General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Apparently NOT Made In The USA

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 09:43 PM
Little Mike
Road Master
Received 93 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Apparently NOT Made In The USA

Getting ready for some new lifters and couldn't get past two things in regards to the S&S High Performance. The lack of proud clarification on their website and packaging like you see on the Premiums and the Premiums being 2x the cost. Looked at sites like Dennis Kirk and Drag Specialties and they both say Made in the USA...but no place on S&S's website. So I decided to ask them directly. As you can see in the online chat box, by their own admission...made in Mexico.

Little curious about where the various sellers got the info their using on their sites or if they just assumed that because the Premiums were US made that the non premiums were as well.

Old 12-09-2016, 09:48 PM
RFG7680
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,280 Likes on 733 Posts

I wouldn't be buying them if there was an American made set. I check labels and spend the extra. Good for you for asking.

The following users liked this post:
Goose_NC (08-18-2023)
Old 12-09-2016, 10:01 PM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!
Received 6,656 Likes on 3,223 Posts

Whew good thing I popped for the Premiums, didn't know the others were "hecho en Mexico"

Old 12-09-2016, 11:49 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

I am very saddened to read this. I have always been a staunch defender of S&S. But to read this really irks my A$$. Thanks for posting.

GREENOHAWK69 (08-18-2023)
Old 12-10-2016, 12:39 AM
Little Mike
Road Master

It bugs me too. I've always held S&S in pretty high regard. Just so I know I was as clear as I could be, when I asked them they didn't waiver in their answer. I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing but at least they were honest. What bugs me just as much if not more are all the distributors who are saying they are Made in the USA. Did they make an assumption, were they given that info, or was it a they didn't ask we aren't going to tell them deal.

Also, the Premiums ARE American made. I'm not opposed either to paying more for American made if the quality of the materials and craftsmanship are better. Twice the cost does seem a bit steep though.

Old 12-10-2016, 02:53 AM
LoneWoolf
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 710 Likes on 486 Posts

Probably 1/3 of our bikes components are sourced from over-seas. You basically put your trust in the US seller that they have some hand in quality control. But given the choice, I'd pay a premium for USA made, but I don't bash them for being honest about country of origin and giving the buyer a choice.

The following 2 users liked this post by LoneWoolf:
downzero (08-22-2023), FattyMcJ (12-13-2016)
Old 12-10-2016, 03:07 AM
Little Mike
Road Master

Originally Posted by LoneWoolf
Probably 1/3 of our bikes components are sourced from over-seas. You basically put your trust in the US seller that they have some hand in quality control. But given the choice, I'd pay a premium for USA made, but I don't bash them for being honest about country of origin and giving the buyer a choice.
That's why I was sure to further clarify. No problem with them offering options and like I said they were honest about it. I'm not for false advertising though and if you go to some of the bigger distributors websites you will see that they are saying they are made in the USA. Again, that might be a choice they are making on their own. If that's the case those sellers need to be called on the carpet for selling them as American made.

Old 12-10-2016, 05:37 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

S&S should put on their website in bold letters that the Standards are imported. Omitting it is a lie in my book. I'll take that into account the next time I'm looking for a part.

Goose_NC (08-18-2023)
Old 12-10-2016, 06:02 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,387 Likes on 2,951 Posts

"Made in USA" by Mexicans and/or Philipinos. But they do good work, so there is that.

Been in many machine shops in the Southland. Many.

Calif Fat Bob (08-23-2023)
Old 12-10-2016, 08:17 AM
ISP-FLHTK
Road Captain
Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts

Had a business type guy approach me at a gas station south of Chicago this summer. I thought he was just eye balling my bike but he informed me that he worked for some type of supply company from Japan and that almost half the parts for my TG were non-American. Don't know if he was full of it or not.

Goose_NC (08-18-2023)

Quick Reply: Apparently NOT Made In The USA