Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shields LRS

Old 12-09-2016, 07:00 AM
havin a tantrum
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shields LRS

I have a 2010 RKC and need a new shield. I have decided to go with LRS but need some opinions on clear versus light tint. I ride during the day light. I am 5' 9" and plan on the 16" version. Currently I have a clear HD cut down to 17" and it is good for visibility but does buffet some. I would probably purchase the recurve in hopes it helps. Thoughts appreciated

Old 12-09-2016, 07:04 AM
K Melancon
Road Warrior
Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

I would go clear as I had a tinted years ago and did not like it. Also they are on sale for 70% off now.

The following users liked this post:
havin a tantrum (12-09-2016)
Old 12-09-2016, 07:16 AM
PeteF
Road Captain
Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

My windshield is the light tint and I have no issues, not even at night.

Old 12-09-2016, 07:35 AM
havin a tantrum
5th Gear

I see they offer 2 shields one is the Elite which is the most popular and the other is the Switch Back which is a little cheaper. I can't see the difference in the pictures. Does anyone have a preference one versus the other. Thanks in advance

Old 12-09-2016, 07:44 AM
K Melancon
Road Warrior
Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

They usually make two that look identical. But they are made of different materials. One will crack into large shards on heavy impact just like the other cheaper shields (Lexan) and the other (Polycarbonate) will bend or flex without cracking into large shards. The more expensive (Polycarbonate) is the one that will bend or flex without cracking. It does not bend or flex as your riding.

Last edited by K Melancon; 12-09-2016 at 07:47 AM.
Old 12-09-2016, 08:07 AM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,523 Likes on 1,420 Posts

I recommend a clear shield, let your eye wear decide the degree of tint you need for the conditions. I am a firm believer of always wearing eye protection when I ride. I wear Oakleys with various lens in the case, including photo chromatic that lighten or darken as needed. Different conditions call for different types of tint. I also keep clear safety glasses for night riding, really helps with bugs.
LRS poly carbonate for sure. Height for you is critical. My regular windshield pushes the wind an inch or two over the top of my helmet. My recurve sits about an inch lower on the bike, but the wind still goes over my head an inch or two. The recurve really does turn it up slightly over the regular shield.
BTW, I would not want to be in a situation where a dark shield posed a danger for me or my rider. Some may like them primarily for the look, for me it's SAFETY FIRST.

Old 12-09-2016, 08:15 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 69,777 Likes on 21,281 Posts

Make sure that it fits you right first.
Proper fitament is everything.

Old 12-09-2016, 09:22 AM
havin a tantrum
5th Gear

Thanks for all the advice. I just ordered the 16" polycarbonate in clear and HOPE it is the right decision. My current is 17" and clear HD so I suspect with the recurve on the top I will be very similar but won't know until spring as I live in Ohio currently 22 deg and snowing.

Old 12-09-2016, 09:38 AM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts

Don't sweat it, next summer you'll be buying another. They have a 50% or more off sale on every holiday. I've got a couple of different ones and change them around from time to time. I don't have an RK so can't comment on the height, but the quality of the product is high. Since I don't look through mine I prefer a dark tint, top of the recurve is around my top lip and the stream goes over my head. You'll be pleased I'm sure, they have a lot of repeat business.

Last edited by just plain john; 12-09-2016 at 09:46 AM.
Old 12-09-2016, 09:48 AM
sailmotion
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7,838 Likes on 3,236 Posts

Originally Posted by havin a tantrum
Thanks for all the advice. I just ordered the 16" polycarbonate in clear and HOPE it is the right decision. My current is 17" and clear HD so I suspect with the recurve on the top I will be very similar but won't know until spring as I live in Ohio currently 22 deg and snowing.
The recurve will almost certainly improve any buffeting you might have experienced with your 17". I dropped down 1" from my stock Ultra windshield. Despite the decreased height, the windstream was elevated by the recurve and significantly improved my ride. You won't be disappointed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Shields LRS