Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stage 1 Sportster

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 01:35 AM
oops1994
Novice
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Stage 1 Sportster

I am currently considering doing a stage 1 upgrade on my 09 XL1200C Sportster. I am looking at using a TFI tuner from Dobek Performance, S&S Stealth AC and Bassani Road Rage Megaphone shorts. I now am stock with HD hardbags and stock seat which I am definitly going to replace. Also thinking of mini-apes. any suggestions guys. Wanting to up horse power a little bit, and better sound.

Old 12-06-2016, 01:50 AM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Originally Posted by oops1994
I am currently considering doing a stage 1 upgrade on my 09 XL1200C Sportster. I am looking at using a TFI tuner from Dobek Performance, S&S Stealth AC and Bassani Road Rage Megaphone shorts. I now am stock with HD hardbags and stock seat which I am definitly going to replace. Also thinking of mini-apes. any suggestions guys. Wanting to up horse power a little bit, and better sound.

sounds good. i love my road rage 2 mega power.

>! might want to remove your physical address from "location" though

The following users liked this post:
oops1994 (12-06-2016)
Old 12-06-2016, 03:13 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Originally Posted by oops1994
Welcome to the forum!

When looking at doing a Stage I upgrade, it is important to know that there are HUGE Variations in Stage I's, and the results they produce.

All Stage I's are Not created equal.

Here is a LINK with important information before making decisions.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

oops1994 (12-06-2016)
Old 12-06-2016, 06:34 AM
whittlebeast
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

The only tuner that allows you to run closed loop and get spot on fueling is a Target Tune setup. The stock closed loop PIDs are screwed up on Sportys and DJ is the only company that took the time to fix it.

You will not regret it.

Andy

oops1994 (12-06-2016)
Old 12-06-2016, 07:55 AM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,152 Likes on 720 Posts

Originally Posted by whittlebeast
The only tuner that allows you to run closed loop and get spot on fueling is a Target Tune setup. The stock closed loop PIDs are screwed up on Sportys and DJ is the only company that took the time to fix it.

You will not regret it.

Andy
+1

oops1994 (12-06-2016)
Old 12-06-2016, 08:02 AM
whittlebeast
Road Master

I happen to be a firm believer that if you are going to do any mod on a Sporty, do a target tune first. Way before exhaust, AC, cams or any other so called performance mod.

I have not seen stock data on the later Sportys. Harley may have fixed them.....

Andy

oops1994 (12-06-2016)
Old 12-06-2016, 08:11 AM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by whittlebeast
I happen to be a firm believer that if you are going to do any mod on a Sporty, do a target tune first. Way before exhaust, AC, cams or any other so called performance mod.

I have not seen stock data on the later Sportys. Harley may have fixed them.....

Andy
Heck... I would suggest that even if you plan on doing no mods - running completely stock - that you still consider doing a Target Tune. Hate making definitive statements, but at least in my view, the stock tune is not ideal and any sporty coming off the showroom floor would significantly benefit from a PV and TT.

oops1994 (12-06-2016)
Old 12-06-2016, 08:45 AM
whittlebeast
Road Master

I use MegaLogViewer HD to look at the data logs coming off all of the different versions of DJ tuning SW. It is amazing to see in living color, the ECU just nailing the tune.

Hare a few MLV HD screen shots coming off my TT

http://www.nbs-stl.com/HarleyTuning/...uelTargets.png

http://www.nbs-stl.com/HarleyTuning/...%20vs%20DC.png

http://www.nbs-stl.com/HarleyTuning/...20Filtered.png

Andy

oops1994 (12-06-2016)
Old 12-06-2016, 09:29 PM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member

The MAP x RPM vs Duty Cycle plots never seemed intuitive to me so I just try to keep it simple.

The first data log I recorded before starting with Autotune Basic with the stock narrowband O2 sensors:

First data log after the first Autotune Basic (with NB 02s) session:

By the time I finished Autotune Basic with the narrowbands, the front cylinder look pretty much like the rear in the picture above.

Been running with Target Tune for a while. I just installed a new intake, so doing some new Autotune w/Target Tune (w/widebands) sessions. Below are the results after one of those sessions. This ride was on county roads with a fair amount of traffic that prevented me from doing much out of the ordinary. So there's not much at the extremes.

Appears the front cylinder in particular has leaned up a bit. Couple more sessions put on the schedule to massage the VE tables back into shape.

Since I'm running full time closed loop - regardless of the errors in the VE tables - actual AFR's appear to be tracking the Set AFR's pretty well.

Old 12-07-2016, 05:47 AM
whittlebeast
Road Master

T^2

In log view, plot MAPxRPM and Duty Cycle on the same graph

then on the next plot, do MAP and Pulse Width

It turns out that on a well tuned motor if you do a scatter plot, MAPxRPM is essentially the same thing as a Mass Air Flow. If you double RPM, the air processed by the motor doubles. If you double MAP, you double the air processed by the motor. MAPxRPM vs Duty Cycle winds up a linear function.

Here is a well tuned hyper motor that I tune. Look at the data on the right.

http://www.nbs-stl.com/MLVDemo/030%2...sicAfrView.png

I have been looking at all sorts of motors with this software about 2 hours a day for the last 5 years. This almost always holds true except for ITB motors and motors with VVT.

Andy

Quick Reply: Stage 1 Sportster