent source.
Thank you! I'll sack some up here shortly!

Old 02-14-2017, 05:09 AM
Vision
Road Captain
Received 109 Likes on 76 Posts

Definitely don't go with a kit as you might not get the right lenth. I would work with the dealer to make sure you get the right stuff that will give you the cleanest install. If you go wider up top on the bars, you may also want to go with 90 degrees angles on your cables leaving the controls. I used 45degrees they look good but due to the with of my Bars up top (37 inches), I wish I used the 90s. They would have looked even better. I went steel braided on my lines and I think between them and the throttle extension wires, i paid like 300 I believe. My bars are 16inch. Sometimes you have to custom order your cables to get exactly what you want.

Old 02-24-2017, 06:19 AM
gregeinsc
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

I have been shopping bars for my Fatboy S. It is looking like anything 1.5" isn't going to work b/c of the hydraulic clutch. The thing is though, I see some of the 1.25" bars being advertised as "will not work with factory hydraulic clutch". I am confused as to why some 1.25 bars will work and some won't. I don't think I have EVER seen any set of bars, no matter what the diameter, that were dimpled on both ends for the master cylinders.

Last edited by gregeinsc; 02-24-2017 at 06:23 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Apes on a Fatboy S