Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power Vision Tuning Control Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 07:59 AM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 324 Posts
Default Power Vision Tuning Control Question

A few days ago, I replaced the PowerCommander3 that was on the bike when I bought it, with the Power Vision. Very nice unit and easy to use. I don't own a Windows based computer, so the stand alone "dash" was one of the selling points.

The map that was supplied to suit my combo was good enough to get my '06 Deluxe running after a cam change, but not running near well enough. Intermittent missing while under light throttle at low speeds, running a bit too hot, decel popping, and white plugs.

So, I've been using the "Fuel" tab in quick tune to give it more fuel. I've given it. A bit more fuel in increments in the "low" and "med" areas. Each time I add fuel it makes an improvement.

I've been wrenching a long time, but I haven't done anything with EFI tuners. I read some about using the VE tab, but how does that relate to using the fuel tab? Would it better to use that than it would the fuel tab to make fuel adjustments?

Old 12-05-2016, 11:54 AM
Back-n-Black
Road Warrior
Received 427 Likes on 229 Posts

Have you run any auto tune sessions?

Old 12-05-2016, 11:57 AM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member

I don't have O2 sensors. Is that what the VE controls are for?

Old 12-05-2016, 12:12 PM
Back-n-Black
Road Warrior
Received 427 Likes on 229 Posts

Got me on that question....I'm still wet behind the ears on the EFI Tuning myself.
Who did you buy it from? I bought mine from fuelmoto and they are always helpful on any questions via phone or email.

Old 12-05-2016, 12:36 PM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member

I bought from Fuel Moto too. I watched some of the videos, and that helped out a bunch. But I haven't asked the question of them. Just hoping to gain from others experiences.

Old 12-05-2016, 01:23 PM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Lawless
I bought from Fuel Moto too. I watched some of the videos, and that helped out a bunch. But I haven't asked the question of them. Just hoping to gain from others experiences.
Call Fuel Moto and explain what's happening (sounds lean). Send them the map you are working with and they will send a new map in short order. They are very good about taking care of issues like yours...and will continue to work with you until everything is resolved.

Old 12-07-2016, 09:38 AM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks. I'll have to call 'em today. I sent an e-mail yesterday morning, but have not gotten a reply yet.

As it turns out, simply adding fuel was not the answer. The intermittent miss was still there, and it was running very rich and getting really crappy fuel mileage. Just to satisfy my own OCD tendencies about this kind of stuff, I returned the bike to the stock tune, and plugged the PC3 back in. Runs good again, just a touch lean. This confirmed in my own mind that there is nothing wrong with any of the bike's systems.

I was so hoping to rid the bike of the piggy-back tuner, so I hope that this can be resolved.

Old 12-07-2016, 10:52 AM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member

Just got off the phone with Jamie at Fuel Moto. I honestly don't know what I expected him to do, but right now, I'm regretting my decision to buy the Power Vision. The purchase was based on "No Computer Needed." I don't own a windows based PC. To get and load a different tune into the PV, I either need to buy one or borrow one. Either more money spent, or going against one of my personal credo's....Neither Borrower nor Lender be. I know I certainly wouldn't lend my PC to anyone.

Another option is I can send the unit back after filling out the forms they have on their website and have them reload a tune or two.

He also mentioned getting it dyno tuned. Probably what I should have done initially, as that could have been done without buying the PV and the cost would have been close to the same as buying the PV and I would have been done with it.

Can't sell the dang PV, as now it's married to my bike.

Regardless, it's gonna be a bit of a pain to deal with, although I'm sure it will work out in the long run.

It's a good thing it's winter!

Old 12-07-2016, 11:24 AM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,108 Likes on 1,340 Posts

Just got off the phone with Jamie at Fuel Moto. I honestly don't know what I expected him to do, but right now, I'm regretting my decision to buy the Power Vision. The purchase was based on "No Computer Needed." I don't own a windows based PC. To get and load a different tune into the PV, I either need to buy one or borrow one. Either more money spent, or going against one of my personal credo's....Neither Borrower nor Lender be. I know I certainly wouldn't lend my PC to anyone.

Another option is I can send the unit back after filling out the forms they have on their website and have them reload a tune or two.

He also mentioned getting it dyno tuned. Probably what I should have done initially, as that could have been done without buying the PV and the cost would have been close to the same as buying the PV and I would have been done with it.

Can't sell the dang PV, as now it's married to my bike.

Regardless, it's gonna be a bit of a pain to deal with, although I'm sure it will work out in the long run.

It's a good thing it's winter!
Hello Mike, we are here to help you. As we discussed this morning we diddnt have an exact map for the cam you are running, we are pretty limited on 2006 Softail maps as they are a one year specific PV calibration, however the biggest boundary is that you have a Mac computer and have difficulty accessing a Windows PC. As noted if you send a support request to our Map Revise form http://www.fuelmotousa.com/p-33537-f...-services.html we can get started on putting together a revised map and emailed to you, I can even put a couple maps together to test. Once we know the direction we need to do go with the tune it should not be too difficult to get it dialed in. If you can get quick access to a Windows computer it would make things pretty easy, we can even take control of it remotely if needed. The other option would be to send the unit to us and we can load several revised maps into it and send it back. Either way we are here to offer support and tuning assistance. All channels are open.

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Old 12-07-2016, 02:02 PM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,154 Likes on 722 Posts

I don't have O2 sensors. Is that what the VE controls are for?
Hey Mike...

Don't know what you discussed with Jamie, but he's definitely the expert you want to be talking to. If you haven't discussed VE's and other conceptual things with him, I can give you my answer to your question....

I like to simplify things... So I like to think of the Volumetric Efficiency (VE) tables as your tune's model for Air in the Air to Fuel ratio calculation. Definition wise VE is:

Volumetric efficiency (VE) in an internal combustion engine design refers to the efficiency with which the engine can move the charge of fuel and air into and out of the cylinders. Volumetric efficiency is also ratio of mass of air drawn in cylinder to its swept volume. [1] More specifically, volumetric efficiency is a ratio (or percentage) of the mass quantity of air and fuel that is trapped by the cylinder during induction divided by the mass that would occupy the displaced volume at the density of the air in the intake manifold...
That definition and more information came from here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volumetric_efficiency

The VE tables are where you make enrichment and enleanment adjustments. If you want to address a lean spot in your tune (performance band/area of operation), then you increase the VE number in that spot in the VE table. The result of that increase tells the ECM that it has more air coming in at that spot and therefore it needs to apply more fuel to meet the set AFR in the corresponding spot in the set AFR table. Same thing goes in the opposite direction. For a rich spot you reduce the VE number to lean it out.

Quick Reply: Power Vision Tuning Control Question