Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vance and Hines slip ons 21899 installed one week ago

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 01:04 AM
rogersachs
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Question Vance and Hines slip ons 21899 installed one week ago

Love the sound, but they seem to loud and hurt my ears at 27-3000 rpm. I think I can get used to them. Tried ear plugs , but they hurt my ears after a while and dont like the time and fuss to put them in.

What does the forum think of the quiet baffles.

How hard to get the original baffles out. How difficult to intall quite ones( I read the posts for tricks to install- but some say only muscle works.). I also have a good Nolan helmet, but still not enough sound supression. I also have a Fuel moto Power vision tuner-- love it.

Roger

Old 12-06-2016, 02:34 AM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

1. Pictures or it didn't happen

2. wear ear protection, it's a must. look for some more comfortable plugs...

3. you can knock the baffles out once you remove the bolt/screw holding them in. you may be able to just pull them out since they are new and there's little to no carbon build up.

if not, (after removing the bolt/screw) take the slip-ons off the bike and stick a pipe or pole in the headpipe side of the muffler and give the pole a few wacks on the ground to push the baffles out of the muffler.

we all had to learn:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...-slip-ons.html

Last edited by cvaria; 12-06-2016 at 02:46 AM.
Old 12-06-2016, 05:56 AM
Back-n-Black
Road Warrior
Received 427 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by rogersachs
Love the sound, but they seem to loud and hurt my ears at 27-3000 rpm.
Ear plugs and be done with it.

Old 12-06-2016, 12:00 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 968 Likes on 731 Posts

I drank the V&H koolaid and bought those slipons when I got rid of the stock mufflers. They were not only loud but tinny and high pitched. Tried the quiet baffles, which only lower the db by 2 or 3. A bit better but not worth the expense. The best sound I got out of them was with the BCT QQ baffles. Again, not cheap either.
I ended up with a pair of Cycle Shacks for $140 and they sounded great.
What I think you should try are the TTI's from DK Customs. They cost about $30 shipped. Check them out on their website.
Or just find a good set of earplugs that you can live with. They're not all the same.

Old 12-06-2016, 01:06 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts

I wont really add anything other than a post to this!

Roger, hope all is well with the bike, love the new brakes you had done as well.

It takes a bit of time to get used to the earplugs but there are a ton available and they work wonders (truly). I also have a Nolan but still wear earplugs pretty much anytime I go for a ride beyond coming to work and back. I do use reusable ones so no fuss getting them in. I love filtering some of the wind noise and actually helps to clear other desired noises around me, cars, etc.

On my previous exhaust, I replaced the stock baffles with the quiet ones. My exhaust was not V&H but was made by them. The Quiet baffle lowers the decibels by about 2, I used a meter to measure. They do also deepen the tone a bit which helps a tad. I also experimented with the Thunder Torque Inserts as a method of volume control to no avail.

Personally I'd use the ear plugs and move on, but if not, don't bother with the prescribed quiet baffles which cost around $45ea, look at some of the other options out there instead.

Good luck!

Old 12-07-2016, 02:37 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Love the sound, but they seem to loud and hurt my ears at 27-3000 rpm. I think I can get used to them. Tried ear plugs , but they hurt my ears after a while and dont like the time and fuss to put them in.

How hard to get the original baffles out. How difficult to intall quite ones( I read the posts for tricks to install- but some say only muscle works.). I also have a good Nolan helmet, but still not enough sound supression. I also have a Fuel moto Power vision tuner-- love it.

Roger
I recently discovered VH made QBs that fit my VH straight shot slips and I jumped on it. As long as you wrap the insulation wirh stainless wire its pretty much a snap. I coated the contact points and fastening bolt with anti-sieze and it shouldnt rust up. Get on VH website and get on the live chat. Ask them what QBs fit you particular slip ons, then shop around. I havent fired mine up yet but Ive listened to enough videos and reviews to know what to expect.

Old 12-07-2016, 03:23 PM
kngpn
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,116 Likes on 2,674 Posts

I have Cobra 3".

The reg baffles sounded awesome but there was a range during acceleration where it would hurt my ears. More from the frequency of the sound than level. I put quite baffles in and it took that away.. but admittedly they don't sound as good. There are a little quieter overall as well. They just take the edge off, they can still get loud.

On my list is to get some DK Custom Thunder torque inserts and I'll try them with the regular baffles again.

Old 12-07-2016, 03:32 PM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Roger

Will you like the time and fuss of putting hearing aids in? It's not the pipes you need to worry about; it's the wind. I've owned whisper quiet touring bikes and still used ear plugs. I don't care if you wear a full face helmet; the wind noise will destroy your hearing. Accept that fact and wear hearing protection or be a deaf guy...

The following users liked this post:
cvaria (12-07-2016)
Old 12-07-2016, 05:58 PM
Davdoodles
Tourer
Received 83 Likes on 52 Posts

How thin is the padding on your saddle? I know this sounds weird, bu I had maybe the same issue, at certain revs. Suddenly the sound increased and ear-plugs didn't help.

I've got a mustang cyclone saddle (comfortable, but very little padding on a hard, well-shaped base), and I'm kinda skinny.

One day, I lifted my butt off the seat and the noise disappeared. It seems that the 'sound' was really a vibration in the bike that traveled up my skeleton and directly vibrated the bones inside my ears.

This kind of stuff, I guess: http://www.audioboneheadphones.com/how-it-works/

I put a layer of sheepskin on my seat for longer rides and the 'sound' disappeared completely (and earplugs took care of the actual exhaust rumble). In the longer-term I'll replace the front engine mount with a vibra-technics mount, maybe play around with gel in the saddle, etc...

Weird, but true!

Old 12-07-2016, 06:13 PM
Rakthi
Road Warrior
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

I installed these together with the quiet baffles. Worked very well.

http://www.smartpartz.com

Quick Reply: Vance and Hines slip ons 21899 installed one week ago