General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Registering a chop.

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 03:05 PM
maverick31210
Road Captain
Received 140 Likes on 97 Posts
Default Registering a chop.

I feel like I should be able to find this out there but maybe I'm just shitty at searching.

I'm hoping someone with some experience on the topic can help.

I'm shopping frames and trying to decide whether to go with a pre-fab frame or a used HD frame and just hardtail it.

My question is regarding the registration process...I'm in CA for what it's worth. My concern in registering a "custom build" is that the DMV will want to inspect it before issuing a title, which I do not want. If the frame is currently registered and titled as a Harley Davidson, I can just build off that and register when ready as you would any other bike.

I'm not sure if this is correct and I'm hoping someone can chime in

Cheers!

Old 12-01-2016, 03:22 PM
1BRAVO9
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 579 Likes on 270 Posts

I'm not expert in California but I can speak in generalities.

If it is a custom frame and an obvious custom build they are going to know by the lack of VIN, so therefore they are definitely going to inspect the bike for the purpose of assigning it a VIN and issuing it a title.

On the other hand if it is a frame from a manufacturer (ie Harley Davidson) then it will have a title and a VIN. How you reconfigure it or what you do to it will be completely unknown to the person you present the title to.

At least that is my experience in the states I have done it.

The bad thing about Ca is that they are more stringent on those kinds of things so it may be worse

Old 12-01-2016, 03:24 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,201 Likes on 11,116 Posts

If you build a clone frame, it will come with a certificate of origin and will be registered as a special construction in Ca. If the frame is HD, it will be registered as a Harley Davidson.
Either may have to be inspected by CHP or DMV before a title and registration is issued.
If the HD frame is currently registered in Ca, the process is simple, just transfer the title in your name.
If the HD frame is from out of state, a DMV or CHP VIN verification is needed.
All motorcycle registrations in Ca includes the engine number.

Old 12-01-2016, 03:24 PM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,928 Likes on 2,568 Posts

In NY, your plan of action to use a HD frame with a VIN and existing title would be the way to go. Getting a "Custom" titled and insured is a major PITA.

Your results may vary in Cali.

Old 12-01-2016, 03:27 PM
1BRAVO9
Seasoned HDF Member

Well custom frames (that I know of) come with an MSO and a VIN is assigned when titled. Therefore any custom frame build would need to be inspected.

That's I would do what I and others have said, start with a Manufacturer frame that is already titled, in the state that you are in... California.

Old 12-01-2016, 03:29 PM
maverick31210
Road Captain

Thanks for the tips guys, so I sounds like I was on the right path of though.

Cleanest way to get this done is to find a titled HD frame and work off that to avoid the inspection.

Old 12-01-2016, 03:31 PM
maverick31210
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Machiavelli
Well custom frames (that I know of) come with an MSO and a VIN is assigned when titled. Therefore any custom frame build would need to be inspected.

That's I would do what I and others have said, start with a Manufacturer frame that is already titled, in the state that you are in... California.
It's kind of a toss I think...for instance, here in CA when you register a salvaged car or transfer title, sometimes they will inspect it, sometimes they won't, not sure what their reasoning is other than being government employees and not knowing their *** from a toaster, but whatever. What I don't want to have to do is build it and stick on turn signals, horn, all that other horseshit, to have to take it all off and clean up the wiring once it gets registered.

Old 12-01-2016, 03:37 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,201 Likes on 11,116 Posts

Originally Posted by maverick31210
It's kind of a toss I think...for instance, here in CA when you register a salvaged car or transfer title, sometimes they will inspect it, sometimes they won't, not sure what their reasoning is other than being government employees and not knowing their *** from a toaster, but whatever. What I don't want to have to do is build it and stick on turn signals, horn, all that other horseshit, to have to take it all off and clean up the wiring once it gets registered.
If the HD frame has a salvage title, it will be inspected for VIN, engine number, lights and brakes in Ca.

Last edited by upflying; 12-01-2016 at 03:39 PM.
Old 12-01-2016, 03:38 PM
1BRAVO9
Seasoned HDF Member

I've had one DMV require inspection and it was on a "manufactured custom" from out of state. The VIN number triggered something in their system and required an inspection before it could be titled in that state.

The Dept. of Public Safety was the ones who inspected it and they said it was because it was considered a custom and that although it had a VIN it was a requirement that all customs are checked to ensure they adhere to state law.

Old 12-01-2016, 03:40 PM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,004 Likes on 2,817 Posts

Originally Posted by maverick31210

My question is regarding the registration process...I'm in CA for what it's worth. My concern in registering a "custom build" is that the DMV will want to inspect it before issuing a title, which I do not want. If the frame is currently registered and titled as a Harley Davidson, I can just build off that and register when ready as you would any other bike.

I'm not sure if this is correct and I'm hoping someone can chime in

Cheers!
What's the big deal about having the bike inspected??? Your real concern should be the fact that if you have a special construction title the machine that you spent many thousands of dollars to build will be near worthless should you decide to sell it! Not to mention the grief you may have to go through to get insurance for it.

My advice is to start with a titled, running Harley-Davidson. That way at least it will always be a Harley-Davidson. Or if you insist on a rigid frame use a titled frame that has already been hard tailed. Don't destroy another classic 4 speed frame.

But if you do go the special construction route, make sure you have a COMPLETE build file that includes a receipt and a photograph of every component that goes into the construction of that bike. Especially if the part has a VIN or serial number. Otherwise upon inspection you may see your newly completed project being rolled off through the swinging doors never to be seen again. G'luck with your build.

The following users liked this post:
qtrracer (12-02-2016)

Quick Reply: Registering a chop.