EVO All Evo Model Discussion

1998 Heritage Classic Value/Should I Buy?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 08:53 AM
Scott2.0
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 Heritage Classic Value/Should I Buy?

Hey all, hoping for some quick advice. About to pull the trigger on a really nice looking '98 Heritage Classic. I'd be buying from the second owner who's had it the past 15 years. It's really clean, sounds great, rides like a dream and comes with a huge folder of maintenance records.

The owner says it has an S&S carb and an aftermarket cam. It pulls stronger than hell but won't idle on it's own without a little throttle every so often. The ignition lock is broken and the odometer's LCD is scrambled, making it tough to real the mileage. I feel confident in the claimed 24k miles though based on service records and shining the odo with a flashlight to make out the numbers.

So, two questions. Can I fix the ignition lock (he's been using a master lock on the forks) and the odometer reasonably and is this thing worth $5,100? Seems like a steal, just need some advice.

Thanks in advance!!

Old 01-18-2017, 09:01 AM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,139 Likes on 6,210 Posts

I wouldn't call it a steal in this depressed market, but it is a decent deal. I'd buy it.

Ignition switch is a breeze to change. The ignition switch has nothing to do with locking the forks. These bikes only have the homes for using a locking on the fork and neck.

S&S carburetors are easy to tune, so no biggie there.

Those are aftermarket bags, probably Viking. Seat looks like it might be saddleman. Windshield is missing.

I hate haggling but I think I would try to get it for $4,500, especially if the windshield is missing.

Old 01-18-2017, 09:04 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

New speedometer is $499.78 part number 67027-96C
New ignition switch is $120.02 part number 71313-96A
The idle problem is probably just an adjustment.

I'd take that information and $4.5k in one pocket and $500 in the other and start at $4.5k to start and see where you can get.

That said I think that thing is worth every bit of the $5100 asking price but most people set their asking price a bit higher than they really expect to get.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Old 01-18-2017, 09:09 AM
Scott2.0
Advanced

Originally Posted by Prot
I wouldn't call it a steal in this depressed market, but it is a decent deal. I'd buy it.

Ignition switch is a breeze to change. The ignition switch has nothing to do with locking the forks. These bikes only have the homes for using a locking on the fork and neck.

S&S carburetors are easy to tune, so no biggie there.

Those are aftermarket bags, probably Viking. Seat looks like it might be saddleman. Windshield is missing.

I hate haggling but I think I would try to get it for $4,500, especially if the windshield is missing.
Great info, thanks. I should have mentioned this, but it comes with two windshields (OEM and a shorter one), the OEM bags (not currently on the bike...good eye!), sissy bar, larger passenger pillion, maintenance records and a service manual.

Regarding the ignition, I'm almost positive that there's a lock setting. That's just to lock the ignition, if I had a working key?

So given all that, it sounds like a green light. How would you address the odometer? I'm pretty confident that the mileage is accurately represented, I'm mostly concerned about being able to track mileage for fuel stops.

Old 01-18-2017, 09:12 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Originally Posted by Scott2.0
Great info, thanks. I should have mentioned this, but it comes with two windshields (OEM and a shorter one), the OEM bags (not currently on the bike...good eye!), sissy bar, larger passenger pillion, maintenance records and a service manual.

Regarding the ignition, I'm almost positive that there's a lock setting. That's just to lock the ignition, if I had a working key?

So given all that, it sounds like a green light. How would you address the odometer? I'm pretty confident that the mileage is accurately represented, I'm mostly concerned about being able to track mileage for fuel stops.
Sometimes you can bring back an LCD display by cleaning the pickup bolted to the transmission.

There is no lock setting on a softail ignition switch.

Old 01-18-2017, 09:14 AM
Scott2.0
Advanced

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
New speedometer is $499.78 part number 67027-96C
New ignition switch is $120.02 part number 71313-96A
The idle problem is probably just an adjustment.

I'd take that information and $4.5k in one pocket and $500 in the other and start at $4.5k to start and see where you can get.

That said I think that thing is worth every bit of the $5100 asking price but most people set their asking price a bit higher than they really expect to get.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Thanks! He's firm as hell at $5,100. Said he realized he priced it lower than he should have by the number of calls he's gotten.

Speedo and ignition seem to be easy fixes. When replacing the speedometer, how do I have the current mileage set on it?

Old 01-18-2017, 09:19 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Originally Posted by Scott2.0
Thanks! He's firm as hell at $5,100. Said he realized he priced it lower than he should have by the number of calls he's gotten.

Speedo and ignition seem to be easy fixes. When replacing the speedometer, how do I have the current mileage set on it?
If you get a new one from the dealership then they will have it set for you.

He may have gotten a lot of calls but apparently no one is serious as he still has the bike. JMO

Old 01-18-2017, 09:20 AM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,139 Likes on 6,210 Posts

To clarify, the ignition will not lock the forks, but there is a key to lock it, thereby preventing someone from starting it and stealing it as easily.

Old 01-18-2017, 09:22 AM
Scott2.0
Advanced

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
If you get a new one from the dealership then they will have it set for you.

He may have gotten a lot of calls but apparently no one is serious as he still has the bike. JMO
It's been listed for a couple weeks but he just put pics up yesterday and the guy doesn't have the word HARLEY in his ad, so it's not getting the looks that it should. I made him a $4,800 cash offer and he wouldn't take it. I think $5,100 is fair, but needed some confirmation.

Old 01-18-2017, 09:23 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 70,010 Likes on 21,322 Posts

Looks like a good buy if you're in the market.
Heritage's always been at the top of my list for looks and comfort both.

Quick Reply: 1998 Heritage Classic Value/Should I Buy?