Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I guess the previous owner was a foot STOMPER

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 06:29 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,344 Likes on 1,550 Posts
Default I guess the previous owner was a foot STOMPER

Got another project to work on for 2017 (1989 FLHTCU). This is my hobby and I've done several bikes and run across lots of strange things, most of which could have been avoided with proper maintenance and not trying to go the cheapest route.
This time it's shifting linkage, specifically the shift arm on the transmission. The bike has several small issues so I didn't ride it and expected everything I've run across until today. The linkage was sloppy so after a quick check bushing up front were good, but the shift arm and possibly the shaft are stripped. I was able to loosen the arm and move it in, on the shaft getting some grip.
I think the culprit was the heel shifter position and a rider who may have stomped it. While the front lever/pad was much too low to get my foot under, maybe 1" off the floor board, the rear lever was 2" above the floor board. The hex bolts on front and rear levers both were stripped (not the problem and ruining them didn't fix a thing) guess he thought he was accomplishing something.
Oh well, looks like the inner and outer primary will have to come off at a minimum so I can change the lever. Hope the shaft is still good enough.
Rear lever gone away never to be seen again.

Last edited by TSheff; 01-17-2017 at 07:36 PM.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:43 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 394 Likes on 336 Posts

Could be he had a maladjusted clutch or primary chain...while the primary drive is off, look at your belt and swingarm...that'd be the time to do it.

mike

Old 01-18-2017, 01:44 AM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

Working on a few touring bikes over the years I have noticed the rear lever being loose a lot. I think that is most of the problem. Also the shift levers will come loose if not checked and loctited. Most people who ride Harleys barely know where the engine is at, let alone how to maintain them.

Old 01-18-2017, 04:52 AM
Goose_NC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,182 Likes on 1,960 Posts

On many bikes wih tis issue, I will buy a new lever. When installing, I tighten the lever, drill a 1/8 or 3/16 hole between the lever and shaft, running down the shaft, making a round keyway. Loosen the lever, insert a solid pin or a roll pin with lock tight, and tighten the lever. I done this on several bikes now. Never had any more issues.

Old 01-18-2017, 07:00 AM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,524 Likes on 1,421 Posts

Every time I wash my bike, It's up on the jack, it's blown dry with the leaf blower, and I wipe it down with detail spray on micro fiber towels. I pull and tug on EVERY piece of the bike I can get to, including the shift linkage. It's almost like a game: "There is a loose part somewhere- FIND IT". My last loose find was the rear turn signal bar, on one side.
These bikes are big time shakers. Does not matter if we bought it brand new, used, or had it and have checked it for a long time, they justify that component of maintenance. Then add to that acquiring someone else's bike that has not been kept up, and a rider with bad habits, man it's "Game on".

Old 01-18-2017, 07:16 AM
Jeff's 1st Harley
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I do the same thing with the leaf blower, gotta get that water out of the electoral.

Old 01-18-2017, 07:40 AM
BuckeyeUltra
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Working on the same issue right now with a 2011...total drive off to fix it correctly.

Went with Baker shifter lever, look into that - much better quality than the OEM lever.

While I was in there opted to fix my compensator with a Baker too. Now debating on swapping out auto tension to an older deign like you may have... I'm pretty deep into it at this point why not go all the way!

Old 01-18-2017, 08:24 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by TSheff
This time it's shifting linkage, specifically the shift arm on the transmission. The bike has several small issues so I didn't ride it and expected everything I've run across until today. The linkage was sloppy so after a quick check bushing up front were good, but the shift arm and possibly the shaft are stripped. I was able to loosen the arm and move it in, on the shaft getting some grip.
If you're referring to the shifter shaft in the front of the primary chaincase, I only recently replaced that on my 1990 Glide with a new one, so the part is still available.

Old 01-18-2017, 09:11 AM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,344 Likes on 1,550 Posts

Originally Posted by Goose_NC
On many bikes wih tis issue, I will buy a new lever. When installing, I tighten the lever, drill a 1/8 or 3/16 hole between the lever and shaft, running down the shaft, making a round keyway. Loosen the lever, insert a solid pin or a roll pin with lock tight, and tighten the lever. I done this on several bikes now. Never had any more issues.

Exactly what I was planning to do.

Old 01-18-2017, 09:22 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,749 Likes on 18,546 Posts

This time it's shifting linkage, specifically the shift arm on the transmission ... This is a common problem. On many applications it's quite a chore to remove the lever form the shift shaft of the transmission. I've found success by removing the pinch bolt, taking a new bolt to use as a chase ( do not use a tap ) along with a lubricant to clean out the threads, then after cleaning the threads with brake clean insert another new bolt ( along with a bit of Loc-Tite ) and torquing it down. I've seen this work many times. There is also a "BetterLever" but they are quite expensive.

Quick Reply: I guess the previous owner was a foot STOMPER