Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock softail ass

Old 11-29-2016, 08:22 AM
Nickybonez
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stock softail ***

I've searched and searched doing research on rear fender/seat combo's for my 2006 night train swearing thats the route I want to go, however just recently I've had a few photos show up on a softail post on instagram with people who kept their stock rear fender, but cleaned it up by removing the plate and side blinkers and of course lowering the rear. Financially this would make more sense to me, and I can focus on other mods. Please post any photos you might have with a stock rear that's been cleaned up.

Old 11-29-2016, 08:31 AM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 75 Posts

The more you lower the rear, the worse your ride quality will be (and the more cornering clearance you'll lose), if that matters to you.

Old 11-29-2016, 08:38 AM
Nickybonez
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@Warp Factor I've been reading up on that which is why i'm considering going with air suspension with the money I would be saving from doing a rear fender conversion

Old 11-29-2016, 09:10 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,514 Likes on 3,771 Posts

If you want a rider, leave it stock especially if money is a concern. If you want a showboat, do whatever. Mine has the longer SE shocks in the back giving it about 1" drop. I took them out of the front which makes it look more then it is. The back will hit the bumper top very easly that ways unless you jack up the pre-load that makes it rough.

Old 11-29-2016, 09:30 AM
sbarron
Road Master
Received 200 Likes on 143 Posts

While not a Night Train, I've cleaned up the rear a bit and added the Shotgun Shock. I can't recommend ths Shotgun Shock enough. While not the cheapest option, being able to adjust the ride (height, rebound and damping) on the fly is fantastic.

Last edited by sbarron; 11-29-2016 at 09:32 AM.
Old 11-29-2016, 09:33 AM
Bamjoop
Cruiser
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

I say go for it. Lowering and cleaning up the stock rear, especially on your bike, looks so much better.

The following users liked this post:
Johnny Goodlife (12-07-2016)
Old 11-29-2016, 10:58 AM
Gaz B
Cruiser
Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickybonez
I've searched and searched doing research on rear fender/seat combo's for my 2006 night train swearing thats the route I want to go, however just recently I've had a few photos show up on a softail post on instagram with people who kept their stock rear fender, but cleaned it up by removing the plate and side blinkers and of course lowering the rear. Financially this would make more sense to me, and I can focus on other mods. Please post any photos you might have with a stock rear that's been cleaned up.

Hi,
Not a Night Train but I tidied my FXSTC rear end using parts from Exile.

I also slammed the rear end using the Arlen Ness lowering kit but I went for looks to begin with and dropped it by 2" but the ride was too hard and I eventually adjusted it to just an 1" lower.
Still looks cool and the ride when solo is nice and comfy again!

Attached Thumbnails Stock softail ass-20160723_125849.jpg  

Last edited by Gaz B; 11-29-2016 at 11:10 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-29-2016, 12:16 PM
back again
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,719 Likes on 2,096 Posts

Shotgun also here. Swear by it. I went the lowering bolt route along with the blue spring replacement,Progressives none was worth a flip other than the look. Without air shocks nothing comes close for my *** or back comfort. I ran Arrnot air for 4 years or so till they blew up and didn't make the Softail Shock any longer. Bought Shotguns several years ago and have been trouble free minus a switch replacement. I got 75 k on the Train I know what my body likes for comfort on the road.

Old 11-29-2016, 06:49 PM
DC Mike
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

After my accident, but before my widened deluxe fender was done. My pipes aren't always that ugly either. Hahaha

I have Progressive 422 shocks on it, adjusted almost all the way down. Crossbones rear wheel.

Mike

Old 12-07-2016, 07:11 PM
dharmon012
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

my bikes lowered and i can still corner real aggressively i say do it

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stock softail ass