General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keeping your wrists warm in cold weather riding

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 08:33 PM
Frank the Real Biker
Road Master
Received 781 Likes on 302 Posts
Default Keeping your wrists warm in cold weather riding

I wear good quality gauntlet style cold weather gloves and a riding jacket with velcro strips on the ends of the sleeves to tighten them up, but I will still occasionally get a cold draft sneaking onto my wrists. The other day I was about to toss out a few old socks that had developed holes in the heels when I had an idea. I made some wrist warmers out of 'em.

I cut the tops off of the socks and put a small hole near the "top" of the ribbed part. Put them on, stuck my thumbs in the holes, pulled them over my jacket sleeves, and bingo! I put on the rest of my normal cold weather gear and took the bike out in the upper 30s degree weather to test 'em. They worked fine. Heck...they'll be handy in all sorts of cold weather activities. Not just riding.

Not a big deal, but for the price it can't be beat.

Old 01-17-2017, 08:51 PM
SWThomas
Stellar HDF Member
Received 993 Likes on 590 Posts

Pretty cool idea. I just wear gauntlet gloves.

Old 01-17-2017, 08:56 PM
lmar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,073 Likes on 2,055 Posts

Great idea!

Old 01-18-2017, 02:24 AM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 703 Likes on 466 Posts

Am I crazy or does that jacket seem really short in the sleeves?

Pretty cool though.

Old 01-18-2017, 02:47 AM
StoneyFatBoy
Road Master
Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts

When I was 16 I used to date a girl who wore things just like this on her arms, only said naughty and the other said nice

Old 01-18-2017, 07:39 AM
Frank the Real Biker
Road Master
Received 781 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by baka1969
Am I crazy or does that jacket seem really short in the sleeves?

Pretty cool though.
That is just my flannel shirt. I was too lazy to go out to the shop and get my riding jacket for the photo.

Originally Posted by StoneyFatBoy
When I was 16 I used to date a girl who wore things just like this on her arms, only said naughty and the other said nice
I see lots of women wearing them. Must be because women always seem to be cold. My wife is cold 24/7 from about mid September to the end of April. The most common phrase she utters during that time is "It's freezing in here!" I worked with a lady (police/FD/EMS dispatchers) who was cold all the time. During the winter months I'd go in to relieve her from her shift and it'd be 80 degrees in the room. She would be wearing a sweater, thin gloves, a hat and furry boots...with a portable heater running under her console by her feet. (I was sure that one day her boots would burst into flames!) Granted, she was one of those tiny 100 pound gals who had no insulation on her bones...but still! Damn it was warm in there.

As a teenager I remember a finding pair of government issued wrist warmers in an old trunk that my dad brought back from his time in Europe during WWII. The material was the same as a knitted stocking cap. I wore them a lot. I suppose they allowed a soldier to keep his hands warm and still be able to pull a trigger. They looked like this:

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 01-18-2017 at 03:44 PM.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:06 AM
RWTDCT
Road Captain
Received 90 Likes on 82 Posts

Although I probable will not do this its a great Idea, and its free.

Old 01-18-2017, 10:53 AM
fishslapr
Cruiser
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Duluth's has Thermal underwear with thumb holes in the sleeves

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/m...cessor=content

Old 01-18-2017, 11:19 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

The ONLY problem I have with being cold is the pads of my finger tips = THE ONLY PLACE. I have not figured a way to fix that in 15 years. I have tried a couple different heated gloves and I have the heated grips. My fingers are skinny and long so they don't contact the grips surface and all the glove mfg's wire the fingers around the sides not top to bottom. I asked Gerbing a few years ago if they would rewire my gloves to go top to bottom and they said no. The sides of my fingers don't get cold, just the pads.
What I have to do now is scrunch up my fingers so they do contact the grips, but that's not very comfortable or safe. I have only found 2 or 3 others with the same problem = not many of us out there, which really surprises me.

I have also tried silk glove liners to no affect. I think mittens would be the same. For me the only solution would be the wires to run from top to bottom.

Anyone have any ideas???

Old 01-18-2017, 11:21 AM
wideglideCVO
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,380 Likes on 808 Posts

You should patent them.

Quick Reply: Keeping your wrists warm in cold weather riding