Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lets talk exhaust, I need an idea

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 07:57 AM
Bunker
Stellar HDF Member

Received 464 Likes on 305 Posts
Default Lets talk exhaust, I need an idea

I know it's not technically audio but the whole reason I started upgrading my audio in the first place was because I installed a D&D Fat Cat.

I loved it but the wife has started riding with me so I've had to make a change. Sold my beloved D&D yesterday and now I need a replacement.

On the short list is the V&H Power Duals w/450's

I had Rineharts w/stock head pipe before the D&D and I liked it but it wasn't even close to being loud enough.

I'm hunting a deep rumble, the D&D wasn't as deep as I wanted but I still liked it and it was LOUD

I know it's cliche but I do believe in loud pipes. In MY head at least, I feel I'm easier to see by the cagers when they can hear me coming.

I do however want to hear my tunes at highway speed and not the drone of the exhaust.

Thoughts?

Old 12-02-2016, 08:51 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

Bunker the FM Road and Track 2-1 sounds awesome. Installed one on my oldest sons SGS about a month ago. Very deep and aggressive sound but settles down really nice at cruising speeds. Not sure what you'd do about a ghost pipe though. Dunno if FM offers one or not.

The following users liked this post:
Bunker (12-02-2016)
Old 12-02-2016, 08:58 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by Bunker
I know it's not technically audio but the whole reason I started upgrading my audio in the first place was because I installed a D&D Fat Cat.

I loved it but the wife has started riding with me so I've had to make a change. Sold my beloved D&D yesterday and now I need a replacement.

I had Rineharts w/stock head pipe before the D&D and I liked it but it wasn't even close to being loud enough.

I'm hunting a deep rumble, the D&D wasn't as deep as I wanted but I still liked it and it was LOUD

I know it's cliche but I do believe in loud pipes. In MY head at least, I feel I'm easier to see by the cagers when they can hear me coming.

I do however want to hear my tunes at highway speed and not the drone of the exhaust.

Thoughts?
Wish I could help Bunker . . But I run CFR's. I'd say these are the loudest deepest rumble out there!! That's why I run 12 speakers and two amps! LOL!!

The following 2 users liked this post by Gannicus:
Bunker (12-02-2016), sponger (12-02-2016)
Old 12-02-2016, 09:35 AM
TomboAT65
Tourer
Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

+1 for Fuel Moto. I run their 2/1/2 Ceramic coated headers and the Hi-Roller slip ons. Gives the bike a nice deep rumble and quiets down on the highway.

Bunker (12-02-2016)
Old 12-02-2016, 09:45 AM
eaglefan1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,134 Likes on 763 Posts

Thoughts?
I was eye baling your D&D, great exhaust. Im with Gann on this one. Put a set of CFRs on it. My favorite sounding muffler. They sound even better with a higher compression motor and cams. Almost sounds like a race car to me from behind

Bunker (12-02-2016)
Old 12-02-2016, 09:59 AM
TomboAT65
Tourer
Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

This Fuel Moto's video on the Hi-Rollers

Old 12-02-2016, 11:37 AM
CVOJOE
Road Captain
Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Check out Dragos Dragula exhaust. Equal power to a D&D and not as loud

http://dragosbikeworks.com/new-dragula-2-exhaust.html

You may also want to consider the Dragos H-Pipe. The sound of true dual's but has a H-Chamber that keeps you from losing your low end power. This is the pipe I am running on "Elvira" with the HD SE Street Cannon slip-on's. Very deep low rumble till you go WOT and then it gets loud and nasty.

http://dragosbikeworks.com/drago-scs-h-pipe-header.html

Last edited by CVOJOE; 12-02-2016 at 12:07 PM.
Bunker (12-02-2016)
Old 12-02-2016, 12:38 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

As you probably already know choosing exhaust is like choosing audio. It’s all in the package. As an example I have the D&D FC on my SG with the Louvered Wrapped Quiet Baffle which was recommend over the performance baffle by my engine builder and tuner (Doc Weaver) even at 100+ HP. The performance baffle would have been too much flow and would have caused a loss of power.

Choosing exhaust by how loud it is, is like saying I want really loud speaker, but I don't want to install and amp.

On the Ultra I have the Jackpot 2-1-2, Jackpot mufflers and the FM mini tuner with a canned map. For touring my ears are happy and can hear my tunes at any speed.

I would check out the FM Jackpot 2-into-1 Road & Track Full System that Bates mentioned. Give Jamie a call and tell him what you are looking for. There Cyber Week sale is going on for a couple more days.

Bunker (12-02-2016)
Old 12-02-2016, 01:09 PM
Bunker
Stellar HDF Member

Received 464 Likes on 305 Posts

Oh I fully intend to use the cyberweek deals at fuelmoto, just trying to narrow my choices

thanks guys as always

Old 12-02-2016, 02:18 PM
sponger
Road Master
Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

Thoughts?
Im getting conflicting statements here. I read that the wife is riding with u now, so u need quieter pipes? Then i read u want louder pipes?
I have cfr's with vtwin headers. When u get on the throttle they growl LOUD. Not high pitchy at all. Then when u get to cruising speed, they really mellow out to a nice rumble. I do however get a jake brake type sound and sometimes decel popping when i get off the throttle. But i wont trade them anytime soon. Oh and the lady rides with me too, and she hasn't said anything about them at all.

Quick Reply: Lets talk exhaust, I need an idea