Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road king vs Road glide otd price

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 12:02 PM
J6collins
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road king vs Road glide otd price

Hello all,
First off I would like to thank everyone in advance for any assistance they may be able to provide. I do not have a Harley but rented a street glide and loved it. I have what I assume to be two great deals and wanted to get some people's opinions. The first one is a 2016 road king for 1700 otd brand new. The second is a 2016 road glide for 19000 otd. I have until Monday to make a decision. Thank you for any help you can provide

Old 12-10-2016, 12:08 PM
J6collins
5th Gear

I understand there have been many posts like this but I could not find any since the release of the 2017 model. Thanks again everybody

Old 12-10-2016, 12:15 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 394 Likes on 336 Posts

Welcome to the forums- ALL the touring models are the "same" ( drivetrain, frame brakes front end etc.)

the differences are the plastic, speakers and badges.

most RK owners see themselves as staying closer to home- the RG owner sees themselves as a true long distance warrior.

so what do you think your use will be? the RK can often be used for a 50's/60's "tribute" kinda thing. The sharknose not so much.

The RK has a windscreen for some weather protection- like the batwing bikes, wind gusts turn into "steering input" since these are fork mounted- so a gust can give a wiggle and you adjust with your hands.

the sharknose is aerodynamically superior- but wind gusts will lean the whole bike- a steady crosswind may give you an all-day lean, to go straight.

the wind experience is different too- on paper I like the RG, in reality i prefer the batwing or nothing.

either of these have ABS? I would make that a prime consideration

both these models have 13" rear shocks so a smoother ride than the SG you tried ( 12")

money- the last twincams will have limited resale value- you can score if you plan on keeping this for 15 years- in 3 years you will take a bath.
buy what is within your means- if the few thousand bucks difference is big deal for your finances...think about a used bike.
You can get a great bike for 1/2 your budget

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 12-10-2016 at 01:04 PM.
Old 12-10-2016, 12:20 PM
2goldens
HDF Community Team
Received 303 Likes on 207 Posts

2 very different bikes. Can't speak on pricing because I haven't shopped recently and don't bother to research when I'm not buying.
Personally, I had a brand new 2014 SG. Nice bike to be sure, but I went back to a low mile 2001 RK. I enjoy riding the RK much, much more. I guess I'm just not a batwing guy.
I don't know that I'd throw out the cash on the RG unless you've ridden one and decide if you like the fixed fairing or not. Off hand, with your limited information I'd say the prices aren't terrible but aren't a steal based on the information below. Keep in mind that the 2017's have the new 107 Milwaukee 8 motor.
According to a document posted by someone else on this forum earlier, MSRP on a 2017 Road King Touring is $18,999 with a $15,245 invoice.
It shows the 2017 Road Glide Touring with a $21,299 sticker and $16,845 invoice. I assume these are base, no option prices. A quick look on H-D's website does indeed say that the RK "starts" at $18,999.

Last edited by 2goldens; 12-10-2016 at 12:29 PM.
Old 12-10-2016, 12:21 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,901 Likes on 17,471 Posts

First welcome to the forums and yes we've had several price threads and yes our search function is a joke. Dealers around here in the bay area are sitting on MSRP for the 17 models which puts a 17 RK right at $22,500 OTD. On the 16 model they are dealing like crazy, since I want the RK those don't interest me price wise. You can get a 17 RK for 17K out the door it's a hell of a deal , the RG sounds cheap also so at this point I'd say it's personal choice . Which do you like more?

Last edited by TwiZted Biker; 12-10-2016 at 12:23 PM.
Old 12-10-2016, 12:36 PM
J6collins
5th Gear

Wow great responses, thanks a lot. I am kind of a priss when it comes to wind protection so if I got the rk I would put a fairing on it (400 + paint). I know they are the same bike at heart but wanted to know if it is a great deal. I am in Germany with the army and this is supposed to be special military pricing. If I was buying a BMW, triumph, or Yamaha (adventure bike) like I'm use to I would say not so much but my understanding is Harley's go right around msrp.

Old 12-10-2016, 12:56 PM
C.H.L.
Road Warrior
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by J6collins
Wow great responses, thanks a lot. I am kind of a priss when it comes to wind protection so if I got the rk I would put a fairing on it (400 + paint). I know they are the same bike at heart but wanted to know if it is a great deal. I am in Germany with the army and this is supposed to be special military pricing. If I was buying a BMW, triumph, or Yamaha (adventure bike) like I'm use to I would say not so much but my understanding is Harley's go right around msrp.

If you see yourself putting on a fairing, I would skip the RK.

I only put my windshield on when it's really cold, or I'm going out of town..... I like the look of the Road King without a shield - but that's just me.

Again, if you see yourself putting on the fairing - I would just buy a Street Glide or Road Glide from the start - you'll be happier that way IMO.

I have riden Street Glides, Road Glides, Ultras, and of course my Road King - I personally feel they are ALL great bikes.... Pros and Cons to all, but all great bikes.....

Personally, I like to just ride behind bars and open air - so, I have a Road King..... BUT, I admit, windshields are better for touring - and Batwings and Shark Noses are far better than windshields for touring.....

Don't let me talk you into anything - you get what you want.... but just based off your wind comment, I'd probably suggest you stay away from the RK.

Best of Luck!!

Old 12-10-2016, 02:02 PM
J6collins
5th Gear

Originally Posted by C.H.L.
If you see yourself putting on a fairing, I would skip the RK.

I only put my windshield on when it's really cold, or I'm going out of town..... I like the look of the Road King without a shield - but that's just me.

Again, if you see yourself putting on the fairing - I would just buy a Street Glide or Road Glide from the start - you'll be happier that way IMO.

I have riden Street Glides, Road Glides, Ultras, and of course my Road King - I personally feel they are ALL great bikes.... Pros and Cons to all, but all great bikes.....

Personally, I like to just ride behind bars and open air - so, I have a Road King..... BUT, I admit, windshields are better for touring - and Batwings and Shark Noses are far better than windshields for touring.....

Don't let me talk you into anything - you get what you want.... but just based off your wind comment, I'd probably suggest you stay away from the RK.

Best of Luck!!

I rode an rk with a batwing and it did not seem too bad. It was an 03 but still went pretty good. The end state is 17000 for a 16 rk and 19000 for a 16 rg a good deal or should I hold off.

Old 12-10-2016, 02:14 PM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,504 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Is that in USD from an HD dealer in Germany? Then it might be a pretty good deal. Here in the States you can probably do a little better.

Nevertheless less, the King has versatility if that matters to you. I like to take the shield off and cruise or add some detachables for touring. My sig pic is my King in a winter config.

It's more a personal choice but either bike is a good choice.

Old 12-10-2016, 02:39 PM
J6collins
5th Gear

Originally Posted by RKZen
Is that in USD from an HD dealer in Germany? Then it might be a pretty good deal. Here in the States you can probably do a little better.

Nevertheless less, the King has versatility if that matters to you. I like to take the shield off and cruise or add some detachables for touring. My sig pic is my King in a winter config.

It's more a personal choice but either bike is a good choice.
This is a US price from military auto source, a contract company at most overseas military locations. It seams to me that no one thinks this is a great deal. I call Laconia, El Paso and quantico hd and they all gave me a quote at least 500 over for both bikes

Quick Reply: Road king vs Road glide otd price